Poll:Did you receive a "package" from your employer when you retired?

Did you receive a retirement "package"

• Yes, I negotiated a deal with my employer

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Yes, I received the standard severance everyone got

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • No package

Votes: 123 70.3%

• Total voters
No package for me, just the satisfaction of leaving on my own terms, and that was priceless. I did work an extra week or so longer than I first intended but I got all that was owed to me. Fast forward 1.5 years and the company offered an "early retirement" package to long term employees. I would have qualified for that, but my freedom was worth more.

Heh, heh, I didn't take anything extra in the box, but I'm still using the amazing pens I forgot to take out of my pockets all those years. I've never had pens that last 15+ years (they quit when and only when ALL the ink is gone.) What a special benefit! Not quite as good as a package, but... YMMV

It wasn't a real benefit, but when I packed my stuff for my final departure, I had 2 big duffles of company issued FRC (fire retardant clothing) that cost big bucks when issued. I believe the shirts were $150 ea and pants similar. Probably $4K in total clothing. I had accumulated 14 changes of work clothing because my typical work shift was 14 days. It was totally allowed to do what I wanted with them, they were personalized for me, embroidered with company logo, my name, job titles and facility location as required. I don't know why I packed it all home, it's not like I'll wear them again. The baggage allowance for my final flight was waived and I could pack as much stuff home as I wanted.

I should have got some pens, lol.

No package for me, just the satisfaction of leaving on my own terms, and that was priceless. I did work an extra week or so longer than I first intended but I got all that was owed to me. Fast forward 1.5 years and the company offered an "early retirement" package to long term employees. I would have qualified for that, but my freedom was worth more.

The bold above sums it up for me. There were some waiting for a package. 6 years later, with no packages, the company is now owned by a private equity firm funded from China and Saudi Arabia (Seriously:facepalm:). I can't imagine any great packages in the future.

Back
Top Bottom