Poll: How many members live on a small Island? Like a USA Barrier, US/UK Virgin etc.

Do you Live on an Island most of the year & which type? Air Connections Not included.

• Yes, Standalone Island No Connections to the/a Mainland

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Yes, US Barrier Island, with Bridge(s) to Mainland

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes, with Ferry or Water Taxi to Mainland, No Bridge(s)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Not All Year as we have 2 homes, one on an Island the other on the Mainland

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No, we/I live on the/a mainland

Votes: 83 85.6%

• Total voters
Live on an island?.... Not now, but some of the happiest days came when we lived on the island of Martha's Vineyard... in this house, long before it was a B&B. It had secret rooms and hidey places, probably added during the Civil War.

1720 House Bed & Breakfast - Home

It was my first job as a store manager for Sears Roebuck... (a catalog store).
I've written a bit about this before I think, but just a little more.
First of all, it wasn't a bed and breakfast then, but had been a summer home for William Randolph Hearst. When we lived there, it was owned by his niece, and hadn't been lived in since 1951, when W.R.H died. It was just an afterthought. We then rented it for a few years until I was promoted to a larger store in Falmouth Mass. (BTW... check the rental prices for the 1720 B&B House.) Especially in August. (we paid $90/mo.)

Access by Ferry only, and a small airfield. When I had to go to Reserve meetings in Providence, I''d take the 3 P.M. ferry... and come back on the last ferry of the day, @ 10:45.
....................................................................................

Now, FYI, people who live on M.V. are a different breed. particularly those who were born there. As the story goes...

"A baby, born on the mainland moved with his parents to the island and as he grew up, became a valued citizen and a well know personage on the island... Later on he became mayor of Edgartown. When he passed away at age 99, the minister giving him the last rites, began with:

".... and now we say goodbye to this beloved stranger"."
...................................................................................................

One more thing. When I was transferred to Falmouth, and on my second day, (jeanie was still on M.V.) our third son was born in the island hospital.
Ergo, Kerry IS one of a vanishing breed... a native born Islander.

Some of the happiest days of our life. I had a Sunfish, and with my two older sons... then aged 3 and 4, sailed almost every one of my days off. Even though we all had life preservers, and both kids could (by then) swim, we'd get the evil eye, and uncomplimentary remarks. Under the bridge, out into the Atlantic, and over to Oak Bluffs... our favorite beach.

Back in those days, as it is even now.... M.V. was a haven and a goto place for public personalities... Yacht would pull up to the M.V. Yacht Club (about 200 yards from our house. Constant entertainment in the summer. We used to drive to Jimmy Cagney's house in Chilmark, to see who might be there. We can remember when Frank Sinatra's yacht would dock in the harbor. Shortly after we moved, There was a nationwide scandal about a drowning from his yacht, when Mia Farrow was aboard. Big headlines at the time.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2014/07/31/star-struck

In retrospect, despite moving 22 times since those days, I often wonder what life might have been like, had we just stayed there.

It seems we have more in common than Peru! I was living on MV that summer and vividly remember walking past Mia and Frank, Mia had pigtails and one of those big swirling lollipop's. I spent quite a few summers in MV and remember the candy shop and merry-go-round in Oak Bluffs and fishing off the bridge between OB and Edgartown. Not sure if it was the same summer, but went to my first movie alone "Yellow Submarine" playing at the Main St theater in Edgartown.

Lived on Oahu for almost 5 years back in the 60s. Haven't lived on another island since.

Back
Top Bottom