Online Therapy Options

FLSUnFIRE

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm happy and healthy but dealing with an issue that is causing me some anxiety and am starting to get into a negative feedback loop that I think I may need a little help to work through. -Not easy for a self-sufficient DIY person like me.

Has anyone used and had any success with the online therapy sites like BetterHelp or TalkSpace? Any others I should look at? Through my insurer I don't see many great options (and many seem to not accept insurance anyway) and they are very expensive relative to the online services (one session more than a month subscription cost online) so it seems like they may be a good place to start.

Thanks!

You might look more closely at the options available through your health insurer, or call to inquire about it. Telehealth counseling services are becoming very common. My insurance has a program that connects you to a certified therapist, and provides one-on-one sessions via online video chat ... all covered by insurance. My wife has been using those services for months now, and it has been great for her.

However, regardless of the avenue by which you pursue it, some form of help is almost assuredly better than nothing at all. I understand all too well the hesitancy of seeking help ... but if you can get over that wall, it's worthwhile. And FWIW, getting yourself into a better headspace can provide far-reaching benefits -- productivity, focus, relationships, and others in addition to actually enjoying life again.

My compliments for realizing what's going on and being willing to address it.

In my direct experience and with my kids, getting started with someone is the most important thing. In addition, you may go through a counselor or two before you really connect with one.

I have no experience with any of the online providers. Consider just picking one that fits with your budget/insurance and see how it goes.

Hi. I have a virtual psychotherapy practice in NYS. I am listed on psychologytoday.com & Headway, but I also recommend Alma.

I'm happy and healthy but dealing with an issue that is causing me some anxiety and am starting to get into a negative feedback loop that I think I may need a little help to work through. -Not easy for a self-sufficient DIY person like me.

Has anyone used and had any success with the online therapy sites like BetterHelp or TalkSpace? Any others I should look at? Through my insurer I don't see many great options (and many seem to not accept insurance anyway) and they are very expensive relative to the online services (one session more than a month subscription cost online) so it seems like they may be a good place to start.

Thanks!

It sounds like an interesting concept. Honestly, I hadn't heard of it. Of course, everything else is on line, so why not therapy?

I would want to be certain of things like privacy, credentials, costs, insurance coverage, individual therapist right off the top of my head.

Best luck in finding what you are looking for. I hope someone here has some experience to share.

Telehealth providers got a big boost from Covid-19. I worked with someone before and during Covid-19, remotely. I think it's more challenging to do it online, but some providers are very talented. For me, I prefer things like EMDR in person.

Normally, insurance doesn't work with councilors with a masters degree(I think LCSW may be an exception), so look at the certifications cause the insurance company will.

Last edited:
I have (and am very happy with) a HDHP so it will all be OOP for me and since this is a subscribed expense I'd like to start with a less expensive option. I will contact my insurer to see what their options are and if about the same cost I'll use them so it applies to my deductible but I'm no where close to hitting it (unless something really bad happens to me).

Our insurance covers in person or Telehealth and/or FaceTime options.
All work well when you are ready to receive the care.

Good for you to recognize the need. Therapy can work wonders.

HeyPi.com is an interesting AI tool which seems to be based on CBT. It’s not as good as a therapist but if found it useful in reframing and getting compassionate responses to my questions.

I've never tried online therapy but seems the telehealth would be ideal for that setting. Plus, no physical traffic to mess with.

I don't have any personal experience, but I would say it's worth a try or two given the cost differential, especially when you seem to have a pretty good handle on what's causing the issue. If you aren't happy with your first two or three tries, then you might look for someone who does hybrid work - the first session or two in person, then usually virtual unless in-person is clearly better, with a reduced rather for the virtual sessions. I have a friend who has gone that route and been very happy with it.

I have Blue Cross and when I suddenly felt a dire need for help in dealing with stress/insomnia, I found they have several networks listed for mental health. Headway was the easiest for me to navigate and I found someone simpatico. It's all online and I just pay the regular copay.

I used Sondermind. I found a great therapist through it. They match you based upon not very much info. That is you check off things like anxiety or ADHD or whatever and they find someone who matches in terms of licensing and I guess who handles those issues. If you are insured or on Medicare they will find someone who takes that insurance. I am on Medicare and some of the telehealth services will not take Medicare so that was a limiting factor.

They will ask if there are any demographic things that are important to you such as gender, age or whether LGBTQ friendly, etc. And you give a little explanation of what you are looking for.

They sent me originally a match and a link to their profile. I looked at it and then searched online regarding the therapist. I like to look at Psychology Today profile, therapist's website (if any), licensing info and just a general Google search.

Anyway, they are clear that if you don't think the therapist is a fit they will find someone else. I didn't feel the first person was a fit so they sent me someone else. I liked her but they removed her from my list as she got full and wasn't accepting new people. I then realized I really wanted someone over 40 (they were giving me very young therapists) so I wrote and added that as a criteria. Then I found the person I worked with. We exchanged a few messages online and then I think I talked to her by phone and we decided to see how things would go.

Worked out great. I loved doing the telehealth sessions (I see her via the camera on my computer and vice versa). I will likely never see an in person therapist ever again.

That said, she herself was not enthused about Sondermind. I think from a provider standpoint they were difficult to work with. From my standpoint it was fine. They are not in every state including the one I now live in (recently moved).

If your current insurance covers teletherapy, I would try that first. Based on state licensing laws, you should be able to see any therapist in the state, which allows you more options than in person, local. This way you can choose who you want, based on profile and reviews. Get on a number of waiting lists, and try the first option you have. If you are satisfied, you can cancel the others.

If the cost is an issue, you can try the online therapists. Generally speaking, they tend to be new therapists, or those who have not been successful in building a private practice. The rates they pay are substandard, so a they are not of interest to anyone who has a solid practice. Based on your concerns, a new therapist should NOT be an issue, because they are all trained in dealing with your type of concern. General issues with depression, anxiety, burn out, loss, or negative cycles are pretty straight forward. If you have an option, choose someone who provides CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), as this is the most effective for challenging negative or irrational beliefs and making progress with mood and behavior changes. If you don’t like the therapist, ask for another until you find one that is a good match. Ask for homework if they don’t give you any. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom