Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Audio/podcasts/radio

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Physical books/magazines/newspapers

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Internet other/apps

Votes: 32 43.8%

• Total voters
Internet, I really don't watch much TV anymore. If I do watch TV, it would be for live sports, but those are gone, for now.

I like reading paper magazines, but those are vanishing also.

I’m glad to see physical books on the decline from an environmental perspective, even though I used to buy and read them, we used to browse B&N regularly. We still check some books out from the library, but we’ll probably never buy a physical book again. While I understand the appeal of physical books, eBooks are so much more resource efficient, accessible and lower cost for all concerned. Same with newspapers and magazines, unnecessarily bad for the environment. We’ve adapted to ereaders even if they’re not as tactile etc. My Dad would have strongly disagreed, he had walls of cherished books until he died. YMMV

Last edited:
We consume media via our iPads but we like to relax and watch streaming TV. Plus the iPad is largely anti-social so we do evenings together. My time on this forum is seldom shared with DW. And there are two financial forums that I visit daily. Plus there are several special interest groups on FB that I check in on daily.

Often emails have links to movies and articles (we are retired). Once in a while I pick up a free hard cover novel for a change. Sundays are our busiest TV days, starting with Willie Geist, the CBS Sunday Morning, Margaret Brennan or MTP, then 60 Minutes. I get my fill with those.

We sometimes stumble upon a Netflix series that we enjoy and mourn when they are done.

I’m glad to see physical books on the decline from an environmental perspective, even though I used to buy and read them, we used to browse B&N regularly. We still check some books out from the library, but we’ll probably never buy a physical book again. While I understand the appeal of physical books, eBooks are so much more resource efficient, accessible and lower cost for all concerned. Same with newspapers and magazines, unnecessarily bad for the environment. We’ve adapted to ereaders even if they’re not as tactile etc. My Dad would have strongly disagreed, he had walls of cherished books until he died. YMMV

I prefer ebooks for subjects I'll probably only read once and never look at again. They don't take up space, the ereader is lighter, and I can download a book instantly without having to go to the library or wait for a delivery.

That said, I still prefer physical books for reference material. For instance, I still have about 20 books on construction, woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc. I may grab two or three of these at once and have them open at the same time if I'm preparing to work on a project. Even though I already know most of the subject matter, it's nice to get a little refresher before starting work.

Of course, these days I'm probably more likely to look for a youtube video when I want to do something new. :)

I prefer ebooks for subjects I'll probably only read once and never look at again. They don't take up space, the ereader is lighter, and I can download a book instantly without having to go to the library or wait for a delivery.

That said, I still prefer physical books for reference material. For instance, I still have about 20 books on construction, woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc. I may grab two or three of these at once and have them open at the same time if I'm preparing to work on a project. Even though I already know most of the subject matter, it's nice to get a little refresher before starting work.

Of course, these days I'm probably more likely to look for a youtube video when I want to do something new. :)

One area where I've found online reference works especially helpful is in auto repair. I recently downloaded a copy of a Dodge Sprinter factory repair manual. ... I don't want to think how much a dead-tree version would cost. I've got a digital electrical troubleshooting manual for another vehicle that has a working search function, which is a powerful feature. On paper, I'd be thumbing through 800-some pages to find different references to components I'm investigating. Cmd+F makes it a breeze.

I also use Wikipedia all the time and send it a cash donation from time to time. It's probably the best thing on the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom