OMY - Not so fast ( Today was THE DAY)

foxfirev5

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In a post earlier this month I admitted being lured into OMY with the promise of easier duties and less travel. Well, wouldn't you know it but the bean counters intervened and I actually ended up with MORE geography to cover!

Today I sent my boss my plans to retire in a couple of months. For real. He called me and we had a nice discussion. I plan on taking the high road and leaving with no task undone and my reputation intact. First thing on the schedule, a long vacation in a warmer climate! This was the toughest decision I've faced after 36 years at the same company. Markets going down and a pension that will buy a couple bags of groceries, on the other hand I've got COH to get me through the first ten years. You just reach a point where you need to take the plunge. Until you hit the send button you really don't know how it will feel. Now I do. FREEDOM!!!!:dance:

Congratulations! I remember that feeling when one finally makes that decision and communicates it to your boss. Very empowering! Enjoy your future!

first of all, Congratulations!

secondly, I checked the acronym page and didn't find "COH".

What is it?

first of all, Congratulations!

secondly, I checked the acronym page and didn't find "COH".

What is it?

I believe Cash on Hand.
Congratulations to the OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks All. Yes COH is cash on hand - from my accounting 101 in the '70's

Congratulations! I think it is pretty unlikely you'll regret it. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

I tried the COH route, but it was too much trouble. I kept dropping it all over the place, and my knees aren't good so having to squat down to pick it up again was a pain, not to mention running after it if it was windy. Now I prefer CIM (Cash-in-Mattress).

Congratulations! Sounds like you reached the tipping point. Best of luck!

Congratulations!

Congratulations! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I fantasize about hitting that "send" button myself.

I'm happy for you that you know how it actually feels!

Next twist. My boss told today that my concerns have been addressed. I thanked him and told him that I'm sure whoever takes the job will appreciate that. I think he's in some kind of denial.

Excellent news. Now go and enjoy the rest of your life. Congrats!

Congratulations! Oh how I wish I was in your shoes right now...one day.

Congrats on sticking to your guns! Now start that countdown calendar!

My hands start to sweat just reading about pressing the send button, and I'm only a couple months away from doing it myself. How can I anticipate that moment so keenly, yet feel such a sense of anxiety about it at the same time?

Anyway, congratulations firefox on making the commitment and sticking to it!

Next twist. My boss told today that my concerns have been addressed. I thanked him and told him that I'm sure whoever takes the job will appreciate that. I think he's in some kind of denial.
After getting no raises for 2 years, I pulled the plug! I found out later they had to hire 3 people to replace me LOL

Foxfirev5, what is your fixed retirement DATE? Have you given your boss a letter of resignation (if that is appropriate in your position) with that date stated?

If your plan is to do some travelling to begin with, where to? Have you bought your first one-way, non-refundable ticket yet?

I'm looking for commitment here. Sounds like your boss doesn't see you as committed yet. I hear you talking the talk, I want to see if you are walking the walk. :nonono:

Last edited:
OldPro - Oh yes I put in writing with a specific date 5/6/16. I even had trusted coworkers review it to avoid any misinterpretation. Hopefully I'll be in South Florida by Saturday night. No need for a one way since I do want to return home.
My only possible regret is that I probably shouldn't have given so much notice. Trying to be upfront and honest doesn't always work. After all this still is the corporate world I'm dealing with.

So your retirement date is this Friday? I thought it was a few months from now.

Here's hoping the current downturn is limited and temporary.
Best to retire into a rising market unless your income does not depend much on CG's

Back
Top Bottom