Possible AIDS cure.........

It will be fantastic if it will be shown to have worked on more than just this one patient (and lasts over many years). Nice to hear something positive and that gives hope!

I doubt this is anything more than a fluke.

Not so fast, unfortunately. Bone marrow transplant is one of the most complex and dangerous procedures you can go through. It requires ongoing immunosuppression; sometimes the grafted marrow or cells tip the tables and attack the patient's own tissues, and it has a considerable mortality and morbidity. Doubt it will ever become a mainstream AIDs treatment until there are break-through advances in rejection management.

Perhaps this is a "fluke", but I think that the "race" for the cure will have many researchers willing to test more patients to classify this case as a mere fluke or not. Now if this turns out to work, we will be talking about a CURE....I mean we hear of "treatments" to control and manage many chronic diseases, but we don't hear much about "CURES". I sincerely doubt that scientists will allow the challenges that Rich from Tampa addresses about about bone marrow transplants to keep them from pressing on. My personal feelings are that if they do find it to be a potential cure that perhaps they can keep it for the more challenging cases such as those that don't respond well to the cocktail medicines currently in use.

I grew up in the 80's and it seemed that a cure for cancer was always just on the verge of happening.

But here we are 25 years later and basically the same treatments are used.

I always thought the human race is sooooo stupid when you really think about it.

We probably have the intelligence and resources to cure a lot of diseases but so much effort is spent on making cars that talk to you and cell phones and wars and playing with the space shuttle.

You would think that health would be the most important by a landslide...but I guess not.

Jim

Not so fast, unfortunately. Bone marrow transplant is one of the most complex and dangerous procedures you can go through. It requires ongoing immunosuppression; sometimes the grafted marrow or cells tip the tables and attack the patient's own tissues, and it has a considerable mortality and morbidity. Doubt it will ever become a mainstream AIDs treatment until there are break-through advances in rejection management.

I've always wondered about bone marrow transplants since a co-w*rker (former) had an 'auto transplant' for leukemia (where they harvest, select & re-inject his own cells after destroying those in his body). His failed. For others, is life thereafter like that of a kidney or heart transplant patient?

Thanks

I've always wondered about bone marrow transplants since a co-w*rker (former) had an 'auto transplant' for leukemia (where they harvest, select & re-inject his own cells after destroying those in his body). His failed. For others, is life thereafter like that of a kidney or heart transplant patient?
Here is an interesting site for general knowledge. It has some similarities to solid organ transplant care, but in many ways BMT is very different. It's a very complicated procedure, and life afterwards can mean chronic medications, recurrence of the original disease, and all the diseases associated with immune suppression. Still, many patients do quite well, and it is almost always done only in conditions which would otherwise likely be fatal.

It's place in AIDS treatment seems to me to be very speculative and even unlikely other than the odd case here and there. OTOH, breakthrough discoveries can change things drastically. Let's hope.

I wish we'd spend more efforts on prevention and education about HIV.

While I want (as do all) a cure for those already afflicted with HIV/AIDS, we could save so many more lives by making comprehensive HIV education routine. One bone marrow transplant could buy thousands of condoms, and think about how many lives that could save?

I'm not suggesting that those with HIV should have their needs ignored, just that (as with so many diseases) the money we spend on prevention can pay for itself many times over.

I wish we'd spend more efforts on prevention and education about HIV.

We've seen how well that works with smoking. There are still tons of smokers, and the warning has been on the cigarette pack since I was a kid.

I'm not saying we shouldn't educate, or that it doesn't help (it did with smoking over time). I think there is already plenty of education out there on HIV. I'd be surprised if there is anyone old enough to have sex that isn't aware of the need to use condoms. But there are always going to be idjits who, no matter how aware they are of the dangers, refuse to use condoms. I think continuing to search for a cure is immensely important, because unlike smoking, HIV can be given to someone else. And the idjits who don't use prevention are also the same types that don't get tested. And in many cases, even if they become aware they are infected they don't notify their partners.

