Poll: Do You Still Take a Daily Newspaper?

Do You Still Take a Paid Daily Newspaper?

• We/I take a paid newspaper daily.

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • We/I take a Sunday paper only.

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • We don’t take any paid newspapers.

Votes: 112 55.4%

• Total voters
Do you put it on vacation most or all weekdays? I was thinking about switching around to do something like this, so i don't have the papers for the recycling bin on days i'm less likely to read it, that being days i'm not on public transpo.
I try to remember to put it on vacation hold from Mondays through Saturdays. Sometimes, they start or stop a day earlier or later than my request, so it doesn't work perfectly!

No. And they were dropped due to poor quality, delivery issues, or biased reporting, long before being replaced by internet.

25+ years.

Lots of trouble recently getting delivery on-time, though, so may drop down from daily to "Sunday only"

We live out in the sticks, only papers are “ weeklies”. We get the one for our valley and the one for a nearby “ big town” . EVERYONE here reads the news of the valley.

25+ years.

Lots of trouble recently getting delivery on-time, though, so may drop down from daily to "Sunday only"

Is your newspaper locally owned? Unfortunately, a lot of newspapers have been swallowed up by financial barracudas whose goal is to suck out whatever profit they can for short-term gain. Gatehouse Media is one such operation -- they're all over North Carolina.

Our regional paper was locally owned -- in fact, it was the first significant employee-owned news media company -- until hard times struck and the company was forced to go public. Now it's owned by Gannett. The decline in quality and service under Gannett has been dramatic.

I read the house copy of the local daily newspaper while eating my breakfast at a local restaurant. No subscription at home.

Is your newspaper locally owned? Unfortunately, a lot of newspapers have been swallowed up by financial barracudas whose goal is to suck out whatever profit they can for short-term gain. Gatehouse Media is one such operation -- they're all over North Carolina.

Our regional paper was locally owned -- in fact, it was the first significant employee-owned news media company -- until hard times struck and the company was forced to go public. Now it's owned by Gannett. The decline in quality and service under Gannett has been dramatic.

Ours is owned by a Berkshire Hathaway company.

The local plant also prints NY Times/WSJ/USA Today, etc.

I bet the local paper gets printed last...

Ours is owned by a Berkshire Hathaway company.

The local plant also prints NY Times/WSJ/USA Today, etc.

I bet the local paper gets printed last...

Hm, BH put Lee Enterprises, a chain of mostly smallish newspapers in the Midwest, in charge of managing its North Carolina papers starting in July. How recent was the start of your delivery problems?

Hm, BH put Lee Enterprises, a chain of mostly smallish newspapers in the Midwest, in charge of managing its North Carolina papers starting in July. How recent was the start of your delivery problems?

Yep, just in the last few months.

Increasing problems with the plant printing the local paper late, so it's (mostly) not been the carrier's fault.

OK, I guess I lied on the poll - forgot about WSJ subscrip....I don't think of it as a 'paper' like I used to get - the one that showed up on the doorstep and you leafed it through getting ink on your hands.....

Look forward to the physical WSJ everyday - especially the Saturday - 4 big section edition. Do not enjoy reading a newspaper on line. In fact it should be called a newscreen not a newspaper. Just sayin'.

Only way to know local news

I have no need for a national paper or a big city paper. I get that news from radio, TV, and Internet; filtering out the leftist bias. However, most radio and TV newscasts give a few brief sentences on a topic and then leave me wondering what the whole story is.

A local paper, though, is essential. Living in a semi-rural area, if I want to know about happenings in my community, the paper is the source. Everything from roadwork to high school sports is covered, and none of that is available from national or big city sources.

We still get wsj in print, my husband devours it every morning. I occasionally read the newspaper. I’ve only skimmed the online version. Somehow, I lost the urge to read the wsj from page to page.

Last edited:
I canceled our subscription last month after being a subscriber for 37 years. The paper continued to shrink and the price continued to grow until it just no longer made sense to pay $$$ for what had become little more than a pamphlet filled with ads. I miss my morning paper, but I am adjusting.

I recently called the local paper to cancel our 30+ year subscription. After telling the CSR why I no longer wished to continue, I was offered "Sunday only" for $2.50. I think that the regular Sunday price $5. When I declined, I was immediately offered the same thing for $2. After saying "no", I inquired, "Did you really think that I would accept that lame offer?" She said no but they are just instructed to ask.

Back
Top Bottom