Poll: Minimum time retired to not feel cheated?

Minimum time retired to not feel cheated

• If I'm out one day it will be enough

Votes: 18 6.2%
  • 1 year minimum

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 5 years

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 10 years

Votes: 28 9.7%
  • 20 years

Votes: 132 45.7%
  • 30 years or more

Votes: 71 24.6%
  • Other

Votes: 22 7.6%

• Total voters
My goal has always been to be retired for at least as many years as I worked. I worked full-time for 31 years, starting at age 20. I retired at age 50 and have been retired almost 16 years.

QTL is the important thing; how much quality time left when you retire and each year after. I'm in my 16th year of full retirement, and so far so good. I worked for 43 years, so would like to get 43 retirement years. Not likely. I guess 15 more years, until I'm 90 would be fair. As long as they're quality years.

I said 20, as I'd like to have a chance to spend 20 years diving full time, after working for 28 years, not including college and internships. If I get to do 4 big dive trips a year for 20 years, that's 80 trips, and should mostly satisfy my bucket list. I'd be 73. I'd rather go at 73, than be in poor health and go after 80.

Of course, there's being in good health at 80, relatively speaking. Unfortunately, life happens (other than things we can control like diet, exercise, and our weight). So, we won't have a say. My fear was that I'd save up for retirement and die before I got to enjoy it. So that's why this year, at 53, after delaying for 3.5 years past my original goal of my 50th birthday, I'm taking the plunge!

I voted for 'other' . I never looked at work as "servitude" but rather as an interesting challenge. I enjoyed my 22 years in the military almost as much as my 12 years full timing in an RV. I enjoyed the many challenges of being a small business owner, along with the challenges of a late in life corporate executive. Life has been good to us (42 years married) and now we are enjoying retirement with zero financial worries. Everyday I can get out of bed on my own I consider a 'great' day....and a week or month without a medical appointment makes life even better.

Life is short and you better enjoy it while you can:dance:

My calculus was simple. About 25 years to grow up, get educated, and find a good job. Then about 25 years on that job. Finally even things out with about 25 years of retirement. Anything additional will be gravy.

I like your thinking. It is very nearly my timeline. It took me about 22 years to grow up, get educated, and find a good job. I worked for 23 years, 16 FT and 7 PT, retiring 10 years ago at age 45. So, a 22-23-year retirement would get me to age 66 or 67 (and I answered 20 years in the poll). Given that I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 4 years ago, I do wonder if that will eventually shorten my life. I do have it under control, and my doctor is happy with my progress.

The men in my family have always outlived the women, a good sign for me. My mom, who was in and out of the workforce (working PT or freelancing) for most of her adult life before working FT for 8 years prior to her 4-year retirement on disability, passed away at age 59. My dad worked for 45 years before retiring at age 63 and has been retired for the last 25 years. Their fathers each lived longer than their mothers, with my mom's dad outliving her mom by 22 years.

How long should your retirement last for you to feel it was worth sacrificing for?

It didn't occur to me that in my working years that I was sacrificing anything. Working for me was just part of life. Kind of like it didn't seem to me I sacrificed anything while I was in third grade. Third grade was just something you were supposed to do as least once, maybe twice. And, later in my life I didn't have a burning desire to retire, I just kind of wore out, so I understood it was time for me to retire.

Maybe I was fortunate because after school was done, I worked in a profession that I enjoyed. Along with that, I created a part-time job and worked at it 1/2 time for about 10 years. I thought it was the best job in the world; it was something I first realized I wanted to do back in high school. I had those the two jobs, I was working(?) at least 60 hours a week and enjoying my work life.

Maybe the downside of this is that while my retirement years (four) have been enjoyable they have not been particularly special.

Last edited:
I voted other because I'd pick 25 years. That should put me around 85 (assuming I retire at 60). Both my parents were still in good health and active at that age.

I retired 8+ years ago. I voted one day. I hated my job by the time I retired. The stress was killing me. I’ve had different stressors since then but I have never regretted gaining my freedom. If I accomplish nothing that’s okay. If something or someone wonderful comes along, also okay. I’m enjoying life one day at a time.

Don't know how to answer.
22 years growing up and school
30 years working
30 years retired
60 years married

Pretty good health for both of us.

Had coffee this AM, with Kelly, 100, Milo, 95, Floyd, 94, Don 95, and five other guys within 5 years of my age. The first four are still very sharp, and in to life.Kelly and Milo still drive every day.

Jeanie and I are both comfortable with life, and don't dwell on how long. Every day is a joy, and we try to fill it things that make us happy, and have learned not to dwell on those things we don't or can't do any more.

20 years sounds about right. My Mom and Dad were retired for 33 and 36 years respectively, and they would have told you that was WAY too long. I’m not looking forward to my 90th birthday at all.

My mother is 102 yrs old and still living at home. I guess my 90th will come before I know it. :cool:

"How long should your retirement last for you to feel it was worth sacrificing for?"

