Pets

I had ALWAYS had a pet or 3 since I was born. 2 years ago both my dogs died within a few months of each other, one of whom was way too young and his death was very unexpected. I was able to travel without worry and although I loved and missed my dogs terribly it was great in a way. However, last summer I started really missing having a dog and went looking for another. This time a got a tiny little dog, and now when I travel he just goes under the seat in front of me. It does limit me somewhat, and adds to the costs but so glad to have a dog back in my life.

Yeah, I guess we all react differently to the loss of a pet. In my case, my dog was literally my best friend, and his death hit me harder than the death of any human being ever has, including my mother and father. It made me realize how important a relationship between a man and his dog can be. It reoriented me spiritually in ways I feel are too personal to get into here. It inspired me to fight for animal welfare causes, and it convinced me I never wanted to be without a dog in my life. His life and death changed my life in some major ways. God bless him, and I hope to see him again someday.

If my dogs are not in Heaven, I don't want to be there either.

Attachments

• dog-heaven.jpg
    dog-heaven.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 16
In 2010 I had to put down both my cat and dog about 5 months a part. I decided not to get any more pets. Well to make a long story short it wasn't long before I had two cats and 11 Betta fish.

In 2010 I had to put down both my cat and dog about 5 months a part. I decided not to get any more pets. Well to make a long story short it wasn't long before I had two cats and 11 Betta fish.

My 4 year old Betta fish passed away last week. I actually miss him. I called him 'my dog with fins'. I'm keeping his tank primed for the next inhabitant but I'm waiting until we move before I bring his replacement home.

I believe in Heaven, and I believe that heaven wouldn't be heaven without animals, so I know we'll see them someday.

Same here. As you say, it wouldn't be Heaven otherwise.

Sounds goofy, I suppose, but after my friend Boomer passed, I got about 20 "signs" of one kind or another that he was still around -- strange coincidences, things that were too weird to explain away, some very powerful and some minor. Also, I've spent a good deal of time studying the issue of life after death for animals, and I was surprised to find a decent amount of evidence for it, plus many rational arguments for it based on the nature of God. I'm convinced, based on the evidence and my experience, that it does happen.

My 4 year old Betta fish passed away last week. I actually miss him. I called him 'my dog with fins'. I'm keeping his tank primed for the next inhabitant but I'm waiting until we move before I bring his replacement home.

You've got a big heart if you were able to bond with a fish. I've never been able to do that, myself. I felt a little twinge when my betta fish died, but not much. I had a bird, too, who died recently, and although I felt more sad than I expected, I know I never bonded with her the way I bond with a dog. Just something different going on there. It might be the mammal-based limbic/attachment system we have in common. I can feel my dog's love for and attachment to me. I have never felt that with a fish or a bird. But good on you, that you can feel that connection. I think that's a nice thing.

Oh wow, we have a 10 year old Pleco named Rufus all alone in a 50 gallon tank. He's an interesting fellow and I hope he sticks around a long time. But once he does go, I think we are done with the fish for a while. The little ones are just not that durable. He's about a foot long though!

. I have never felt that with a fish or a bird. But good on you, that you can feel that connection. I think that's a nice thing.

I have a budgie also. I call him "little buddy". Definitely bonded. So much so that when I go away he gets very sick and listless. I thought I was going to lose him once. Now I have DH play a vid I made of me talking to him. He runs it over and over for about 20 minutes a day. Seems to do the trick !

My betta was in the kitchen and he would 'wag his tail' when he saw me (ie: he would get excited hoping for food !). I had made him a little cave in pottery class that he would rest in. He came "running" out of his cave when he saw me. Was it a "bond" ? Perhaps. But he did make me laugh.

That's sweet. You're clearly an animal lover, so you have my respect.

Believe it or not all my fish have their own personality! They all live in at least a 5 gallon tank. My friends and family think I've gone over the deep end. But they are all different sizes shapes and colors. My cats show little to no interest in them.

My parents got me a dog when I was 4 years old and he lived until I was 18. Since then I have had about 6 cats usually 2 at a time. Now, however, I live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets.

I've had fleeting thoughts, but when it comes to pets they really keep me going. When I am at my worst I know that I have to get up and feed my pets and make sure they are happy and healthy. I think if I were to ever become incredibly unhealthy that I couldn't do this that I would decide I was done, but until then I am happy to have animals in my life.

My betta was in the kitchen and he would 'wag his tail' when he saw me (ie: he would get excited hoping for food !). I had made him a little cave in pottery class that he would rest in. He came "running" out of his cave when he saw me. Was it a "bond" ? Perhaps. But he did make me laugh.

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the tail wag of a betta. Mine comes running over (well, swimming) when I enter the kitchen. I think he actually enjoys our time together.

Okay, I am glad I am not the only one experiencing the tail wag of a betta. Mine comes running over (well, swimming) when I enter the kitchen. I think he actually enjoys our time together.

Alas, the Hermit Crabs are not quite as emotionally fulfilling bit I do find them interesting. The will not be replaced once they live their lives out. While they are very low maintenance and could survive for a week without care the don't give the same "warm fuzzies" as the dog, the budgie, or (dare I say it), the Betta.

Back
Top Bottom