operating Firefox extensions

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm helping someone with a recent Firefox version for Windows. Years ago it used to be that installed Firefox extensions appeared as icons in the toolbar or upper right, and clicking an icon let you operate that extension. Now, no icons appear. We can enable or disable an installed extension, but there's no icon or obvious way to access its features and configure it. How does one do that now?

Is there a ">>" icon near the upper right-hand corner? If so, click on the icon and see if the extension icons are listed there. If so, you should be able to select "Customize toolbar..." to being up the "Overflow Menu". From there, right-click on an extension icon you want visible on the toolbar and select "Unpin from Overflow Menu".

Last edited:
thanks for the ideas, there is no >> icon right clicking on the toolbar offers Customize Toolbar, choosing it brings up "Drag your favorite items into the toolbar..." but no extension icons appear there, so still stuck

Look for the extensions button. Looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece. Click on that.

the jigsaw brings us to the Manage Your Extensions page, where extension can be disabled entirely, and Permissions set, but there is no way to access features of the extensions themselves

Try Control/Shift/A - All at the same time. :)

Last edited:
Can't help with the problem, I'm afraid, but I do see the icons in the top right, as you describe in the OP. Using version 116.0, 64 bit W11.

Ctrl+Shift+A brings up the Manage Your Extensions dead end

The only time I've seen this on someone's PC with Firefox was when they were running in Private Mode and the extensions were not allowed to run in Private Mode.

we have a winner! thank you! the extensions were not permitted in private windows, and private windows are the default, apparently

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom