Poll: Are You Staying Up For The Election Coverage?

Are You Staying Up For The Election Coverage?

• Yes - I like to watch, blow by blow

Votes: 48 51.6%
  • No - I can wait

Votes: 36 38.7%
  • I'm undecided :-)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
DH and I will stay up late and watch the results. Our feline companions couldn't care less and will go to sleep early as always. Hmmm...perhaps they're smarter than we give them credit for :)

No, Tuesday night is Big Bang Theory rerun night on TBS, I'll be watching that.

One of the reasons that many Hawaii residents claim that they don't vote is because the media's election exit pollsters call the contest before the polls are even close to closing here.

You just need to go vote BEFORE you go surfing to get it to count before they call the election! :D

DW and I are going out to dinner with my brother and his wife. When we get back we'll check the news and hit the sack, regardless.

Surely you jest.

Other than voting, I will not spend one second of my life on the blathering of overpaid pundits guessing.

When the counts are done, I am sure someone will tell me the outcome.
What he said!

I'll be staying up and watching. This election is very important to me this year as my health insurance situation is changing so drastically. I'm in Ohio where so much attention is being focused on the outcome for president. Eight pieces of election junk mail today on top 4-6 every day this week. State wise, we also have some big races and locally a few critical tax levy issues. People keep coming to the door to remind us to vote!

I enjoy all the high tech graphics and live TV glitches that the networks come up with.

I'm not a drinker at all but I'm planning on having some alcohol around just to ease the tension and/or celebrate an outcome or two.

I have not voted yet. Both parties are encouraging us to vote early but the one time I did it a few years ago I waited about 2.5 hours and it was very poorly organized. My local voting place is within walking distance and I've never waited more than 10 minutes.

I'm looking forward to it all being over.

Looks like I'm in the minority of 'undecided'. Depends on mood, other things, but I probably will get sucked into watching. Like others have said, not really any point to it. Sometimes I'm fascinated (or disgusted) by the inside baseball.

I recall one of the first elections I watched closely, the 1983 Chicago mayoral race. It was the first time in a long time that a Republican had a chance, or there was an actual race at all (beyond the Democratic primary). Either way, it would have been an historical mark for Chicago, either the first Black mayor or the first Jewish mayor.

I recall that in early poll results, Epton was leading by some huge % (83% or something), and they were talking about Epton conceding soon. I couldn't figure out how they could talk about conceding with such a huge lead. But that lead was in precincts where they expected a 90% plus for Epton, so they 'knew' he couldn't surpass 50% overall, and they were right.

An interesting item I had forgotten about:
Four years after the mayoral election, and less than three weeks after Mayor Washington died suddenly of a heart attack, Epton himself suffered a coronary and died in Ann Arbor, Michigan, aged 66.

-ERD50

I am stuck attending a planning board meeting 8 pm Eastern so will be late getting any info. Historically I have watched till they (usually) call the winner. Looks like w*rk is going to cramp my style "just one more time" again. It will be the last time.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (May, a done deal)

As always, I will be up till late watching TV and also online websites, twitter, etc. Maybe even go to an election party.Health Insurance for ER is just too important to me this time around.

In 2008 we were living in the Chicago area but got lazy and missed going to the Grant Park rally and I still regret it.

Only until about 11:30 pm (or fall asleep while trying to watch the TV in bed). As a local voting machine operator, I've got to zero run the machines at 6:30 am, help whoever needs help until 8pm, run the result tapes and finally get off my feet at 8:30 pm or so. Too tired to stay up late!

Yes, I will stay late if I can. The stakes of this election are very high this time around.

.... but, you said you didn't intend to vote, even though you think this election is really important. I don't understand why you don't stand up and be counted regardless of how one-sided you think the vote will be in your State.

I am not going to vote because I live in a state which result is known already, since it is heavily tilted towards one presidential candidate - and it happens to be the candidate I would vote for. No regrets.

following quote was directed to obgyn65...
.... but, you said you didn't intend to vote, even though you think this election is really important. I don't understand why you don't stand up and be counted regardless of how one-sided you think the vote will be in your State.

I understand it. All of the Illinois electoral votes will go one way, that is as certain as anything that I can imagine, yes, even the sun rising in the East. If I were so inclined, and was able to persuade half a million voters to vote the other way in my state, it would not effect the outcome.

