Personal investment returns: first half of 2010

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Overall, pretty disappointing. :mad: Results are pre-tax, not annualized, and do not reflect intraperiod contributions. From best to worst:

Vanguard corporate bond (VFICX): 7.1%
Vanguard total bond (VBMFX): 5.3%
Vanguard TIPS (VIPSX): 4.3%
Mortgage prepayment 2.8% (5.7% APR)
I-bonds: 1.8%
Bank savings account: 0.4% (0.8% APR)
Vanguard equity income (VEIPX): -5.2%
S&P 500 index fund: -6.7%

From my 401k website. YTD is disappointing. The others are good and I didn't have much when the stock market plummeted since had just started working in 2007.
For the period (01/01/2010 - 06/29/2010)-4.48%

For the period (06/29/2009 - 06/29/2010)15.96%
For the period (01/01/2009 - 06/29/2010)27.78%

Overall, pretty disappointing. :mad: Results are pre-tax, not annualized, and do not reflect intraperiod contributions. From best to worst:

What is the overall YTD?

It seems like you have quite a few investments that are up YTD.

My best investments YTD are:
Company stock +29.83% (+49.03% using stock option leverage)
Gold +13.01%
VBIIX +7.27% (VG intermediate bond index, taxable)
PTRAX +5.67% (PIMCO total return)
VGSIX +5.61% (VG REIT)
Silver +4.86%
VIPSX +4.28% (VG TIPS)

I have a bunch of investments that returned between 0% and 3%: CDs, I-Bonds, munis, etc...

My worse investments by far are international equities, followed by large cap domestic equities and general commodities:
VTRIX -14.70% (VG International Value)
VFWIX -11.57% (VG International large cap index)
VFSVX -6.67% (VG International small cap index)
PCRDX -6.44% (commodities)
VTSMX -6.00% (VG total market index)

*All numbers are from Morningstar.

I'm down 6.3%. Half US, half international. I expected to be down closer to 9%, but a healthy slug of REITs and small cap/small cap value dampened the loss back down to what the total US market loss was for first half of 2010.

100% equities.

Down about 0.4%. About 45/45/10 equitites/bonds/cash in a very plain-Jane index portfolio. Nothing clever here. Withdrawing about 2% annually.

The first half of 2010 was a great time to be diversified and holding bonds. Unfortunately my 100% equities portfolio didn't benefit any from bonds' nice return. :(

About 2/3 of my portfolio is invested either in company stock, cash, bonds, gold/silver or REITs and, as I mentioned above, those are some of my best performers. So I still have a positive rate of return YTD.

Just finished updating Quicken and running our personal performance numbers:

6mo - 1.5%
18mo +11.2%
30mo - 2.9%

Can I use Tuesday's share prices instead of today's? :LOL: Just kidding, but as an aside, this week has been brutal.

Down around 3%...

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Down around 3%...
Yep. The market's usually a forward-looking thing, and for a long time it was pricing in a pretty decent recovery and perhaps a rebound in employment. Well, employment has had more than enough time to start rebounding -- and it ain't. So much for that recovery. With no jobs there's no optimism, no willingness to stop hoarding cash, no consumer confidence that they won't be the next layoff. And I just got my "no raises this year" notice for the fourth time in the last six years. (The other two years were 2%.)

The market, in short, now sees no significant job growth ahead.

Yeah, that's a motivation to go "stimulate" the economy...

Last edited:
Just checked, down 3% YTD. Current AA is 65% stocks, 30% bonds, 5% REIT. Not thrilling but not as gut-wrenching as 2008, either.

Up about 5.8%. Threw in the towel on sophisticated, supposedly conservative slice-and-dice portfolios after ours (based on Bob Clyatt's RIP allocation) lost ~23% during the meltdown (better than Harvard or Yale's endowments, but still.....). Switched to the Permanent Portfolio - no regrets:

Permanent Portfolio Mid-Year 2010 | Crawling Road

Bob Clyatt calls this portfolio a "bunker." Sounds good to me :)

All I can say is, thank you, Bill Gross..........:)

^That's it. All I can say is that I am selling all my PIMCO Total Return fund shares now.

According to my Fidelity 401K web site:

Personal Rate of Return from 01/01/2010 to 06/30/2010 is -1.7%

AA is about 55/45 in that account.

^Actually, yes. That's my contrarian move.

I also needed to rebalance into equities, so the cash has to come from somewhere. I might as well use the most expensive fixed income fund in my 401(k) to exchange into equities. Anyways, the exchange is done. I don't own this fund anymore in my 401(k).

I have 3 main retirement accounts. There's a fairly large difference in performance but none of them are good YTD. One is -7.0%, another is -5.50%, the other is +2.65%

but as an aside, this week has been brutal.
And it's not even over yet. don't jinx it...:)

I'm flat YTD 6/30. In january I was more optimistic. Maybe that's a contrarian sign and it's time to increase my equities.

On second thought, no. It's time for a beer.

And it's not even over yet. don't jinx it...:)

Yeah — I'm expecting to see S&P500 870! (Well maybe not until next week :D)

I won't have my results until tomorrow when a few more end of month dividends will have been reported.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom