Poll: Who is selling today’s (March 2nd) “dead cat bounce “

Who is “selling” Mondays “dead cat bounce “? Please comment “why” and what below!

• I am selling equities on Mondays dead cat stock market bounce

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • I am buying equities on Mondays dead cat stock market bounce

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • I am staying the course

Votes: 74 80.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not to poke everyone, but today's rally at +666 even as we speak may be the last gasp for a few months.... Bueller, Bueller .....? BTW, 666 is the sign of "you know who"....

Staying the course. I just re-balanced.

Same here. I did a small rebalance (2%) in my tIRA from bonds to stocks. The last time I rebalanced in this direction was back in 2015.

Holding today. Have some cash from YTD divs and will add shares if SPY falls 20% from the recent high mark.

Not to poke everyone, but today's rally at +666 even as we speak may be the last gasp for a few months.... Bueller, Bueller .....? BTW, 666 is the sign of "you know who"....

I remember when GSPC fell to 666 during the subprime mortgage event. Been pretty strong since that low.

So at market close, only 8% of poll takers took a bit off the table. 5% bought more and most everyone 86% stayed the course (72 Sample size).

I am a bit surprised there were not more takers who regretted not rebalancing before last week or tweaking their AA a bit with the risk of a market downturn being higher now. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?

....time will tell.

Can't vote, because I both sold and bought some option contracts today.

Generally, I bought back some outstanding options that looked hopeless and cheaper than when I sold.

And I sold some options that were also out-of-the-money, but at strike prices not so outrageous because I did not think the market would soar back to where it was recently, in just a few weeks before the options expire.

The goal is as usual, that is for the options to expire worthless, and for me to still have the shares to sell new options for the next month.

Last edited:
I checked selling because I sold my NVAX at the opening. Bought it last week at 6 and sold at 14 this morning. Just a few K in my play account. Other than that I am standing pat.

So at market close, only 8% of poll takers took a bit off the table. 5% bought more and most everyone 86% stayed the course (72 Sample size).

I am a bit surprised there were not more takers who regretted not rebalancing before last week or tweaking their AA a bit with the risk of a market downturn being higher now. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day, right?

....time will tell.

We're living off of 2/3 of our income, which is all pension/ss - the rest is put into equities. So our AA is 100% equities basically. Nothing to rebalance, nothing to regret.

I voted "buy" before fully reading the instructions. We did some buying today but it was a scheduled purchase unrelated to the current gyrations.

I did reallocate from bonds to stocks last Wednesday and Friday. Waiting to see what happens before doing any more, so essentially standing pat.

I'm staying the course :popcorn: .

The same rationale as no sense is tornado chasing when stormy weather hits.

What if your current path leads to a tornado in front of you? Stay the course?

Just teasing. :)

What if your current path leads to a tornado in front of you? Stay the course?

Just teasing. :)

I'd have other things to worry about than my finances :).

I've been staying the course and just re-balancing a bit from my least-affected holdings to my most-affected holdings. Should give me some minor gains in the long run.

I did some tax loss harvesting to offset the additional Roth conversion I also did yesterday. This freed up more cash for future opportunities. At the beginning of the year I was 70/30 tax deferred/tax free and as of this morning I'm 60/40 @ 9% fed rate which I'm good with.

I bought short term notes yesterday and have bids in for several more today. I expect my money market fund yields will plummet over the next two weeks and need to move quickly to replace my money market holdings.

I plan to hold off rebalancing until April. I don’t see the market surging to its previous highs any time soon and the risk of another 10-20% decline is imho quite real.
If we don’t have widespread transmission in the USA and Europe is not shut down I think it will be realistic to get back in fully and I am confident it won’t be any higher than prices in mid February.

I think the value “right now” is more in specific companies than the market as a whole.

staying the course, because I don't know if it's a "dead cat bounce", or "an angry cat who was taking a nap and is now going to scratch someone's eyes out"...
Now, if I just only knew.....

Back
Top Bottom