One More Use for Duct Tape

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Came up with one more use for Duct Tape!

Somehow, my pool ended up with some small deposits of sand sitting on the bottom. Vacuumed it up only to have it return in a day or two. Vacuumed again with the same result.

Determined that it must be so fine that the filter doesn't catch it, only to eventually pump it back into the pool. Worried that it would eventually damage the liner; at best, just doesn't look nice. Luckily it all gets deposited in the shallow end.

Idea #1: Put a very fine filter on the outlet. No, the flow is very strong and would blow the filter apart.

Idea #2: Somehow choke down my shop vac to maybe a quarter inch tube so as to not instantly flood the vac. Might work, but maybe not.

Came up with this: Stand in the pool. Wrap about 10 inches of Duct Tape sticky side out into a circle and stick your foot inside. Then, just lightly press down on the sand, moving place to place. Repeat as the tape stops working, falls apart, etc.

It works! I can feel the fine grit on the tape.

I expect to have to do it a few times to get all of it but thought I'd pass it along

Reason #83 on why I will never have another pool.....

Did the reverse in May. Had an Aircast on for a couple of weeks and it was gardening season so that was not going to work. Put a plastic bag over the foot portion of the cast, wrapped the bag in duct tape. Voila, very robust, reusable, custom overshoe. Felt like I was a one of Napoleon's soldiers on the retreat from Moscow as far as footwear went a few times! Had to be sure to remove before exiting the homestead.

As far as the pool goes, kids are grown, 3 of 4 gone and kidless so didn't even open it this year. Not missing it at all.

Came up with this: Stand in the pool. Wrap about 10 inches of Duct Tape sticky side out into a circle and stick your foot inside. Then, just lightly press down on the sand, moving place to place. Repeat as the tape stops working, falls apart, etc.

But if the issue comes back in the cool season, that doesn't sound fun!

I have a Pool Blaster mini vac for this sort of thing - doesn't vacuum to the filter, it's a hand vac on a pole.

Somehow, my pool ended up with some small deposits of sand sitting on the bottom. Vacuumed it up only to have it return in a day or two. Vacuumed again with the same result.

Determined that it must be so fine that the filter doesn't catch it, only to eventually pump it back into the pool. Worried that it would eventually damage the liner; at best, just doesn't look nice. Luckily it all gets deposited in the shallow end.

Idea #1: Put a very fine filter on the outlet. No, the flow is very strong and would blow the filter apart.

Idea #2: Somehow choke down my shop vac to maybe a quarter inch tube so as to not instantly flood the vac. Might work, but maybe not.

I expect to have to do it a few times to get all of it but thought I'd pass it along

You've invented home-made sandpaper :LOL:

Curious: Have you figured out where the sand is coming from - and if it's going away as you duct-tape it away? Do you have a sand filter that is leaking the fines?

Curious: Have you figured out where the sand is coming from - and if it's going away as you duct-tape it away? Do you have a sand filter that is leaking the fines?

It's a brand new pool. They had to use sand for some leveling and I suspect one of the workers had sandy feet when installing the liner. (A candidate for the Incompetent Workers thread.)

It's not a lot, maybe six or eight nickle sized gobs, just annoying and I expect after one or two more dabs, I'll be all set.

Last edited:
It's a brand new pool. They had to use sand for some leveling and I suspect one of the workers had sandy feet when installing the liner. (A candidate for the Incompetent Workers thread.)

It's not a lot, maybe six or eight nickle sized gobs, just annoying and I expect after one or two more dabs, I'll be all set.

I was sitting here thinking: "I wonder if it's windblown sand?"

Thanks for the clarification. I can quit speculating now.:blush:

I have found duct tape works very well as a temporary band aid when a regular one is not available. May not be the best for avoiding infection and may not be fun to pull off but if you need to stop the flow of blood quick then it works very well.

Any good DIY repair person :), has 5 basic things in "their" tool box. A hammer, screwdriver, pliers, WD40 and duct tape. The more advanced DIY'er, simply have added a selection of bigger hammers.

Last edited:
I have found duct tape works very well as a temporary band aid when a regular one is not available. May not be the best for avoiding infection and may not be fun to pull off but if you need to stop the flow of blood quick then it works very well.

Yes, especially for grievous wounds. It also allows for creating a pressure bandage with almost any cloth available. Make it tight as you need to.

Yes, especially for grievous wounds. It also allows for creating a pressure bandage with almost any cloth available. Make it tight as you need to.

Also is supposed to remove warts. Put some DT like a bandaid for a week and voila!

BTW, I find this brand stinks! But it is cute.
ce747f12-0837-4213-a31a-66f3560fc5b5_2.a38c9053c2c75c4769048cb6ff497247.jpeg

It's also great with a little gauze or on top of band aids, to hold and protect the heel of a foot (blisters) when wearing new cheap unlined work boots for 9 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom