Portable retirement home

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't thiink I could put this together by myself!

EBS block (TM) - Expandable Building System block.
Have you ever dreamed of living in a home that can be folded up or expanded with only a few simple operations? If yes, our EBS block can make your dream come true.

Looks good, but it's not for people who like to throw stones. :)

Interesting concept but I see some minor flaws in it.
- Not quite as portable as you'd think - since you still have to put in piers (at least that's what it looked like in the youtube video).
- People in glass houses and all that - not much privacy.
- So lets say you add curtains... and furniture... etc... now you're a lot less portable because that stuff has mass/bulk.
- You'd need connections for water/sewer/electric.

In other words - it's a manufactured house (trailer?) that folds up, but has all the same issues of needing to site prep, get utilities, etc.

That said - it's a neat concept.

Ah. A transformer shipping container home with multiple fold out, up, and down walls. Cool origami drawing, but no insulation, and wiring and plumbing seems problematic. Also the whole dodging the falling palm tree and landscaping thing...

Well shut my mouth: here's the concept in production, or something designed government style as the RDSS:
A cool $225,000:
http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/38990/print

Last edited:
They did not land it in a place where polar bears live. But I can see it might be easier to get into mountain properties than the typical doublewide trailer.

First one is just a graphics presentation. I really discount such things. Art ain't reality!

The second one shows a much more limited expansion and it cost $225K!

Back
Top Bottom