Poll:Is your ZIP in the Super ZIP's?

From your ZIP code and the Washington Post link, what is your rank?

• 90 to 100

Votes: 76 36.0%
  • 80 to 89

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • 70 to 79

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 18 8.5%
  • 40 to 49

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • 30 to 39

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 20 to 29

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • 10 to 19

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 1 to 9

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Where I live now. 32
The neighborhood I moved from (first house) 14
My parent's house 8

So, I guess while my number is low, it has been an upward trajectory. Interestingly, the income level was highest in my parent's neighborhood but few college grads.

Where I grew up, 51
Where I currently live for last 27 years, 98
Where I hope to retire in 1 - 2 years, 73

99. Our car is too old and cheap even for the high school students' parking lot.

Amethyst

Mine was 26, I live 4 miles away from 90. It's amazing how different areas that are so close can be.

We recently downsized, moving 6 miles. The original home is in a 36, the new home is a 50. I think its because the first zipcode has more apartments than the second and since a lot of people live on SSI alone that could pull the average income way down.

61 in central Arkansas. It was thrilling to be in AR and not in the bottom category.

10 for the zip where i was raised - SE Arkansas. Difficult to make a living down there.

....i just thought to check DH's hometown of Topsfield, MA. It is a 97. Looks like we come from different backgrounds, lol.

Last edited:
30, but I'll bet it's a bit higher now since this was taken from 2010 Census data and the local Eagle Ford shale/oil/gas boom has added a very large amount of wealth here in the last 2-3 years. County property tax rolls are about 3x higher than they were in 2010 because of the skyrocketing value of the land (because of oil and gas royalties). Wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 40 now. (Movin' on up!)

Frankly I'd prefer the lower cost of living, but this oil money is why my wife's employer is doing very well financially despite having a small congregation. So I suppose it's in our interests for it to continue!

Last edited:
Ok, so I went and looked at where I grew up (my mom in her late 80s still lives there). It is a 15 which seems about right for it.

I live in an 83 but my house is really in an community that's part of the 95 next to us. The zip codes are not layed out by community. It's how the Post Office set it up several decades ago.

And in semi-rural, suburban areas where people live on acreage there can be wide disparities between different subdivisions. I have no doubt that if done by subdivision, the current subdivision I'm in would be over 95 (it is much nicer than the area around the land that we sold before this which was a 96). On the other hand, within the same zip code but more than 20 minutes away there are (nice) apartments which probably drag down the rating.

So this is how credit card solicitors and loan interest rate deciders have been judging us for years.

Like it here.
One of the zip's in our town goes down to 5. But it is not very safe there. Funny thing is it is only three zip code's away from one that is 96.

Last edited:
97 for us. I can't wait to cash out and be the Joneses some place cheaper.

I have been taking the happiness studies to heart, and most people seem happy if they live better than their reference group. We have (almost) nowhere to go but down!

This was one of our light bulb moments about retirement - if we weren't working megacorp jobs, we would have less income, but then we wouldn't need as much income if we moved away from the area where the megacorp jobs kept the housing prices high.

Last edited:
I checked where I grew up out of curiosity (a 45). I thought it would be a lot lower as it is a shell of an old steel town. I moved 16 miles to my present home (a 57) in 2004 and the municipality I left scored a 90. Where I live now is very diverse, with quite a bit of countryside outside of the city limits. My previous location was a bedroom community for high earning professionals, many of whom moved just over the county line from Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) for lower taxes on their McMansions and a belief that the schools were better. My son came home with tales of kids who drove their own luxury cars to the high school campus and spent school breaks in ski and beach resorts.

As I overheard a young employee tell a couple of other youngsters as they were walking out to the parking lots:

"I hate that there's terrible traffic, and it's because of us."

There is so much mega-employment around here, it is actually degrading the quality of life.

Amethyst

if we weren't working megacorp jobs, we would have less income, but then we wouldn't need as much income if we moved away from the area where the megacorp jobs kept the housing prices high.

52 where I grew up
99 where I live now

That WP article may as well be about my current neighborhood, where most homes have 2 working adults, typically attorneys, and the lawn is cut by a professional landscaper. People can't believe it around here when they see me working on my own car, or doing work on the outside of my own house.

Cashing out of the current house and neighborhood is the vision. The plan is still in the works, and is subject to decisions made by the US Navy.

Last edited:
89....where I grew up

96....where I now live

48.....where I may retire

Love the safety.

Love the schools.

Love the stable traditional family units. (Ironically, that is a common trait in many super-zips, but i'm sure it's just a coincidence)

Hate the NorthFaceBMWAcuraCoachLuisVutton snobbery but decided i'm willing to pay that price in return for the other stuff.
Is North Face really in the same league as the others? I have a soft spot for them since we bought our hiking gear in the 1970's. Seems to be reasonably priced even now. I'd rather manufacturers did not put their brand name so prominently on their gear but it seems to be the fashion.

You people are lucky. When I was a young boy we were too poor to have a zip code.

The Washington Post has a map where you can input your ZIP code and find out what percentile your ZIP ranks for income and college education. The link to the application is here: Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post

Cool! It tells you at a glance how prosperous a section of town is.

However, as others have noted, a Zip code may encompass a large swath of land covering many subdivisions, and there may be a large disparity within it. I looked at some and found some very interesting statistics. For example, I compare Zip A, which is a part of a well-known well-to-do town inside my metropolitan area, and Zip B which is a smaller Zip code near where I live.

Zip A: Score 97, Median Income $117K, College graduate 68%
Zip B: Score 97, Median Income $121K, College graduate 65%

I would not think Zip B would score as high as Zip A. But then Zip B is a small and more uniform area, so scores high although driving by it one would not be so impressed as with Zip A. Most people do not even know about this little area.

So, I looked at Zillow, and it gives another reason why Zip A looks more impressive. Most expensive home for sale in Zip A: $30M. Most expensive home for sale in Zip B: $6.7M. It's the most expensive homes in an area that attracts attention, and gives an area its reputation.

PS. Similarly, if one were to show average income rather than media income, I am willing to bet Zip A would pull ahead by a big margin. When a town has a billionaire or two, it drives up the average by a huge amount. And everyone would hear about where that billionaire took residence.

Last edited:
My zip is 87.

The poll shows that ERers tend to live in wealthy communities. I conclude that you have to be well paid to save enough to ER.

You people are lucky. When I was a young boy we were too poor to have a zip code.

Me too. I was born in the UK before we had post codes, name, street, town and county worked fine.

The poll shows that ERers tend to live in wealthy communities. I conclude that you have to be well paid to save enough to ER.
And we should remember that when we ask why the average Joe cannot retire early. It's tough to ER, unless one has a pension or makes enough to save a lot.

Hence, I am more interested to hear stories of people who can retire early with an average income.

We're at 90. The place where I grew up (on the other side of the country) is 90. But DW's hometown was 64, so I guess she's a social climber. I just never saw that side of her before.

I don't think you can draw any conclusions from the poll without a little bit more information. The zip codes are just rank-ordered, there's no linkage to the populations. It's possible (and I think likely) that the lower-ranking zip codes are rural and that fewer people live in them. Conversely, more people will be concentrated in the higher-ranking zip codes. So, like Lake Wobegon, most of America (and most American ER's) will be above average. Or at least they'll live in above average zip codes.

Back
Top Bottom