Perpetual Travelers

I am very open to renting a house for a few months at a stretch, especially in places like Alaska (winter, too cold for RV) or in the Florida Keys where there is little parking. If you rent for 6 months then move to another location, is that still permanent traveling?
It still is. It's because you do not stay long enough at a permanent place for you to set roots and to accumulate "stuff".

There seems to be this thought out there that if you ER, you must travel a lot. Or if you travel, you must want to be a perpetual traveler.

One of our surprises in ER is just how much we love being at home. Not home bound, but doing things while living at home.. oh- you know what I mean. However, by standards of working people, we do travel a lot.

I would like to, some day, give up the house and spend a few years living in different interesting places for a few months at a time. DW isn't sold on it yet.

I love traveling. But...

When I was working, I found that I was frustrated with the limited time I had to travel. Also, travel had a significant "escape" benefit to it. I couldn't wait to get away, and I hated to return home and back to the grind of work.

In retirement, I truly value the freedom to travel wherever and whenever I please. And I intend to see all parts of the world over the next few years. But I have been surprised that without the need to "escape", I do not feel the burning need to get away and I am no longer sad to return home as I was during my working years. I still love to get away, but I find myself getting a little stir crazy and lonely being on the road after a while. I did not expect this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I would like to, some day, give up the house and spend a few years living in different interesting places for a few months at a time. DW isn't sold on it yet.
We are on that already. One 16 yo cat that ties us down. But all the parents and siblings have passed. So maybe 3 months in each of four places, two of which we own. And the other two rented in various exotic places each year. The internet has really made that easy.:dance:

I have so many places I want to visit, I just hate the traveling part of it all. Even a few hours on a plane get to me.. and don't get me started about the airport.

I have so many places I want to visit, I just hate the traveling part of it all. Even a few hours on a plane get to me.. and don't get me started about the airport.

Too true. +1

(Which is why we utilize repositioning cruises whenever possible.)

Once we are free of parental obligations. (3 of 4 still alive and in need of considerable help) I think we would like to "live" in exotic places for a month or two at a time. Probably off season, maybe, Italy, South East Asia, Scandinavia, UK, Ireland, etc. Agree that flying and airports are not fun.

Back
Top Bottom