Planning to leave California!

Whiteout invented by Monkee Michael Nesmith's mother -

Yep, that is one of my favorite little factoids (Liquid Paper actually). The most amazing thing to me, is that unlike so many small inventors, she actually made a ton of money from it - good for her!

Bette Nesmith Graham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Graham secretly used her white correction paint for five years, making some improvements with help from her son's high school Chemistry teacher. Some bosses admonished her against using it, but coworkers frequently sought her paint out. She eventually began marketing her typewriter correction fluid as "Mistake Out" in 1956. The name was later changed to Liquid Paper, when she began her own company.
In 1979 she sold Liquid Paper to the Gillette Corporation for USD $47.5 million. At the time, her company employed 200 people and made 25 million bottles of Liquid Paper per year. [2]
Bette Nesmith's son Michael inherited half her $50+ million estate upon her death in 1980, at age 56. The remainder financed the Council on Ideas, a think tank devoted to exploring world problems.

I love the irony - her 'bosses admonished her for using it' - and she end up with a $50,000,000 estate! I wonder how her bosses made out? ;)

And Hoyt Axton's mother co-wrote 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

Hoyt Axton is known (by some) for writing these (among many others):

• "Greenback Dollar" covered by The Kingston Trio
  • "The Pusher," covered by Steppenwolf on their debut album in 1968
  • "No-No Song," which became a #3 hit for Ringo Starr in March 1975
  • "Never Been To Spain", covered by Three Dog Night and Elvis Presley
  • "Joy to the World", the Three Dog Night hit from April 1971 which held US #1 for six weeks
above from wiki - Hoyt Axton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-ERD50

You guys have it really bad. How much are you paying for gas?
$3.10-$3.60, depending on the location and the time of year over the last year or so. Kauai, Molokai, & Lanai are probably more expensive than that (haven't been there in a while/ever).

But it's an island, so we drive less and spend less total on gas than we did on the Mainland.

2.75 in Phoenix when I last looked but I am sure that it is going up.

$2.85 per gallon in Green Bay. $3.05 for my premium... damn turbo!

$2.79 for regular in Findlay, OH. The four seasons are beautiful here and the cost of living is much less than California. And you do have the Great Lakes to boat on. We do have those pesky mosquitos and you do have to be careful of the West Nile virus. We had two people die of it this year locally. :( - Budman

MissParker, I retired in San Diego with a state pension a year ago and immediately moved to Central Oregon, where we do get snow. I couldn't be happier getting away form the fires, road rage, crowded freeways and high taxes. Trust me, you won't miss it one bit.

Retire Soon, Thanks for the words of encouragement. I can't wait to get away from here. The traffic, noise, rude people and the cost of living will definitely not be missed. I will not miss the 100+ degree heat in the summer either! There are some positives but not worth staying for.

I left Cincinnati in the early 70's. I've been back every couple of years to visit, and can't imagine ever moving back. Thank God not everyone feels the same way.

That is funny riskadverse! I grew up in a smaller community closer to Dayton. I can't count how many times I have been to that city but I have only visited Cincinnati twice. One time was to go to the MEPS when I joined the Navy! My sister never left Ohio (Hamilton) and she isn't that fond of Cincinnati either.

Back
Top Bottom