Plan to switch my Medigap Plan G to USAA

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just looked up Medicare.gov, and see that USAA is offering $28 per month discount from my current plan. So I called them up. If I pass the medical questions, I can switch now. If I do not pass, I can still try to switch during my birth month, thanks to California birthdate rule.

I understand that all companies offering Plan G are providing equal service. Have any members here joined this company? Will there be any surprises from their medigap plan?

My understanding is that USAA medigap Plan G is only available to USAA insurance policyholders. If I had known this company also offered a Plan G, I would have definitely inquired for DH. We have multicar insurance policies, homeowner’s and umbrella policies with USAA and find them to be a solid insurance company. The coverage for Plan G is the same coverage across all companies; it’s only the price that differs.

My understanding is that USAA medigap Plan G is only available to USAA insurance policyholders. If I had known this company also offered a Plan G, I would have definitely inquired for DH. We have multicar insurance policies, homeowner’s and umbrella policies with USAA and find them to be a solid insurance company. The coverage for Plan G is the same coverage across all companies; it’s only the price that differs.

I took a look and I don’t see USAA Plan G offered. Everything I see is just MA plans and Part D plans, all offered by other insurance companies with USAA as a broker. Am I missing something? I’ve been with USAA for 40 years.

I’m in Pennsylvania, and it says there aren’t any supplements plans in my area, and all the MA plans are from insurance companies other than USAA. No big deal, but I do like USAA insurance.

Odd, I found over 60 supplement plans even in Cameron Co, PA
population 4459

Odd, I found over 60 supplement plans even in Cameron Co, PA

population 4459

That is odd. We live in Montgomery County that is a Philly suburb that has a large population. I put in my zip code and get a message saying there are no supplement plans available.

I looked up Harleysville in Montgomery Co (because I like the name) and there are 59 G supplement plans. Maybe it is highly location dependent. https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-su...TYPE_G?fips=42091&zip=19438&year=2023&lang=en

That’s statewide on the Medicare.gov site. If you go to USAA and search for Harleysville, which is 15 minutes away from me, you’ll see there are none.

IMG_4415.JPG

I just looked up Medicare.gov, and see that USAA is offering $28 per month discount from my current plan. So I called them up. If I pass the medical questions, I can switch now. If I do not pass, I can still try to switch during my birth month, thanks to California birthdate rule.

I understand that all companies offering Plan G are providing equal service. Have any members here joined this company? Will there be any surprises from their medigap plan?

Since you say you are in California, have you looked at State Farm? State Farm has had even lower rates when I've checked various zip code.

Since you say you are in California, have you looked at State Farm? State Farm has had even lower rates when I've checked various zip code.

I guess the rates are different for each zip code. Under my zip code, USAA shows up first with the lowest rate, then State Farm.

So, I called USAA today and spoke with their agent. Anyone can sign up without military affiliations. I started the application process with her, and we went through total 6 questions. Some are financial, and some medical. I guess they want to make sure the policy holders have means to pay the fees. Medical questions are related to the past 3 years of history and mostly are major surgery type, or common chronic disease. Cataract is on the list. I do not have any in my past 3 years of history, so I was approved with a policy right away which starts on 12/1/2022.

The only thing left for me to do is call my current Plan G provider and cancel the policy by 11/30/2022.

Last edited:
California Department of Insurance website lists 28 companies with medigap plans for my zip code.

https://interactive.web.insurance.ca.gov/apex_extprd/f?p=111:31:::NO:SESSION

USAA is listed with the lowest premium. Interestingly, my current provider, Blue Shield of California is not on the list. So, I am not sure how complete this list is.

Blue shield is listed under California Physicians Services. If you click the link for that company, you'll see the reference to BlueShield

The G plan is almost $30 more per month over the UHC plan I got...

BTW, I would not qualify for it anyhow...

Did they say anything about having to have both policies the first month? When I looked into UHC in the fine print it said I needed to keep my old policy for the first month, in case, I didn't like the new policy with UHC. I asked Anthem if I needed to do that if I wanted to switch to them and they said the same thing.

I was thinking of switching DH and I to UHC because they include a membership to the health club near us. A yearly family membership there is $1000.

Back
Top Bottom