Oregon Coast vacation advise needed

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
chuck

When I visit family in Central Oregon, we always spend a few days along the Central Coast and go up as north as Cannon Beach. My favorites are Cannon Beach, Manzanita (but not much to do there compared to Cannon Beach), Depoe Bay (Tidal Raves Restaurant has great views), and Yachats (Luna Seafish House is good). Don't care for Seaside or Lincoln City. We stay wherever we can find an oceanfront room with balcony or patio for a reasonable price e.g., several hotels north of Yachats, at Manzanita.

Pick up a copy of the Highway 101 Mile-by-Mile Guide as there are lots of turnoffs and it is easy to miss one when you have cars behind you on 101. Some favorite stops are Otter Rock with the Devil's Punchbowl, Seal Rock, Cape Perpetua, and Heceta Head LH which may have tours.

I have not been there for the lack of time but the 35 mile Three Capes Scenic Loop between Tillamook and Pacific City is supposed to be beautiful with state parks at each cape and it is west of Highway 101 so should be a nice drive and off the beaten path.

So many enjoy our coast that driving south on 101 is preferable to north-bound because you will not need to cross traffic to stop and enjoy the view.

We enjoyed Astoria as well as the other suggestions made earlier. Astoria has a great Columbia River Maritime Museum that you can easily spend a morning or afternoon wandering around in.

+1. Astoria is a great time. If you overnight there, make sure to have earplugs to drown out the constant sea lion bellowing.

We drove from Seattle to LA along the coast with a 3 day stop in Yosemite. We heeded advice to drive southbound - better views from the outside lane and easier to turn out at scenic points.

Back
Top Bottom