Poll: How many days a week do you charge something?

How many days a week are you charging some battery powered device?

• 5 days/week or more

Votes: 77 80.2%
  • 2-4 days/week

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Once a week

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Less than once a week

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
Cell phone daily.
Tablet once or twice a week.
Laptop battery died long ago; it stays plugged in all the time.

I'm one of the outliers, it seems. I don't charge my phone every day, and I only charge my tablet (a new Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite) about once a week. I tend to let my devices get down to less than 15% before I recharge them. My DW, OTOH, charges her phone almost daily, but that's because she uses it heavily for work and to keep in touch with her family (much more than I use mine).

Phones and tablet every night, unless I forget:facepalm:

Laptop is plugged in all the time (really used as a desktop).

Everyday for iphone, iPad, Apple Watch, earbuds, and sonicare toothbrush. About every 5 days for electric car.

Keeping your battery at 100% maximum stress will kill it

I've heard this too and usually only charge my phone to 80%-85%. However my laptop is usually plugged in and my electric toothbrush is always on its base and fully charged and neither have shown signs of battery deterioration. (Toothbrush ~4yr now)

Ipad every night and Iphone every other night as I don't use it much. Kindle maybe once a week. I don't have room in the bathroom for the charger for the electric toothbrush so the charger for that is at my desk and I charge it maybe every 3 weeks, it's surprising how long that lasts.

Pixel 5a phone: every other day (and I use it a lot--the battery is astonishingly long lasting.)

TicWatch Pro 2020 smartwatch: every day, though I sometimes go 2 full days without charging. I charge every day just in case I'm away from home on the 2nd day and it might run out.

Kindle Paperwhite: about once every three weeks. I use it about 45 min - 1 hour every night.

If possible you should charge devices as infrequently as you can get away with it. The reason is that charging batteries creates heat. Heat wears out batteries. For the same reason you should avoid running your phone down to 5% and then fully charging to 100%. This practice is probably the worst thing you can do to your phone battery. Best practice is to keep it between 20% and 80% or else 30% and 90%, if you can.

Charging overnight is not the best practice either. Constantly having the battery bumping up against 100% produces heat, though not as badly as the full charging process.

For those that like to charge overnight, Android 12 on the new Pixel 6 phones has a battery optimization setting whereby you set a time at night and in the morning that corresponds to your typical overnight charging cycle. (Example: 11 pm to 7 am) Android 12 then creates a gentle charging cycle that gradually brings it close to 100% over the course of the night. This technique doesn't stress your battery.

If you buy a new phone every 2 years then do whatever you want with the battery charging cycle.

Back
Top Bottom