Pleasant Surprise

Not exactly recent, but when I was on the "glide" path for ER, I took a lateral job move. when I got the acceptance, they told me it came with a 5% raise. I lol'd all the way to the bank.

Then the raise got tied up and took a while to take effect, so they made me whole with a lump sump make-up for 3 months.

hi1u new prada bag.

This year's stock market rally. We're going to spend $10K extra next year.

When I involuntarily RE'd, retirement had been a very abstract concept. As I was going through my numbers at the time, I suddenly realized that I was eventually eligible for SS! (I know, I know...oblivious worker).

Getting an extra $25K from SS was something that had never occurred to me. Seriously, I knew about SS, but it never entered my mind as part of my own equation until maybe 6 months after my ER and I was re-re-re-re-running my numbers. "Wait a minute....you mean...."

Then came the Medicare revelation..... mo' money! mo' money!

Last edited:
As of this June, I am also qualified for the employer's health insurance benefits. But if I retire this year, our (my wife and I) monthly health insurance premium with this benefits would be about $1,340 per month, which is probably slightly more than that of unsubsidized ACA premium. I am wondering if such a retiree benefit is really useful in my case.

I understand that ACA may change, but the employer health insurance benefits can also change. But I could probably control my income to get ACA subsidies.

Any ideas about health insurance in a similar case?
I am eligible for retiree health insurance from my former megacorp employer, but the insurance I get from the ACA is far less expensive. I do get a subsidy with the ACA but even without that, buying health insurance on my own would be cheaper than my retiree health insurance 'benefit'.

I find out that I do not need to spend that much to be happy, while I have more money than ever.

For example, either my taste buds have died or I don't give a darn anymore, but XO Cognac does not taste that much better than cheaper grades.

Hmmm... Is that a positive development, that you care about fewer things?

A very timely change of taste:

The U.S. is weighing tariffs of up to 100% on European products the Trump administration previously absolved from such duties, targeting some of the euro zone’s most emblematic products, including Irish and Scotch whiskies and Cognac.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/13/ust...fs-on-new-eu-products-including-whiskies.html

Back
Top Bottom