One More WWII Veteran has Left Us

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Arnold Ray Lambert passed away this past Friday April 9, 2021. He was 100 years old. Ray was a medic serving in WW2 with 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, part of the Army’s 1st Division — the “Big Red One.” He took part in the Allied invasions of North Africa and Sicily and landed on June 6, 1944, on the sands of Omaha Beach.

Ray will be missed.

Not that many left.

My father was in the 3rd Infantry Division and fought his way across North Africa, Sicily, and up through Italy until he was shot near Naples. That got him sent back to the US to recuperate so that was the end of the war for him.

About 300,000 U.S. World War II veterans are alive in 2020, according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). ... Most living veterans from the war are in their 90s, though some are considerably older.

Of the 350,000 women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the war, about 14,500 are alive today.

From that write up, his neighbor and friend wrote:
“My father would never say anything about what happened to him. When I was young and the news would come on with coverage from the Vietnam War, he would leave the room in tears,” Simpkins said. “Having Ray tell me about his experiences gave me a lot of insight into my own father. I had never known what to ask him, Ray gave me that opportunity.”

That first guy was my dad, and the second was an uncle. So similar.

Thank you for posting this OP.

We were at Pearl Harbor the other day and the park ranger shared there are only two survivors left from the Arizona.

As a Patriot Guard Rider I have attended every combat vets funeral that I could possibly attend. My line of work has also allowed me to cross paths many WWII vets over the years. Personally consider it a great honor....
RIP Sir

Both of my Grandfathers served in the Pacific and have passed on.

Last edited:
There is only one WWII medal of honor recipient left, Woody Williams. I was very pleased that our town erected a Gold Star Family Monument which is an initiative that Woody has supported all across the country. I purchased a paver at the monument to honor my father who served in WWII invasion and european theater.

Attachments

• 25DF5A34-AFF0-4712-92F3-FC8D70022D03.jpeg
    25DF5A34-AFF0-4712-92F3-FC8D70022D03.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 14
My 95yo father passed away this past year. He served in the Pacific theater during WW II.
Part of the greatest generation.
I miss him every day.

Definitely the Greatest Generation.

A few years ago, I was in a parking lot waiting for the valet to deliver my car. I glanced at the gentleman standing next to me waiting for his car and noticed he was wearing a one of those veterans caps. His said "USS Indianapolis".

I asked "Were you on the Indianapolis?" He looked at me and simply said "Yes". Fumbling for something appropriate to say, I instead blundered "It must have been tough". Looking away, he whispered "Yes, it was".

Back
Top Bottom