Pembrokeshire Coast Walking?

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
To celebrate being FIRE'd this coming July my wife and I are considering a trip to the Pembrokeshire coast in southwestern Wales. Has anyone done all or parts of this 150 mile coastal hiking/walking path? When is best time to go? Good places to stay? Particularly pretty segments not to miss? Thanks!

Our idea is to kick off ER (and set the tone for the future) with a healthy, active, adventure. The first week after ER, I will, of course, lie in bed most days and stare agreeably into space, reflecting on my incredible luck!

-BB

While I can't make any specific recommendations, I have to comment on a trip I made to Wales when I was 15. I spent a week with a family outside of Haverfordwest in July of 1984. It was the most magical week of my life. I stayed on a dairy farm with a girl my age and went for walks to the coast daily. I would love to hear what you decide to do because I am hoping to return there in the next few years. Have fun planning!

That sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate the beginning of your retirement!

I have no experience with the Pembrokeshire coast of Wales, but I have walked a Pembroke Welsh Corgi!

wallcoo.com_Pembroke_Welsh_Corgi_picture_85487.jpg

That sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate the beginning of your retirement!

I have no experience with the Pembrokeshire coast of Wales, but I have walked a Pembroke Welsh Corgi!

wallcoo.com_Pembroke_Welsh_Corgi_picture_85487.jpg

+1

SIL lived in The Mumbles, west of Swansea on the Gower Peninsular, for 10 years so we visited a view times and although that section of the Welsh coast is just short of the Pembrokeshire coastal trail the area is absolutely beautiful.

You are going to love it.

Are you planning to walk the entire length, or are you looking for highlight spots to drive to and visit ?

Just curious what others do really.

What we have done on some of the named walks like this (eg Cleveland Way and South West coastal path in recent years) is stay in different B&B's along the way, walking some stretches of the path. Bus services are often pretty good to enable one to park the car, walk a stretch of the path and get the bus back. We've met other walkers who walk a stretch and get a taxi back to the car, gives a person time to walk longer stretches.

In 2012 our daughter joined us for 2 weeks in Cornwall and one fine day we hiked a stretch of the SW coastal path, stopping at a pub in a 700 year old building, then catching a bus back to about 3 miles from where we were staying and having dinner at another pub before walking back to the place we were staying. She absolutely loved that day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom