Pillow for back sleeper w/neck pain

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
(I feel like we had a Pillow thread at one time, but I haven't been able to find it).

Anyway, I want a new pillow, that will support my head and neck without forcing them into an uncomfortable position. I'm almost 100% a back sleeper, and have been all my life.

Trouble is, there are so many ballyhooed pillow options out there right now: My Pillow, Purple Pillow, and a host of other pillows with special hollows for your neck and head.

Along with plain old foam pillows from Penney's.

Just wondered if any other back sleepers can recommend a particular pillow.

Thanks,

Amethyst

I also use a memory foam pillow, however mine is the same shape and about the same thickness as a regular pillow. I like it a lot, very comfy. I bought them at Costco ( a two pack for about $24).

I use two types of pillows. Both I get from Target. One is a medium firmness king size pillow and the second is a body pillow. I alternate sleeping on my back and side. On my back I use the body pillow under my knees for support. On my side I hug the body pillow with it between my knees. It relieves back pain for me.

I'm a side sleeper. The best pillow I have found so far is a memory foam with a special gel covering to keep it cool. It is a gusseted design that is thick enough to support my head properly. I can't recall the brand, but it may have been Sensorgel. The only tag on it says "Softex" which appears to be the manufacturer. I bought it at Macy's, but I see one just like it on Amazon. "Sensorgel Advanced Icool Gel Memory Foam Gusseted Pillow Bedding" It is expensive, but my chronic neck pain went away immediately when I switched to this pillow, so it was worth the price.

I am a side sleeper with neck pain and trying to sleep more on my back. I just started with this buckwheat filled pillow. Super supportive and customizable by just moving the fill around. The only issue I've found is that the fill makes some noise if you move around a lot like I do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q32VELI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is expensive and heavy but less expensive than my PT sessions.

No pillow. Takes a few nights to get used to but after that I will never go back. Pillow for when I roll over

Thanks for the responses...not sure why there aren't more? People don't care that much about pillows? Or there aren't many back sleepers amongst us?

I cannot sleep on my back but DH does. He can sleep anywhere and doesn't need any special pillow, but he could use a shield against my gentle punches when his snoring wakes me up.

I start out on my back and roll to side, I have a temper-pedic pillow, one side regular, one side has slight wedge angle to support back and shoulders for back sleeping. I am unable to find a specific name, but we got it free when we bought our temper medic mattress.

Thanks, I already do the rolled towel, but it's just not that comfortable.

Plus, I have to keep changing the fish because they go bad so fast, :D sorry

Try a paint roller or a rolled up fish towel. Place under neck.

I'm a back sleeper and used to have neck issues. My problem came from my head being propped up too much and at an angle relative to my body, not sure if that's your problem. Regular pillows, memory foam, etc. would give issues. Lying flat without a pillow or no pillow but a towel under the neck would work but is also uncomfortable. Actually turning my pillow vertically so that it starts at my shoulders or mid-back and still elevates my head but keeps it relatively level with my body, or even slightly tilted back if my head falls off the top of the pillow helped. Eventually, my final solution was getting a down/feather pillow, it flattens a bit over time but is somewhat shapeable, so it doesn't prop my head up as much and I can kind of conform it to be fuller under my neck and less so under my head, or I just setup the pillow to be a little lower so that it starts at my shoulders and the top of my head nearly goes beyond the top of it (with pillow laying horizontally), so my neck is on the meaty part of the pillow, not my head.

Some of the customers say it smells like marijuana...I wonder what it is stuffed with? :LOL:

Have you tried a bed wedge? It comes with fish guaranteed to never go bad - no need to change them out.

I use a funny shaped pillow bought from Aldi years ago which gives neck comfort.

Have to use from a whiplash where regular pillows would make my neck sore.

Attachments

• 73d10bd855fdaa37f33203ce382aaafc--foam-pillows-contour.jpg
    73d10bd855fdaa37f33203ce382aaafc--foam-pillows-contour.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom