Peru/Chile trip suggestions?

Is the Sky Lodge those interesting capsules I’ve seen on travel brochures which cling to the side of a cliff? If so, please update us on the experience.

My only visit to Peru was back in the '80s with my Peruvian partner at the time. We went to a restaurant in Cusco and he enjoyed a meal where the entree was cuy but I opted for something else. Let's just say that the roasted cuy comes pretty much "intact" including head and feet.

I would also warn that Cusco is at an elevation of over 11,000 feet. I missed a day of activity due to altitude sickness which even coca tea did little to alleviate. Our side trip to Iquitos on the Amazon was fascinating and I'd recommend it. Near Lima, I recall really enjoying the Museo Oro del Peru. We did not see the Nazca lines which is one thing I'd try to do if I were ever to go again.

We were in Cusco about 15 years ago for Inte Raymi and then some travel around Peru for 5 weeks. This is the huge major annual Festival of the Sun. There were a number of street vender selling "Cuy on a Stick". Kind of like a corn dog without the breading. Many of the poor people (of which is the majority of the population) keep their Guinea Pigs in the house for fresh Cuy. We even spent a few days hiking the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu and then a couple of days hiking with some friends and a few pack horses to a village in the mountains to bring some needed clothes and supplies.
I'm guessing you tried Inca Cola the national soft drink that looks like Mountain Dew and smells like bubble gum.

Cheers!

Weather and Altitude

Hi, I was born in and have lived in Peru for over 25 years. There is a lot of great advice in this thread, so there is not much I can add.

Be aware that even though summer starts in January (southern hemisphere) the weather in the sierra (highlands) is considered winter because it is the rainy season. Rain in Cuzco and Machu Picchu but not in Lima. You may be lucky.

Also, Cuzco and some of the surroundings are rather high, so watch out for altitude sickness. The only effective treatment that I know is taking Acetazolamide, starting about 48 hours before your exposure to altitude. It will greatly reduce symptoms but it is best to check with your doctor.

Finally, I am obviously biased, but Peruvian food is the best in the region, by far.

......... The only effective treatment that I know is taking Acetazolamide.......
One side effect of this is that it makes you pee a lot and in my experience there are not a lot of places to pee.

Hi, I was born in and have lived in Peru for over 25 years. There is a lot of great advice in this thread, so there is not much I can add.

Be aware that even though summer starts in January (southern hemisphere) the weather in the sierra (highlands) is considered winter because it is the rainy season. Rain in Cuzco and Machu Picchu but not in Lima. You may be lucky.

Also, Cuzco and some of the surroundings are rather high, so watch out for altitude sickness. The only effective treatment that I know is taking Acetazolamide, starting about 48 hours before your exposure to altitude. It will greatly reduce symptoms but it is best to check with your doctor.

Finally, I am obviously biased, but Peruvian food is the best in the region, by far.

About 15 years ago we were in Peru for about 5-6 weeks and Cuzco was our base. The bakeries you find all over the city had great pastries. I couldn't eat enough Alfajores ( a sandwich cookie like short bread with caramel filling and heavily sprinkled with confectioners sugar.) We also ate a few times at a small local restaurant (4 tables) that only served a dinner of either 1/2 or 1/4 chicken, potatoes, rice, salad and chicken soup for the price of a Whopper Jr. We also ate at a few more upscaled restaurants and were never disappointed. Then there is Cuy.

Cheers!

About 15 years ago we were in Peru for about 5-6 weeks and Cuzco was our base...........
Cuzco is wonderful. As much as I loved Machu Picchu, my time in Cuzco was a highlight. We found a hotel that had English speaking hosts that provided free transportation anywhere in town, would buy tickets for us and just generally made us feel like welcome guests. And, yes, the food.....

For Chile: Look into going to Easter Island (Rapa Nui). It is not cheap to fly there, as flights are a monopoly of the national airline. But it is a very impressive place. The people there built an entire pocket civilization on a tiny patch of land, far from anyone else. Eventually they had trouble and collapsed, but their accomplishments were tremendously impressive to me. You need to read up on it, and the tourist situation there. I'd say 4 days on the Island is about right.

For Chile: Look into going to Easter Island (Rapa Nui). It is not cheap to fly there, as flights are a monopoly of the national airline. But it is a very impressive place. The people there built an entire pocket civilization on a tiny patch of land, far from anyone else. Eventually they had trouble and collapsed, but their accomplishments were tremendously impressive to me. You need to read up on it, and the tourist situation there. I'd say 4 days on the Island is about right.

Prominently featured in Jared Diamond's book Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed .

Our trip to Peru is now 16 days away and I see the State Dept has bumped the Travel Advisory to Level 3. I have a really awesome itinerary set but my wife is having second thoughts about going. Fortunately, we have travel insurance. It covers domestic terrorism but not sure what defines that, I'm going to call tomorrow.

I was wondering what everyone else thinks. Travel or bag it?

The young wife and I recently came back from a long trip to Egypt, which is also a Level 3 according to the US State Department. We had no problems and were not concerned. We were on a small guided tour and went to the normal tourist sites. I suspect that the people most likely to encounter problems are those who stray from the beaten path and who get involved in things other than normal tourism.

