Poll:Is SS a critical part of your retirement plan?

Is social security a critical part of your retirement plan?

• I can live comfortably without social security

Votes: 109 40.2%
  • My plan is dependent on receiving my full SS amount - no haircuts

Votes: 37 13.7%
  • My plan is dependent on SS but would be okay with a 25% haircut

Votes: 112 41.3%
  • What is social security?

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters
:eek::eek::eek: The oldest Baby Boomers are just hitting 70. The youngest are not yet 60. Can we make that at least 20 more years? :confused:

Must be some assumption that people over 70 don't vote :confused:

As a young one, I would very much like SS destroyed and replaced by Universal Basic Income, allowing me to move up my retirement date and my semi-retirement date.

As a young one, I would very much like SS destroyed and replaced by Universal Basic Income, allowing me to move up my retirement date and my semi-retirement date.

I dont know what that Universal stuff is , but it sounds like to me , that some how you want me getting stiffed out of my promised social security> This is what im hearing, i could be wrong. You might be saying that you want them to back date my 226k that me and my employer paid over the years and throw it into a 50/50 fund.The excess it generated if any can then do nice things besides pay me what i was promised.

If you're a high earner with a long work history, I don't think you'd like how this would work out. It would mean that no longer what you and your employer paid in, you couldn't get more than the max. In order for it to be feasible, the max would have to be at some non-luxurious level- maybe $25K/couple? And, depending on how it worked, you could be shut out completely if it took other sources of income into account such as investment earnings. If it were reduced for other sources of income, I could see it discouraging savings, which would be terrible public policy.

Back
Top Bottom