Opening Fidelity account virtually ?

So in the case of someone that has never opened any bank or investment accounts on their own, Fidelity’s authentication won’t allow an online account application.

In these rare circumstances there needs to be a paper application with actual signature. I did this yesterday.

In the case of 2FA, when a land line is only phone number then you must call Fidelity (it’s in the drop down of choices) to get the code to proceed (did that today).
Also, you must enter an email address for the account no matter what.

I’m exhausted !

It would not let me register him without a mobile phone (from a desktop computer). Unless you are supposed to lie and put a landline and hope they don't notice. Customer service said "just skip it" but the form says you did not fill it out. Rep was polite but had no solutions as he kept saying you can't do anything without texting. Somehow every bank or whatever I deal with can send an email or call but either they don't or rep does not know it. It was too much bother to me to try to get said relative on board with any of this.

I find it is hard enough to make myself do things I do not like but IMPOSSIBLE to help other people who won't go along with things they need help with :( It is a good thing I was never a social worker or some other profession like that as I find my patience is pretty limited.

I believe they can call you with a 2fa code. You do not necessarily need to text.
When I log in with user name and password it goes to the next screen that says "Extra Security Step Required". And asks how you would like to receive your code. "Text Me" or "Call Me". I just tested out the Call Me feature and I received an automated call immediately with the 2fa code.
Maybe things have been changed since you last tried to help your relative?

Last edited:
Did the call me with a code option. Tried multiple times. It didn’t work.
Convinced rep to add a cell number while on the line, but it supposedly won’t activate for 3 business days.
I agree with those that said they’ve never been in a Fidelity office. I never had either. For a elderly novice it’s more complicated.

Well can one phone be used for multiple accounts in different house holds? I am going to open one for me as well I just have not got around to it yet.

Yes it can. I use my number for both my mom's account and mine to get the 2FA code. My brother even has my number as a backup in his profile at Fidelity. We've tested it and was able to get SMS code for his account.

Also, Fidelity SMS works with Google Voice numbers as well. So you could sign up for a GV number.

Fyi I use my GV number at Fidelity for SMS as that would stop a SIM hack. I use GV number instead of my cell where I can. Though not all places will work with GV SMS.

I've only been to a Fidelity office once. When I rolled over my 401K after retirement, I didn't feel comfortable putting that rollover check in the mail so I drove to the nearest Fidelity office & hand delivered it.

Aside from that, everything's been done online or (on one or two occasions) via mail. I don't think I've ever called them on the phone.

The same has generally been true for at least a couple decades for everything other than accounts at local brick & mortar banks which I tend to set up in person. I do remember I used to hand deliver Roth IRA checks to the local Scottrade office every year when my account was there; I can't remember now why I didn't just do it online.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom