Picard Season 3, Anyone?

I just caught up.

Honestly, I found ep 6 through mid of ep 8 to be a slow, excruciating slog. I kept falling asleep. What with all the literal dark filmed scenes, drawn out story and dialog.

It picked up nicely after that and is now going in an interesting direction full of fan service, but why not? They've resurrected so many characters so many times you might as well just go for it.

Although I am mostly happy with Season 3, it had me yearning for the old Original series. As the previous poster said, too much deus ex machina in these latest series.

Perhaps that's why I like Strange New Worlds. More episodic, less rabbits pulled out of hats.

I agree. I’m only on episode 4 of season 3. The story so far is okay. But I don’t love this series.

It’s just so dark. And I don’t just mean the lighting. People getting blown up, insubordinate officers everywhere, profanity, sexual innuendo, drugs and addiction, and so much more.
It does make me long for TOS. I know, I’m old and get off my lawn.

Someone upstream mentioned Gene. R. rolling over in his grave about the utopia and hopeful future of his vision being obliterated as quickly as they destroy starships in this series. I certainly agree with that.

Someone upstream mentioned Gene. R. rolling over in his grave about the utopia and hopeful future of his vision being obliterated as quickly as they destroy starships in this series. I certainly agree with that.

That was me. Discovery clearly was moving far away from utopia, but it had an excuse (mild spoiler alert....) a time jump into the future.

Picard, and especially this season, have thrown it all utopia away. There's a lot of darkness.

Still, Gene R. was no saint as some fans try to make him. He put demands on his writers to have no conflicts among starfleet, no money, no wants, no racial issues in the United Federation. It gave the series a certain feeling. But writers complained, especially in TNG, that it put them in a box. He also made an attempt at giving women equal status, including having a female #1 in the original pilot.

But then what does he do? He also makes Kirk a womanizer, has characters treat them like dirt from time to time, and dresses them titillatingly. In his personal life, he was a real rascal, more or less forcing his wife into an open marriage due to all his affairs and canoodling with actresses using the casting couch aggressively. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_life_of_Gene_Roddenberry)

Although he portrayed this new more fair treatment of women on the screen, personally, it didn't quite go that way. It was quite the opposite.

Last edited:
You mean Season 3, 6 episodes have been aired so far. We are waiting till all 10 are dropped. Life's a Binge!

+1 and waiting. I thought the first 2 seasons were OK but my wife not so much. I will probably binge watch season 3 by myself once all the episodes are available.

Cheers!

Season 3 has to continue. They can't leave it as it is in episode 9.

I've been binge watching. Just finished Season 3, episode 7. Wondering how is Picard and crew going to survive this one :popcorn:.

Kind of wished to save the watching and savor but will finish as I've already read some spoilers (not here, just reading articles elsewhere).

I'm a believer. Any TNG fan really needs to watch season 3.

I’ve also been binging season 3 and just finished episode 7. I think the overall story and enemy is intriguing.

The constant coincidences of running into every TNG character possible is a bit grinding. And some of those characters are now plain awful (Geordi, Raffi). And the way they now call everyone by their first name familiarity. Hi Jean Luc. Hi Will. Ah, excuse me , I don’t care if you are old co-workers. That’s Admiral and Captain to you buddy.
I do think the casting of Jack was well done. He fits the character traits you might expect from his parents. And the standout for me is Worf. His character in this series has been terrific. Another standout is Captain Shaw. He’s both awful and interesting. Oddly, a thumbs up from me for him.
Overall, the best season of Picard for sure.

I thought season 3 already ended only to realize the final episode is on tomorrow, 4/20! :D

That's like finding $20 in the sofa cushion :popcorn:

I've been binge watching. Just finished Season 3, episode 7. Wondering how is Picard and crew going to survive this one :popcorn:.

I think Wesley Crusher will return from his wondrous voyages with The Traveler and save his half brother using his ascended magnificence.

:popcorn:

I do think the casting of Jack was well done. He fits the character traits you might expect from his parents. And the standout for me is Worf. His character in this series has been terrific. Another standout is Captain Shaw. He’s both awful and interesting. Oddly, a thumbs up from me for him.
Overall, the best season of Picard for sure.

Shaw is an amazing character and the actor is terrific. Roddenberry would not allow this guy to exist. I love him.

I wish we could talk more, but it would involve spoilers. Keep watching and we can discuss freely maybe about a week after the season is done.

