Philips CPAP recall

DrBrisket

Recycles dryer sheets
Got an email from a DME provider I have used in the past with a link to the FDA website: Certain Philips Respironics Ventilators, BiPAP, and CPAP Machines Recalled Due to Potential Health Risks: FDA Safety Communication.

For affected CPAP and BiPAP devices, Philips is recommending discontinuing usage of an affected device and consult with your healthcare provider. FDA guidance is a little less clear.

No clear timeline to repair affected devices that I can find, but it appears Philips has not yet gotten FDA clearance on any materials that are needed to replace the affected parts.

@Lewis Clark-
Not a problem.

After posting, I started shopping for another CPAP as both my home and travel units are on the recall list and I cannot imaging going back to my pre-cpap days. All the DME providers that displayed inventory showed "Out of Stock" for the affected units, so clearly the message has gotten out to the distributors.

I went back and checked what I had ordered from the DME that notified me and it was just a case for a recalled cpap machine. Makes me wonder why the 3 DMEs I have purchased prescription-required cpap machines/accessories from over the past few years have yet to provide notice! :mad:

Anyways, enough of my ranting. If you want an unaffected CPAP, might want to order it ASAP. No clue what inventory is like, but almost everything seems to be in short supply these days.

Makes me wonder why the 3 DMEs I have purchased prescription-required cpap machines/accessories from over the past few years have yet to provide notice!.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts. The sleep clinic I bought my apparently recalled machine from only contacts me by robocall when it’s time for supplies that I can get much cheaper on Amazon, or when they want me to schedule a $100 appointment for them to tell me I’m doing fine, which I know already from the Dream Mapper app data.

I'm still using mine. It's not an option to quit using it and I don't feel I should have to spend $3000 of my own money for a new one when it's Phillips that should be replacing it. Unfortunately I think this is going to drag on for a long time.

I registered on the Phillips site, using the serial number on the CPAP machine. Now I just wait for them to send the replacement. They say not to use this one until then, but WTH am I supposed to use?! I suppose I could contact my Dr. and tell her of this situation and use her to prescribe another brand, but that's a pain in the rear. Seems a simple retrofit filter on the mask would 'fix' the risk of inhaling something shedding off the CPAP machine.

You could go into your settings and turn up the pressure a little to compensate.

But we don't have a lot of choice in this matter.

That appears to be more true than I had hoped.

I realize not everyone can afford the option of purchasing another CPAP, but for those thinking about doing so--don't hold your breath (pun intended). I called a couple of DME providers and they sold out of CPAP equipment almost immediately last week. One was kind enough to put me on a waiting list, but currently had no ETA when ANY vendor would be able to deliver additional inventory. :(

Back
Top Bottom