Based on my prior experience in Peru in 1983 (when the Shining Path guerillas were still on the loose) and then in 2005, you are likely to see many soldiers and police with automatic weapons, and multiple checkpoints, but that appears to be normal and I did not see it as a particular sign of danger.

In my experience, the vast majority of people in Peru (like Egypt) are friendly and decent human beings. Certainly poor, but very nice and honest.

Last edited:
Our trip to Peru is now 16 days away and I see the State Dept has bumped the Travel Advisory to Level 3. I have a really awesome itinerary set but my wife is having second thoughts about going. Fortunately, we have travel insurance. It covers domestic terrorism but not sure what defines that, I'm going to call tomorrow.

I was wondering what everyone else thinks. Travel or bag it?

I’d say Peru is still pretty safe. Your itinerary covers many of the archeological sites, which usually are very secure. Travel smart and you should be fine.

We think we are going to Machu Picchu, Peru in March before cruising from Santiago back to the USA.

Right now (and in the next few weeks) I would not go because you cannot go. The airport in Cusco is closed (gateway to Cusco) and the train to Machu Picchu (from Cusco) is not running and there is a curfew. Also, Peru has implemented a "30 day" suspension of rights to deal with the uprising.

Reviewing the USA State Dept info now, even though Peru is listed as Level 3, Cusco and other areas are referenced as "DO NOT TRAVEL".

We will be watching the unpleasantness. For us, travel is "discretionary" and if the news stays the same, there is no rational reason to travel to Peru now.

I suggest you postpone the trip to Cuzco.
Lima is safe but as other have informed the Cuzco airport is currently closed. Also, be aware that this is the rainy season which lasts until late march/early April. Lima is a top notch foodie destination but I would wait until events settle down before visiting Cuzco.

I was in Peru for 6 weeks a number of years ago during election time. I loved traveling to the many different historical sites, the Chitwan jungle, and up the Amazon to a Biological Research Station. I also had to cancel going to Lake Titicaca due to demonstrations and road blocks. Travel at that time was difficult and risky. I was even held up in one small remote town and eventually was required to ride out in a large old and broken down truck late at night through the hills with a few "undesirables" as riding companions.

I would love to go back once more but not now. I won't put myself and wife in that kind of situation.

Cheers!

We went to Peru several years ago and loved it. It is one of our favorite trips of all time. Having said that, I would be hesitant to go right now. Anyway that you can reschedule?

I hate to see the troubles that Peru is having right now. Also, tourism is probably a significant part of their economy especially around Machu Pichu. This is bound to have a bad impact on an already poor country.

The more my wife and I discussed the more we decided that it would be better to postpone so I canceled our trip. I reached out to all of the companies we had bookings with and I've been refunded 100% by all but American Airlines (booked Economy).

I feel I need to give a shoutout to those companies that worked with us since most of the time we only read the complaints:

Peru Hop - 7 day trip from Lima to Cusco w/excursions.
Viator - 8 day excursion, Machu Picchu, Rainbow Man, etc.
Natura Vive - A stay in the SkyLodge (we were really excited to do this)

We'll probably just replace the trip with a jaunt to the Caribbean.

That’s really too bad but it’s the wise choice.

The more my wife and I discussed the more we decided that it would be better to postpone so I canceled our trip. I reached out to all of the companies we had bookings with and I've been refunded 100% by all but American Airlines (booked Economy).

I feel I need to give a shoutout to those companies that worked with us since most of the time we only read the complaints:

Peru Hop - 7 day trip from Lima to Cusco w/excursions.
Viator - 8 day excursion, Machu Picchu, Rainbow Man, etc.
Natura Vive - A stay in the SkyLodge (we were really excited to do this)

snip

So sorry you had to cancel your trip. I feel sad for the travel companies and their local employees who are being hit the hardest by this. I see in the latest news reports of daily demonstrations in Cusco, and closed shops and people in fear of violence. Such a beautiful area and some wonderful people. We loved our visit.

Update: I just received an email today from our insurance carrier that they are denying our claim.

I took out a travel policy for $7000. I was able to recover all but $800 on my own (flight + 20% of Peru Hop cost). Prior to submitting the claim for $800, I called and spoke with a rep and they assured me that I had a legitimate claim. Apparently wording in their policy about "Terrorist attacks" does not apply to the situation that occurred in Peru.

I thought it was a no-brainer and that they were getting a pretty favorable deal with such a small claim. If we had tried to go thru with the trip the travel delays and flight cancellations from the Cusco airport closure alone would have exceeded the $800.

I'm going to appeal but I know to avoid this insurance company in the future.

I'm so sorry this happened. I am no longer a believer in trip insurance. When my transatlantic cruise was canceled by the cruiseline, for 'covid reasons' apparently that didn't qualify under the covid coverage of my trip insurance. I had to fight hard to get them to refund (vs credit) the deposit. I was able to reapply airline credits to other trips - including our return from Europe. Ironically, the Europe to US return trip credit was used for our Peru/Ecuador airfare this past fall. So glad we were in Peru a month before the current crisis.

I'm so sorry this happened. I am no longer a believer in trip insurance.

Same here. I've read too many stories about people not collecting on very legitimate claims. That also happened to me twice, with very reputable insurance companies, so I'm completely turned off by them.

I figure if I can't afford to self-insure for it, I can't afford the trip.

Back
Top Bottom