I finished watching.

Overall, very well done. Definitely did tug on the nostalgic heart strings.

I think Wesley Crusher will return from his wondrous voyages with The Traveler and save his half brother using his ascended magnificence.

Oooo, that would be perfect. Hadn't even thought of that. This series has seen so much last-minute saving of the galaxy, against overwhelming odds, that a little deus ex machina at the end would fit the pattern.

I probably won't get to watch it tonight. Please, no spoilers!

Finished it last night. Highly satisfying if a little bit overly fannish. It must be good if it got me a bit misty eyed.

I did not welcome the development in the final scene involving Jack and a recurrent character. Much like the holodeck stories, where anything is possible, this particular character is a writer's crutch, where anything can happen. The scene was like a bitter aftertaste following a sumptuous meal.

We just finished the final episode of season 3. A bunch of old farts in an old "analog" space ship save the universe from a bunch of half rotten borg's. Only on Star Trek... :) I enjoyed it though, good to see all the old faces again, and a little humor here and there to keep it interesting.

Although I did turn to my wife and said "can you imagine getting back together with all the people you worked with 30 years ago and try to accomplish anything?". She replied, "especially with today's technology, none of them were very tech savvy". :)

Of course, they did have to leave the show with an opening for a future Star Trek series. Why not.

My only gripe with Star Trek, and most sci-fi series these days, is all the dark and gloomy scenes. You can fly across the universe, but you can't turn on some lights? Apparently there will be a great lighting apocalypse in the future. Or maybe we evolve to where we can't tolerate light? Another weird trend in film making.

The Picard series was well worth the binge.

There were a few disappointments and a few I still don't understand, but overall, quite good.

I didn't realize until after watching an interview on youtube that the character of Shelby (from "Best of Both Worlds" of TNG) did a cameo. I didn't recognize her with white hair and all.

As for levity, Worf lines things he did had me chuckling almost each time he was on.

Finished it, and I agree. It was overall good. Definitely pulls a sentimental cord and that’s enough to overcome the holes in the actual story line. Once you relax on that and just breathe in the mist of the good guys winning and enjoying each other, it’s a fun ride.
As for the future, seven of nine can be my captain anytime. Think I’d rather watch that series play out than SNW and captain nutty hairdo.

Just finished season 3. By far my favorite season.

Make sure you don't shut it down as the credits start to roll, which I almost did. Interesting twist in the last couple of minutes.

Really liked season 3 and the ending. I think I will go back and rewatch all 3 seasons, I am sure there was a lot I missed the first time around.

Spoiler alert--I am confused about the "bad" Borg Queen at the end of Season 3. I thought Agnes Jurati become the "good" Borg Queen at the end of season 2. What happened to her? Is there more than one Borg Queen?

Of course, they did have to leave the show with an opening for a future Star Trek series. Why not.

Sure, leave an opening for a future series, but don't have that alphabet character, who was supposed to be dead, be a part of it.

My only gripe with Star Trek, and most sci-fi series these days, is all the dark and gloomy scenes. You can fly across the universe, but you can't turn on some lights? Apparently there will be a great lighting apocalypse in the future. Or maybe we evolve to where we can't tolerate light? Another weird trend in film making.

It might be that the sets aren't quite good enough to show in full-on lighting. Or it's more difficult to insert special effects in well lit scenes. Or the set designer likes to have the blinky lights and colorful graphics of the instrumentation more prominent.

The SyFy channel's show "The Ark" is overly lit, IMO. Everything is white and bright. The sets don't always look the best. Take a peek and you'll see what I mean. Seems like they've evolved so they can't see much in ambient lighting.

Last edited:
Shaw is an amazing character and the actor is terrific. Roddenberry would not allow this guy to exist. I love him.

I just read some post final episode reviews and apparently there is a ST fan faction that hates Shaw. Oh noes! The guy is great.

I wish we could talk more, but it would involve spoilers. Keep watching and we can discuss freely maybe about a week after the season is done.

<Spock voice>: "Indeed."

Spoiler alert--I am confused about the "bad" Borg Queen at the end of Season 3. I thought Agnes Jurati become the "good" Borg Queen at the end of season 2. What happened to her? Is there more than one Borg Queen?

Spoiler alert -- You are not alone. I had the very same question about what happened to Agnes. One of my "not following along here" things about the series.

Back
Top Bottom