I never thought about it that way. In my early 30's, working for a megacorp, I set a goal to become financially independent and able to retire by age 55. My thinking was I wanted the option of to leave the workforce and live comfortably if I no longer enjoyed working or was forced to do so due to losing a job or health problems. By age 58 I was working for a small company and was unhappy in my job. I decided to retire and turned in my resignation. The owner of the company begged me to stay to help the firm through some legal issues he had caused by making what I thought were poor decisions. I agreed to stay for six months at which time he asked me to continue. I stayed another six months. One day I woke up, decided I was wasting my life, called him and told him I would not longer come into the office. I have not looked back.

Since leaving the working world, six years ago, my wife and I have enjoyed the home we built over a decade ago, our family, and traveling in the RV we bought a year before I retired. The RV experience has been much better than we anticipated because we've made many new friends on the road. Our life experience is truly richer for it. My only regret is the extra year I worked to help someone who didn't appreciate the loyalty and time I gave him and the company. I didn't need the money, didn't enjoy the work, and wasn't happy. I should have been selfish and left on my own timing.

To me retirement is a new stage in life's journey, not a payoff. I enjoyed most of my working years and received monetary, emotional, and intellectual compensation for the years I worked. Those years are behind me now and I'm much more aware of mortality today than I was during my working years. I'm in my mid 60's and hope to have at least 15 healthy and productive years ahead of me. My current goal is to make them as enjoyable and fulfilling as possible for DW and me.

I have no idea how many "good" years I have ahead of me. Perhaps one, perhaps 2-3 decades. I will be happy with however many years I have. I received a full return on my investment of time during my good working years. I can assure you I'm enjoying every minute today.

I chose one year. I have worked for myself for the past 14 years doing work that I love, on my own terms. I have some chronic health issues and want to continue my work as long as I can. While I am excited at the prospect of retiring early, my perspective has changed a bit since the health issues showed up.

20 years. It would be a shame to have spent all these years toiling away and saving and get any less than that. I know many wont get that at all but still.

20 healthy years and I will be happy. 3 of my friends didn’t get that.

"How long should your retirement last for you to feel it was worth sacrificing for?"

I never thought about it that way. In my early 30's, working for a megacorp, I set a goal to become financially independent and able to retire by age 55. My thinking was I wanted the option of to leave the workforce and live comfortably if I no longer enjoyed working or was forced to do so due to losing a job or health problems. By age 58 I was working for a small company and was unhappy in my job. I decided to retire and turned in my resignation. The owner of the company begged me to stay to help the firm through some legal issues he had caused by making what I thought were poor decisions. I agreed to stay for six months at which time he asked me to continue. I stayed another six months. One day I woke up, decided I was wasting my life, called him and told him I would not longer come into the office. I have not looked back.

Since leaving the working world, six years ago, my wife and I have enjoyed the home we built over a decade ago, our family, and traveling in the RV we bought a year before I retired. The RV experience has been much better than we anticipated because we've made many new friends on the road. Our life experience is truly richer for it. My only regret is the extra year I worked to help someone who didn't appreciate the loyalty and time I gave him and the company. I didn't need the money, didn't enjoy the work, and wasn't happy. I should have been selfish and left on my own timing.

To me retirement is a new stage in life's journey, not a payoff. I enjoyed most of my working years and received monetary, emotional, and intellectual compensation for the years I worked. Those years are behind me now and I'm much more aware of mortality today than I was during my working years. I'm in my mid 60's and hope to have at least 15 healthy and productive years ahead of me. My current goal is to make them as enjoyable and fulfilling as possible for DW and me.

I have no idea how many "good" years I have ahead of me. Perhaps one, perhaps 2-3 decades. I will be happy with however many years I have. I received a full return on my investment of time during my good working years. I can assure you I'm enjoying every minute today.

One day, I am going to wake up and not feeling to go to my office, I will send my boss an email and tell him/her that I am retired for good and will no longer show up in my office.

The day after I retired in August 2016, I told my DW, "If I die tomorrow, just know I died a happy man." And although I didn't NEED to be retired to die happy, it certainly helps!

I still feel that way today (and voted that way) but I DO notice that the longer I'm retired, the greedier I become. I want more time to see the grandkids grow up, more time to travel with my DW, more time to golf, more time to wake up on a lousy, raw and rainy Monday morning (like this morning) and have an extra cup of coffee, just relax and be thankful and grateful!!

At least half as long as I worked, but I'm shooting for as long.

Retiring (in a few years) in my 50s, I chose 30. It's not so much that I feel I am "owed" that time because of what I've worked, but more I hope I get that time to enjoy the life and opportunity that I have struggled through the years to create. Like a finely written symphony, I want to be certain I hear the last note and get the applause. :)

I'm still pretty amused every time I see this thread pop up. I have this image of some of you meeting your maker and angrily yelling "Hey! You cheated me!"

I retired in 2001, after a 20-year career in the US Navy. I have now been retired for 18 years. I will soon approach the day when I will have been on pension equally as long as I worked for it.

That is awesome. My goal is to collect more in retirement than I earned in 21 years on active duty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom