Patio umbrella

Interesting. No I cannot put the base off the patio so maybe a cantilever will not work. I have not seen any of the other folks in our CCRC using cantilever umbrellas, they all use traditional umbrellas I guess that is why.
Have you asked all the other folks with umbrellas? Might be your best source…

Have you asked all the other folks with umbrellas? Might be your best source…

Good idea. I think I will also post on the CCRC board and ask if anyone has an umbrella that want to get rid of. I checked with the CCRC resale shop and they do not have any.

I don't know if you have a Publix anywhere near you (I think they are in NC?) their do carry umbrellas. (they have outdoor stuff in one of their ongoing weekly circulars) You have to order at Customer service, and wait about a week. They have a basic crank/tilt in many colors, 9ft, $49. Might be a good one to try and then decide if you need more functions later - but at that price you can donate it come next year and not be out of pocket hardly.

I don't know if you have a Publix anywhere near you (I think they are in NC?) their do carry umbrellas. (they have outdoor stuff in one of their ongoing weekly circulars) You have to order at Customer service, and wait about a week. They have a basic crank/tilt in many colors, 9ft, $49. Might be a good one to try and then decide if you need more functions later - but at that price you can donate it come next year and not be out of pocket hardly.

Thanks for that idea. There are Publix in NC but none near us but we have a nearby Walmart that has the same basic umbrella for $49. We could get the cheap umbrella and use it for a while to see if we like it before we get the more expensive umbrella. Heck at that price you could just get a new one every couple of years and come out ahead price wise.

I posted about umbrellas on my CCRC Message board and several people have invited us over to see their patios so we are going to see what other folks have.

Also, most of the smaller umbrellas are easy to put up and take down. We have a few that we take out of the base and lay them down or take them inside our breakfast nook until the storm passes. Most of even the smaller umbrellas tilt.

Consider getting 3-4 strong poles that are 8-10 feet high, sink the end of each into a coffee can or something filled with concrete. Attach a "sail" to the poles to provide coverage over all/part of the patio and enjoy.

Buy inexpensive one in the Fall when sales are plentiful at Home Goods , Academy etc
You can just replace every few years with new colors. Less boring

Op here with an update. Bought cheap patio umbrella ($80) from Amazon in hunter green with solar powered lights. Looks great and love the lights in the evening. If I have to replace it in year or two that is OK. I bought a more expensive heavy umbrella base that you fill with sand that has locking wheels that I can move around on the patio. All good. For the mosquito problem I bought Thermacell Rechargeable Mosquito repellent, $35 on Amazon, covers 20 foot area. The charge lasts 10 hours and the repellent lasts 12 hours (have bought more repellent). IT REALLY WORKS. I have been sitting out in the evenings at dusk and not a single mosquito (a few gnats seen but not many). I will start a separate thread on the Mosquito repellant.

I'm glad you found an umbrella that works for you. And - thank you Harlee. I'm very interested in the mosquito repellent.

I'm glad you found an umbrella that works for you. And - thank you Harlee. I'm very interested in the mosquito repellent.

I have just posted a separate new thread on the mosquito repellent with a picture of the box

Glad you are able to enjoy your patio more now.

Back
Top Bottom