Poll: Do You Still Take a Daily Newspaper?

Do You Still Take a Paid Daily Newspaper?

• We/I take a paid newspaper daily.

Votes: 77 38.1%
  • We/I take a Sunday paper only.

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • We don’t take any paid newspapers.

Votes: 112 55.4%

• Total voters
Too much time on this forum, so no time for newspapers.........

Delivery for the local paper and the WSJ, plus digital only for the NYT. I feel it's important to support quality journalism.

I always wanted to subscribe to, pay for, and read a daily newspaper in retirement, when I knew that for the first time in my life I'd have time to read it and the money to afford it. But unfortunately, New Orleans doesn't really have a physical daily paper of that type any more.

The best substitute I know of for local news is www.nola.com , the free online version, and it is pretty terrible with very low standards for journalism, grammar, and spelling.

No, we stopped it shortly after retiring, because the paper delivery person did a poor job of holding the paper when we traveled. Never went back to print - the electronic version was so freeing. No more paper clutter!!!

We got rid of absolutely all magazine subscriptions when we went full-time RVing. That was also very freeing. Rarely read a magazine now even online.

We don't subscribe to the electronic version of any paper now because we only rarely read articles in any given paper - usually due to a web search, and the articles are all over the place in terms of the source.

I still get the local newspaper, they do a generally good job with local news.

We have not subscribed to the local or regional physical paper in about 15 years. Although I have fond memories of sitting down with DW on Sunday morning with coffee, going through all the papers and discussing the news.

I now get most of my "print" news via Google News, which is customized for topics I like and several reputable online sources, including my local small-town paper and one regional metro paper. The local is free. The regional has a paywall that is ridiculously easy to circumvent.

After retiring, I thought I would enjoy reading a physical paper everyday. So I used some expiring FF miles to subscribe to the WSJ and Economist magazine. I enjoyed that a lot, but when the free subscription expired after a couple years, I was not willing to pay. So I'm back to Google News and still teaching it what I want in news. I also listen to NPR and watch PBS NewsHour a couple times each week.

Locally, it's more expensive to pay for online only access than print and online access. I pay for both, but mostly for the online content, and for the Sunday paper. I often put my print delivery on vacation hold during the week so I don't have to deal with the extra papers.

Columbus Dispatch & Wall Street Journal

Occasionally the Dispatch delivers late and since we read it with breakfast, we switch to the iPad version of it. I prefer the printer version if it.

With the WSJ, I prefer reading the iPad version over the printed version.

I guess I just like the WSJ iPad app better than the Dispatch's app.

I don’t receive a physical newspaper, but do subscribe to a digital version of a national daily. Seems the best of both worlds to me: no trees get killed, I’m not limited in the number of their articles I can read per month, and the money helps support their reporting.

I couldn’t have put it better.

Plus, my local rag has shrunk to nearly nothing and much of what I read (at the library on occasion) I’ve already read online.

I get Barrons, Wall Street Journal and local paper. The latter two I also get electronically.

Interesting that less than half of us get a print paper, and we're the older demographic that is supposedly more prone to get info the old way. I wonder how low the numbers are for the younger generations?

Wife gets/reads the paper. I sometimes catch the local news on tv.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I love a physical paper. i subscribe to WSJ, the local and regional paper. occasionally will add or subtract a sub. Nothing beats the physical paper. Expensive and trash are regional rag is! :(

I find it funny that people tend to get all worked up over the national news when it's state, county and municipal governments that tend to have the greatest impact on Americans' lives. Of course, local TV news focuses on car crashes and shootouts -- government seldom gets much attention.

That's why I get my local paper. It's far from perfect; in fact, it's not very good. But if something is going down locally that's likely to affect my life on an ongoing basis, I get a little warning. From there I can check the situation out on my own. School referendums, small-scale misfeasance or malfeasance are things that could affect my vote in an upcoming election.

Even the obituaries -- I have to admit it's the first thing I check every day at this point in my life.

If you can edit the poll, you may want to do that. (Try to edit your initial post that started the thread, maybe?)
You can’t edit a poll that I know of, and I’d already edited the OP...

Voted "We/I take a paid newspaper daily." before I saw your clarification.

We have a digital only paid subscription to our local newspaper.

I find it funny that people tend to get all worked up over the national news when it's state, county and municipal governments that tend to have the greatest impact on Americans' lives. Of course, local TV news focuses on car crashes and shootouts -- government seldom gets much attention.

That's why I get my local paper. It's far from perfect; in fact, it's not very good. But if something is going down locally that's likely to affect my life on an ongoing basis, I get a little warning. From there I can check the situation out on my own. School referendums, small-scale misfeasance or malfeasance are things that could affect my vote in an upcoming election.

Even the obituaries -- I have to admit it's the first thing I check every day at this point in my life.
I also subscribe to the local paper, for the same reason. Local governance has a greater impact on our day to day lives, and I appreciate (and am willing to pay for) the coverage they provide and would be hard pressed to find it elsewhere.

I'm not into the obits - yet. :)

I think newspapers are a bargain and easily among the best values to be found today.

You can’t edit a poll that I know of, and I’d already edited the OP...

Try asking a Mod or Admin if they can make the changes you want. I'm no longer in either of those categories, but it seems to me like I was able to do that way back when.... :D

I voted no. However, I do have digital subscriptions to both the NYT and the Washington Post neither of which is local for me.

We still get a physical paper, but may stop the weekday subscription in the spring.

No. It's unfortunate- our city paper did some really good investigative journalism and we wanted to support that- but the physical paper kept getting thinner and thinner and they kept cutting parts we liked (the Personal Finance section on Sunday). The final straw was 2 years ago when they delivered it only about half the time. I started buying it at the store on Sunday but when I pulled out all the ads there was very little left.

I read whatever is free on-line and supplement with podcasts.

Back
Top Bottom