Pa Filial Law

This would have destroyed DS, who's my only child. I divorced when DS was 12; the Ex had been unemployed for 5 years, refused any divorce agreement that would have left him with child support responsibilities, never paid a dime towards DS' support and eventually died from alcohol abuse.

DS, thank God, turned out to be a wonderful young man who's now supporting a stay-at-home wife and my 3 beloved grandchildren with a good job. I can't imagine him being held responsible for the Ex's LTC. In fact, I'd step in and pay it first but that would just reduce DS' inheritance.

If the parents did that shifty stuff to move everything into the kids' names before the 5-year look-back, or created an irrevocable trust that benefited the kids, maybe it's fair- but it wouldn't be in the vast majority of cases.

California has filial law as well but I have never come across a case where it is used.

I believe many states have exception to these laws such as if you are already retired or past a certain age they won't hold you liable.

Back
Top Bottom