As I said earlier, I am considering that conserving a little gasoline is probably a better civic action than voting in this state (I don;t feel that way if there are close local elections, or referendums).

But none of that affects the importance (or lack of) that one might assign the election overall.

-ERD50

I'll have four years to ponder the results, regardless of who/which party "wins".

No need for me to stay up :cool: ...

following quote was directed to obgyn65...

I understand it. All of the Illinois electoral votes will go one way, that is as certain as anything that I can imagine, yes, even the sun rising in the East. If I were so inclined, and was able to persuade half a million voters to vote the other way in my state, it would not effect the outcome.

I don't mean this as partison. If my state was a lock for the Republicans, I would vote Democratic for the same reasons. I carry no brief for any party.

As I said earlier, I am considering that conserving a little gasoline is probably a better civic action than voting in this state (I don;t feel that way if there are close local elections, or referendums).

But none of that affects the importance (or lack of) that one might assign the election overall.

-ERD50

My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. We have had very little in the way of political ads for the Presidential race. As a result, neither candidate has any interest in several problems in my home state that are a direct result of Federal activities past and present.

So, IMHO, voting Republican is one way of getting them to notice my state. Maybe, if my state was not considered a lock for the Dems, we would not be taken for granted by the Dems and ignored by the GOP.

If my home state was a lock for the Republicans I would vote Democratic for the same reasons. This is not a partisan issue and I carry no brief for either party. I want the candidates to realize that not everybody lives in a battle ground state.

Last edited:
My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. We have had very little in the way of political ads for the Presidential race. As a result, neither candidate has any interest in several problems in my home state that are a direct result of Federal activities past and present.

So, IMHO, voting Republican is one way of getting them to notice my state. Maybe, if my state was not considered a lock for the Dems, we would not be taken for granted by the Dems and ignored by the GOP.
Uh Oh. This thread is heading for the hog pen.

I'll be so dang glad when the 'lection is over and done with...

My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. ...

Yes, that is one way to look at it. Same thing for voting independent (each party has to try to capture some of that vote). I even thing not voting sends a message - deliver a real message and I'll get up and vote for you. But it is so strongly weighted it really is 'tilting at windmills' to think a single vote means anything in this case.

But I can respect anyone's decision in this case - vote for who you support, don't vote, vote against the incumbent or controlling party in an attempt to level the field, vote independent to send a message. They are all defend-able, IMO.

-ERD50

Tuesday...Tuesday....yeah, probably at the Irish pub after work, so since they don't have a TV in there (small blessings) we'll be talking of adventures past and future, plus a few tall tales, and standing around the fire out back with a pint in hand. Nah, not going to watch anything of the sort.
Figured I'll check in on my Twitter feed come morning to see what happened.
My life will continue along the same trajectory regardless of the outcome, a situation for which I am very grateful.

Tuesday...Tuesday....yeah, probably at the Irish pub after work, so since they don't have a TV in there (small blessings) we'll be talking of adventures past and future, plus a few tall tales, and standing around the fire out back with a pint in hand. Nah, not going to watch anything of the sort.
Figured I'll check in on my Twitter feed come morning to see what happened.
My life will continue along the same trajectory regardless of the outcome, a situation for which I am very grateful.

Excellent plan!

Whoever is elected won't take office until late January, and will then be POTUS for at least four years. What's the rush?

ERD50 said:

-ERD50

I am in Illinois too and was glad to vote. Regardless of the results at the top of the ticket, it made me take the time to learn about other races and candidates ("who's that??") and proposed legislation.

I am in Illinois too and was glad to vote. Regardless of the results at the top of the ticket, it made me take the time to learn about other races and candidates ("who's that??") and proposed legislation.

Yes, but I did that by downloading my ballot a few weeks ago.

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
Yes, but I did that by downloading my ballot a few weeks ago.

-ERD50

Dumb me didn't know you could download ballots. But I got a little fresh air by walking to a polling place located conveniently nearby. And met some neighbors in the process :)

Since I'll be in Key West I'll be up, but hopefully not watching the election coverage. DW and I cast our absentee ballots a couple of weeks ago now we can wait to see how it shakes out.

I confirm I will not vote (and I may be on call that day too !). I also confirm that it is my belief this election is really important. However, one candidate is 90% certain to win in the state I live in. Why vote then ? This is not like Europe where each vote counts, here they have Electoral Colleges, quite different from universal suffrage, which is superior in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom