• Let it go.

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • Ask.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Pancakes.

Votes: 8 8.3%

• Total voters
they threw in a free foundation

As the delivery team unloaded it, they noticed and pointed out to me a black mark on the foundation. It's dark, noticeable, and about 1/2" in diameter. They took pictures, I took pictures, and I noted it on the delivery paperwork when I signed.

OMG!

Have you contacted a good attorney yet? The type you need frequently advertises on late night TV or on bill boards adjacent to major highways. This incident will get you big bux in compensation for the stress, suffering and anguish you have experienced and the financial losses you have occurred. I can imagine the pain and humiliation you experienced as the delivery person (who delivered it for free) pointed out the 0.5" mark on the free foundation the store gave you.

Don't put up with this sh*t! Save the records from the emergency room, cardiologist and psychiatrist. Calculate how current losses in your FIRE portfolio are due to the mattress store's negligence since you haven't been able to concentrate on anything but the 0.5" mark since it was first pointed out to you.

Remember, every night as you lay down to sleep you'll know that that mark is there. You can't see it...... but you'll know it's there! And it will drive you over the brink!

I vote for "D" - LITIGATE! Get the compensation and justice you deserve!

Last edited:
If I showed this to DW, she'd say call or email. "It can't hurt to try."

My opinion: A. Life's too short.

Life is short. You won't see the mark.

Let it go.
+10. You’ll never see it, I’d be happy I got any discount. You could have rejected it when it arrived.

Enough stress in a person life with real issues other than a mark on the wall. I would "let it go".

Life is short. Is this the best use of your time? If not, let it go. If it is.. fight for another 5%. You may get lucky(ier).

I personally don't bother with such things.

With all the nonsense going on these days, this advice could be applied to 99.5% of everyone's "problems".

With all the nonsense going on these days, this advice could be applied to 99.5% of everyone's "problems".
Not to belittle the OP, but I would be ashamed to even bring this concern up and ask the question and almost trying to take advantage on top of it all. To me it shows selfishness with already getting compensated and having a great deal to begin with.

You wonder if the shoe was on the other foot, if OP would have done in compensation. I'm sure I know what he would do.

Last edited:
I would have already forgotten about it.
I can’t eat pancakes either, not because of gluten, but because of the fructose in syrup.

Thanks to most for the replies. They got me thinking about a lot of different aspects of the situation.

Mostly it's another example of being raised by a Depression Era mother who thought she was doing us a favor to teach us to always be scrapping and scraping - picking up pennies, paying attention to gas prices around town, and taking the leftover shampoo and conditioner bottles from the hotel. While wasting money just because you can isn't good either, this scarcity mindset almost certainly isn't necessary in my case any more. It's hard to unlearn a lifetime of habits.

The other realization I had is that this situation coincidentally occurred at a point where I am low on cash on hand and reluctant to sell assets to raise cash, which had colored my viewpoint on how to handle the situation.

I also realize that when I read others posting about similar situations, I'm usually in the "let it go" camp as well. But I can see how, for people wired like me and who are retired with time on their hands, seeking a way to right wrongs can have powerful appeal.

I've decided to let it go, mostly because after thinking through all of the aspects of it, I think it's worth forgoing any additional discount to work on letting go of the scarcity mindset.

Specific replies:

@Irishgirlyc58, thanks for the suggestion. I could apparently have oat bran, because I'm only gluten intolerant, not celiac.

@pb4uski, thanks, you understood what was really my main issue with it.

@youbet, I found your reply to be melodramatic, snarky, unkind, unhelpful, and hurtful. I hope I misunderstood you.

@street, I doubt you know me as well as you think you do. But your post did make me realize how the "scrapping and scraping" of a scarcity mindset could lead others to judge me as greedy. I hope that's not the case with me, but it's something for me to think about.

@youbet, I found your reply to be melodramatic, snarky, unkind, unhelpful, and hurtful. I hope I misunderstood you.

I took it as humor. Maybe it didn’t hit the mark. Hard to convey the proper tone in writing.

If I got 10% off a piece of furniture with a mark on it that will never show I'd be ecstatic. Might ask.what else they have like that. Why let it bother you?

A sarcastic reply to a petty question (per the poll and most replies), imagine that…
marko said:
+1. Being indignant at every opportunity has been in fashion to many these days. First world problems…

Oh, for Pete's sake, lighten up. We've been reading each other's posts for many years now and you should be used to my often lame sarcasm and attempts at humor. I really meant my story to be more of a commentary on our society in general these days. And your post just seemed so deadly serious about a relatively insignificant issue. If, for example, you had received a bunch of very expensive furniture and it was seriously flawed and the company was refusing to work with you, I'd have never joked around about it.

In any case, I meant to be melodramatic but not to be snarky, unkind, unhelpful or hurtful. I'm sorry you took it that way. My apologies. :flowers:

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Talking about beds reminded me of Select Comfort which includes a pretty significant charge for "white glove delivery" bring into the bedroom, assemble . haul away old mattress.

I'm pricing one during Covid and go to live chat where they tell me we don't do white glove during Covid but we don't discount the cost of the white glove we won't offer you. It was at least a couple hundred bucks. I literally lost my you know what, saying that's unethical and underhanded and bite me. Compared to SC your local store is the gold standard.

But the important question is do you like the bed ?:dance:

Oh, for Pete's sake, lighten up. We've been reading each other's posts for many years now and you should be used to my often lame sarcasm and attempts at humor. I really meant my story to be more of a commentary of our society in general these days. And your post just seemed so deadly serious about a relatively insignificant issue. If, for example, you had received a bunch of very expensive furniture and it was seriously flawed and the company was refusing to work with you, I'd have never joked around about it.

In any case, I meant to be melodramatic but not to be snarky, unkind, unhelpful or hurtful. I'm sorry you took it that way. My apologies. :flowers:

I just thought you had a side gig going as a contingency litigator. I totally intended to message you the next time I had a consumer problem.

OMG!

Have you contacted a good attorney yet? The type you need frequently advertises on late night TV or on bill boards adjacent to major highways. This incident will get you big bux in compensation for the stress, suffering and anguish you have experienced and the financial losses you have occurred. I can imagine the pain and humiliation you experienced as the delivery person (who delivered it for free) pointed out the 0.5" mark on the free foundation the store gave you.

Don't put up with this sh*t! Save the records from the emergency room, cardiologist and psychiatrist. Calculate how current losses in your FIRE portfolio are due to the mattress store's negligence since you haven't been able to concentrate on anything but the 0.5" mark since it was first pointed out to you.

Remember, every night as you lay down to sleep you'll know that that mark is there. You can't see it...... but you'll know it's there! And it will drive you over the brink!

I vote for "D" - LITIGATE! Get the compensation and justice you deserve!

I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time. I love this blog!

I think you missed the humor. It was a humorous and sarcastic attempt (and quite witty I might add) at pointing out the absurdity of some of the things we spend our time worried about. I found his response very entertaining and certainly not meant to be hurtful.

Apology accepted, thanks for the reply. :flowers:

I'm glad you made a decision you feel well with. I understand your frugal bringing up. I came from a poor family, and we scrapped and scrounged we had nothing but had it all. Being frugal is one thing, taking advantage, greed and cheap is a completely different mindset and action.
I hope you get that spot fixed up and move on with your decision you made.

Good Luck Sir.

Ok now was that 10% off the original purchase price or 10% off the 50% off price? lol.

If I knew the mark was going up against the wall (and in 2 weeks I will have forgotten there was even a mark there) I wouldn't have asked for anything to begin with.

Mike

I read somewhere that a Cheetah will chase a prey for x seconds (22.6?) and after that will abandon the chase because he knows the gain in potential calories is outweighed by the effort and calories spent.

Personally, some things just aren't worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom