Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV)

Just went to the TX state fair & it seems like 50% of the cars were plug in types. Starting price of $23k (Chevy Bolt) to $80k+ (Ford Lightning & many others). Trucks still dominate the TX market, but I was surprised how many options are coming / here. Have to believe more competitive prices are coming in a recession or next year in general. We'll also see the likely winners of the market over the next few years, imo.

Just went to the TX state fair & it seems like 50% of the cars were plug in types. Starting price of $23k (Chevy Bolt) to $80k+ (Ford Lightning & many others). Trucks still dominate the TX market, but I was surprised how many options are coming / here. Have to believe more competitive prices are coming in a recession or next year in general. We'll also see the likely winners of the market over the next few years, imo.

That would shock me if it were even over 10%... 200k EVs vs 22 million registered... does not even come up to 1%.... the article says Dallas has the most EVs but 50% and any location...

From TXDOT.... Currently, there are more than 22 million registered vehicles in Texas.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-surpasses-200k-electric-vehicle-registrations-statewide/

I ask (because I do not know) if you leave a car with a Li or other "driving" battery any place, does it go dead while you are gone? I've never had a problem with a lead-acid battery failing to hold enough charge while gone for up to 9 months. Having said that, a normal ICE sounds like a diesel after 9 months without starting. I've got a friend who takes car of that issue now.
Last summer I purchased the top of the line Kia Sportage "Prestige" edition at around $50K without any rebates. Love the car and usually plug in at home or anywhere I can find free or cheap chargers, I'm averaging about 85 to 95 eMPG, but if I never plugged it in, it only gets 26 MPG. My cost to fill up at the pump is usually about 8 Gal (I fill at a 1/4 tank) and $20-$30.

But my first issue was this very thing, a week long trip when I returned to the airport the regular AGM starter battery was dead. Quick jump from AAA solved the issue, and I purchased a jump starter to keep in the car, but the manual states it should only shut the car "off" (the internet control via my phone app) after 2 weeks of inactivity. I'm not sure what drained the battery, but I do have a dashcam that records when parked. Its hooked up to a power cutoff that should shut off the dashcam if the voltage drops below 11V. I 'think' that it was the PHEV part of the car that kept charging up the 12V battery (or kept charging it) while the dashcam ran and that's how it drained. But I haven't confirmed it yet, been too busy in my retirement.

Yeah, my concern was leaving an EV unattended for (in my case) a summer (3 to 5 months.) WHat happens to the Li or NiMh battery? I've heard of early issues of batteries "bricking" if they went completely flat after a long period without being charged. I would assume that could happen in an unattended PHEV as well. Anyone know?

Yeah, my concern was leaving an EV unattended for (in my case) a summer (3 to 5 months.) WHat happens to the Li or NiMh battery? I've heard of early issues of batteries "bricking" if they went completely flat after a long period without being charged. I would assume that could happen in an unattended PHEV as well. Anyone know?

You could do unattended charging, schedule it through the app.

Or presumably, you can initiate a charge from your phone.

But a greater concern about unattended charging would be possible fires if there are problems with the batteries, as was the case with Bolts a couple of years ago.

Though when some EVs did catch fire, it was pointed out that ICE cars catch fire at greater rates.

Bricking really only happened with very early BEVs (about 15 years ago).
I don’t believe that happens to any BEV anymore.
I don’t believe that ever happened to PHEVs.

If you are leaving the car at home, I would suggest plugging it in. Think of it as a battery tender.

3-5 months seems like a very long time to leave a vehicle someplace other than home. Thus I recommend plugging it in. Be it a BEV, PHEV or ICE vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom