Overthinking Decorating Decisions and Too Many Choices in General

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm faced with buying a rug for my new living space. I'd like a good quality wool oriental to add color, texture, and warmth. Although I'm not at all adverse to buying on Craigslist or ebay I shy away from doing so for textiles or upholstery, including rugs. Just would rather buy new in this situation.

Since this will be a large rug, one I'd plan to keep for years, and fairly expensive I have a hard time buying something off the internet if I can't see it first. I've been to the stores in my area that have rugs but haven't seen anything I like. There are plenty of internet sources especially rugsdirect and rugsusa with hundreds if not thousands of choices. Trouble is that I like lots of them! Too many choices and I am now faced with decorating paralysis, obsessed by rugs. Even this site (especially this site!) is parading a bunch of them across the top right side of the screen as I type this.

There are just too many choices in life these days! I have some compelling (and sick) need to get the "perfect" item when, obviously, lots of items will suffice. When is "good enough" satisfactory?

+1 about the too many choices these days. Just go to a store and look at the toothpaste or cereal aisles. :facepalm:

You know after I posted the above I did take the plunge and order a "good enough" rug. Done--finito.
I do think the internet has contributed so vastly to decision paralysis with all the choices out there. I really hate being in perpetual consumer mode but have to complete some furnishings before this levels off. I hate it.

Why not buy a few in the smallest size (2 by 3) so that you can test some out. The return shipping will not be too bad on a small size.

Some companies--like Ballard Designs--offer swatches. LL Bean has free shipping both ways with their credit card (though a large rug will probably have a surcharge). For those companies too I would try the small size first.

You know after I posted the above I did take the plunge and order a "good enough" rug. Done--finito.
I do think the internet has contributed so vastly to decision paralysis with all the choices out there. I really hate being in perpetual consumer mode but have to complete some furnishings before this levels off. I hate it.

Congratulations! I'm glad you found the right rug. :)

As for the rest of it, good luck and I hope you find some reasonably priced, reasonably sturdy furnishings that you like and that go with the rug.

I always try to remind myself that I'm not married to things--a rug is not very expensive all in all (I am looking at my lovely overstock.com 8' octagonal wool rug that was around $160, free shipping, and whicj I now believe is just perfect), so changing it out wouldn't be a financial disaster.

And no decision is a valid decision too, I've found.

Your story reminds me of the book The Paradox of Choice. I am a more "good enough" person (a satisficer in Schwartz's parlance) but it sound like you are a maximizer...
I read this book a few years back. And I have to remind myself of this as I am choosing the wines for my daughter's wedding.

Dan Ariely also noted this phenomenon in his book "Predictably Irrational" - too many choices resulted in fewer choices being made.
I meant to read this book, but keep forgetting. Am going to the library Web site now.

People in ancient time really knew how to party.

I am thinking 4 cases of wine: two reds and two whites. And of course there will be champagne. And there's hard liquor and a few cases of beer. I told the kids I would take care of the wines, sparking wine, and the Cognac. They can chose their beers and the other spirits.

Regarding the biblical no-nonsense suggestion, come to think of it, as it will be an open bar, the only thing definitely served last will be the sparkling wine. Perhaps I should not spend too much on that case. :)

I will say ref weddings that it will depend on the ages of those attending. Younger folks rarely get the chance to drink for free, so tend to dip into the liquor pretty hard. Or at least that's been my experience. Older folks are a bit more restrained.
And you are right, whatever is last to be drunk should definitely be the cheapest, because it won't matter so much by then. :)

I will say ref weddings that it will depend on the ages of those attending. Younger folks rarely get the chance to drink for free, so tend to dip into the liquor pretty hard. Or at least that's been my experience. Older folks are a bit more restrained.
And you are right, whatever is last to be drunk should definitely be the cheapest, because it won't matter so much by then. :)

I just came back from Total Wine. Talked with a sales rep there, and got everything taken care of. The kids already got their chosen beers, but I got them more Chard, Cab, French sparking wine, plenty of VSOP French Cognac, tequila, rum, vodka. Everything with 90 points rating or higher.

I even came home with a bottle of anejo tequila and 'nother Cognac for myself.

PS. By the way, the attendees are 40-50% above 50. The younger people can certainly drink more because their tolerance of alcohol is higher. I can still remember when I could do 1/2 bottle of Cognac in one sitting. But now, I think I have plenty of everything to take home after the party.

Last edited:
That sounds like it will be a great party! Good job on getting it all done in one trip to Total Wine. I love that place!
And you will surely have leftovers with those demographics.

That sounds like it will be a great party! Good job on getting it all done in one trip to Total Wine.

To tie this to the thread topic, I reminded myself that I could be shopping forever, or just went with some bottles that have good ratings and reviews and have a good price. Chances are that nobody would care. These are better wine bottles than I normally drink anyway. Well, not for the Cognac and some liquors. :)

And you will surely have leftovers with those demographics.
I certainly hope so. After all the money that is spent, booze is the last thing that I want to skimp on, and run out.

On the other hand, at a recent niece's wedding I asked and was told that they did not have a whole lot left starting with 4 cases of wine. And they also supplied some beers. This was the same demographics, and a smaller guest list than we will have.

Good thing we can bring our own booze and these wedding venues only charge for pouring. Else, it would cost 3x or 4x more, if they charge restaurant rack rates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom