Personal Finance Software recommendations?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
I used to be a Quicken user back in the day but don't like the Mac OS version.

We use Macs at home. I'm looking for software for tracking accounts, spending, and giving good reports. Also, like to download activity from banks, etc.

Not interested in tracking investments. I do that with my own spreadsheets.

I have been using Mint but I want to move away from web based tools.
I also want to avoid subscriptions. I want a pay-once product.

Any favorites?

I used to be a Quicken user back in the day but don't like the Mac OS version.

We use Macs at home. I'm looking for software for tracking accounts, spending, and giving good reports. Also, like to download activity from banks, etc.

Not interested in tracking investments. I do that with my own spreadsheets.

I have been using Mint but I want to move away from web based tools.
I also want to avoid subscriptions. I want a pay-once product.

Any favorites?

I just started using mvelopes. It is subscription (LOL-sorry), but only $40/yr. Available via web (LOL-sorry-strike 2) and device apps.

I have always operated on an envelope system both mentally and fiscally, and had be (ab)using all of the other "budgeting" softwares (YNAB, Quicken, etc.) --forcing them into an "envelope" mode, which they were very clumsy (putting it mildly) at doing and a royal PIA.

mvelopes is the only true "envelope" system that I found (just recently) and I like it --- A LOT.

------
DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with, Mvelopes, mvelopes.com management or mvelopes.com products. Your mileage may vary. Names here may not represent real people. No animals were harmed in the making of this post. License required in some states. If redness or rash appears, seek medical advice immediately. May cause drowsiness. May cause cancer in lab animals. If erection lasts longer than four hours, see your doctor immediately.

I just started using mvelopes. It is subscription (LOL-sorry), but only $40/yr. Available via web (LOL-sorry-strike 2) and device apps.

I have always operated on an envelope system both mentally and fiscally, and had be (ab)using all of the other "budgeting" softwares (YNAB, Quicken, etc.) --forcing them into an "envelope" mode, which they were very clumsy (putting it mildly) at doing and a royal PIA.

mvelopes is the only true "envelope" system that I found (just recently) and I like it --- A LOT.

------
DISCLAIMER: I have no financial interest in, or affiliation with, Mvelopes, mvelopes.com management or mvelopes.com products. Your mileage may vary. Names here may not represent real people. No animals were harmed in the making of this post. License required in some states. If redness or rash appears, seek medical advice immediately. May cause drowsiness. May cause cancer in lab animals. If erection lasts longer than four hours, see your doctor immediately.

Funny in that I must have a blind spot as I've never been able to grasp using an envelop system. I know it's supposed to be one of the easier systems. A system that Dave Ramsey suggests. Got a brother who is a Ramsey follower and swears by the system.

Perhaps, too many envelops moving around for me. Like I said, must be a blind spot

Last edited:
You'll find quite a few threads on this here if you search a bit.

I use Moneydance, as do a number of others. Very satisfied with it.

You'll find quite a few threads on this here if you search a bit.

I use Moneydance, as do a number of others. Very satisfied with it.
+1
It is a pay once product with continuing support. They do upgrade the product and if you choose to upgrade when they release it, there is no extra charge. If you prefer to upgrade after a few upgrades have been released, the cost is 50% of the current price. Has a strong user community, and staff do monitor and respond to technical issues/questions.

You can download and try with 30 transactions or so, after that you need to purchase. You can also browse their user community to get a sense of the issues they are dealing with.

- Rita

About six months ago, I read about Fund Manager software that was supposed to provide a superset of the investment management features found in Quicken. Soince I was upset with the new owners of Quicken and their subscription revenue-harvesting model, I downloaded it and gave it a look...and found out that, indeed, it was that good. So, I migrated the investment portion of my finances to Fund Manager, and use a home-brew Excel spreadsheet that provides me with the core of the YNAB functionality. I completed my switch-over on the evening of 12/31/2017, and am now Quicken-free.

What about Gnucash? the OP said "I have been using Mint but I want to move away from web based tools. I also want to avoid subscriptions. I want a pay-once product"
The Gnucash approach is pretty much a traditional double entry accounting system and it definitely has a learning curve but it might be interesting to pursue. https://www.gnucash.org/
(Full disclosure - I used Gnucash in parallel with Quicken for a few months and ultimately decided to stick with Quicken 2010 because of the easier to use report customizing system in Quicken and the many reports I had created in the Quicken ecosystem. But I could easily use Gnucash instead and get 90% of what I had in Quicken.

I'm thinking of coming down to Banktivity 6 or Moneydance. I'll try the free trials and play with them a bit.

For investments, I started using Personal Capital but, also have my own spreadsheets.

Back
Top Bottom