Pick your top Vanguard fund for the year

Emerging markets - risky bet, given the recent rise in its price, but looking at valuations, it still seems very attractive.

I'm also putting my money where my mouth is - I plan on investing about $10,000 in the fund this year (starting a new position in it in March or so). Of course that is a small chunk of a larger (soon to be) diversified portfolio.

Back to the initial Q~ Vanguard Total International Index (VGTSX) because it has the perfect mix of Euro, Pac and EM all in one neat package (62,26,12) and the .31 ER is dirt cheap for international equity funds IMHO.

If "best fund" means the fund with the highest return then it is impossible for  VGTSX to be the best fund unless the three component funds all have the exact same return in which case there would be a four way tie  ;)

However I already have a big chunk (for me) of that fund and agree with the sentiment  :D

MB

I'll be contrarian just for the fun of it: VTI.

Bpp

Hi wildcat

Healthcare Fund.

You've got a problem here...too many people signing up for the same fund. You might have to come up with a lot of prunes in a very short amount of time. (Playing straight man) I wonder if Vanguard has a prune fund?

Bum - I gotcha covered

So we have:

Wildcat - Intl Value
RE@40 - Captial Opportunity & Strategic Equity
REWahoo - Prime MM
Spanky - Emerging Mkt & Health Care
() TH - Windsor 2
Apoc Sometime - Energy (wha? no metals?)
Yakers - Asset Allocation
Kate - Emerging Mkt & Prime MM
Gahbeshaw - Capital Opportunity & Global Equity
Mb - Emerging Mkt
UM2 - Target 2015 (a man of his word)
Arrete - Health Care & Windsor 2
Mickeyd - Total Intl Index
Wizard - Energy
Justin - Emerging Mkt
Bpp - Total Market Index
Bum - Health Care

Everyone that picked 2 will get a 50% weight on each when calculating your total return for the year. Yes, we are getting technical ;)

Well... I don't think anyone has picked VGPMX so I will...

Gonzo

I'm sorry folks, but as a resident in a major plum growing area, I must inform you that these are now referred to as dried plums, not as prunes. Huge rebranding effort going on around here. You had best look around to see if any prospective plum farmers are in the area before uttering the word 'prune'.

Have a mighty find plum tree in my own backyard in fact. They grow like weeds around here. Usually by mid june we're good and sick of eating them.

I'm not going to root against myself, so I'll pick (drum roll please)

Wellington

Hey, it could happen...

VUG. (large growth)

Not that I would choose it for a new portfolio, but just for fun for this contest.

Wildcat - Intl Value = up 11.09%
RE@40 - Captial Opportunity & Strategic Equity = up 9.90% & up 9.12%
REWahoo - Prime MM = :p
Spanky - Emerging Mkt & Health Care = up 11.17% & up 3.10%
() TH - Windsor 2 = up 3.57%
Apoc Sometime - Energy (wha? no metals?) up 11.43%
Yakers - Asset Allocation up 4.15%
Kate - Emerging Mkt & Prime MM up 11.17% & :p
Gahbeshaw - Capital Opportunity & Global Equity = up 9.90% & up 8.56%
Mb - Emerging Mkt = up 11.17%
UM2 - Target 2015 (a man of his word) = up 2.44%
Arrete - Health Care & Windsor 2 = up 3.10% & up 3.57%
Mickeyd - Total Intl Index = up 9.46%
Wizard - Energy = up 11.43%
Justin - Emerging Mkt = up 11.17%
Bpp - Total Market Index = up 5.37%
Bum - Health Care = up 3.10%

Results as of March 31, 2006

Leader = Apoc sometime aka Greg & Wizard
Laggard = UM2 but something tells me he isn't changing a thing

To be continued...

Good point on UM's Target Retirement 2015 (can't beat your components), so I'll skip LifeStrategy Moderate growth and submit Wellington! VWELX

My best performer is VDE.

Tks to this forum, I have moved a large chunk over to various Vanguard funds and this has been a nice improvement since I've (had time in ER) and been learning about managing my own portfolio/money.

I am still with my tax advisor/family friend, broker but learning more about this stock market thing. The forum has been a HUGE resource. I am gaining more confidence.

HELP QUESTION:

I have an AIM fund (CSTGX) that has dipped significantly after 2000 and just now have been taking a closer look at it.
I noticed they have not paid ANY dividends in over 5 years and realize the funds have been just sitting there, doing nothing. I asked the broker to look into it and he just suggested to move it (surprise) to one of his American funds (AMECX)
that I also have and has performed well. I have previously told him I wanted to go with all Vanquard funds due to no front load and low expense ratios. (not to mention it appears AIM is being sued for securities fraud...anybody know more about this:confused:)

I feel I need to cut and run away from AIM but don't want to do anything foolish.

Thanks for your input.

I think it might be just as foolish to hold AIM funds when you can do much better elsewhere.

Sorry L, late entry on the spreadsheet. I guess you are in the middle of the pack.

Older or younger than WHAT?

DIRT! Sri couldn't resist Happy New year

My best performing Vanguard Fund was VEIEX Emerging Markets at 29.39%

Maineiac said:
My best performing Vanguard Fund was VEIEX Emerging Markets at 29.39%

When you have that kind of return in one year do you sell? Or just "rebalance" a bit? I sure would be tempted to dump it.

Precious metals outperformed Emerging markets by ~5%. Gonzo wins?!

It is closed right now though, so I'm tempted to proclaim victory myself with my Emerging mkts pick. :D

Back
Top Bottom