We've seen how well that works with smoking. There are still tons of smokers, and the warning has been on the cigarette pack since I was a kid.

I'm not saying we shouldn't educate, or that it doesn't help (it did with smoking over time). I think there is already plenty of education out there on HIV. I'd be surprised if there is anyone old enough to have sex that isn't aware of the need to use condoms. But there are always going to be idjits who, no matter how aware they are of the dangers, refuse to use condoms. I think continuing to search for a cure is immensely important, because unlike smoking, HIV can be given to someone else. And the idjits who don't use prevention are also the same types that don't get tested. And in many cases, even if they become aware they are infected they don't notify their partners.

You forgot to mention 'abstinence only' education, which either doesn't mention prevention or lies about it.

You forgot to mention 'abstinence only' education, which either doesn't mention prevention or lies about it.

Well, thanks to 'abstinence only' education in the Catholic school system, I was a grandfather at age 50. :angel: I love the little darlin' dearly, but it would have been nice if she'd waited a few more years.

Harley, you're right that personal responsibility (specifically with regards to safer sex) is important, but I disagree with almost all of your other points.

1. Smoking rates are down significantly in the US. They've dropped by 1/2 since the mid 1960's and now are below 20%. U.S. smoking rate is under 20 percent for first time | Health | Reuters. This is evidence that long-term educational efforts and social marketing can effect change in a population's habits.

2. Keep in mind that smoking is a heavily advertised habit. There are few ads out there trying to get people hooked on HIV.

3. As far as plenty of education out there on HIV, I was thinking globally. A huge number of new HIV cases are in Africa and Asia, and that's even with China suppressing its numbers. Thanks to schizophrenic educational programs, lots of young people can tell you that condoms help prevent the spread of HIV, but they aren't given help in dealing with their sexuality. These issues also don't address unequal power in relationships (in which a partner, usually a man, refuses to wear condoms and refuses to take no for an answer) and issues of income (for us a 50-cent condom may be no problem, but if you live on less than $1 a day it's impossible to buy them).

4. I think you can catch smoking from someone else. That's probably how most smokers start -- getting a cig from a friend or family member. How many non-smokers do you know who just "decide" to start smoking?

5. Very few people at all get tested for HIV. For example, I was tested during both of my pregnancies. I went into the testing already knowing my HIV status, and my OB was really surprised that I knew. He said that few women come to his clinic knowing their HIV status. So to say that people who don't get tested are idiots -- well, lots of people don't get tested and they're not all idiots. Issues of insurance and testing availability/cost are probably present, too.

We both clearly agree that HIV is a huge problem, and I don't doubt your (or my) good intentions and compassion for those afflicted. I'm saying, though, that when it comes to effective use of limited resources, effective prevention campaigns DO work (even against things as addictive as smoking) and will win my vote every time.

4. I think you can catch smoking from someone else. That's probably how most smokers start -- getting a cig from a friend or family member. How many non-smokers do you know who just "decide" to start smoking?

we all do. i remember my very first drag off a cigarette. i remember consciously making the stupid decision to smoke. two years earlier we had moved from one part of town to another, just blocks away but for two years the move put me into a different school. the schools recombined in junior high. during that time, my friends from pre-k had formed new cliques. social by nature, i now had to refit into my old gang, most of whom had taken up smoking. and that would be how i would disguise my way back into the group of my old friends. i would be like them.

there was nothing unconscious about it. nothing influenced by others. no one gave me a cigarette. i simply made a decision. of course, a better decision was when i stopped smoking. but i never fooled myself into thinking that i was not responsible for my own actions. and i don't believe that anyone else does either. denies maybe, refuses responsibility for one's own life maybe, but fact is, we all make our own choices in life.

anyway, walking through town tonight, considering another thread on how has your neighborhood fared since the bubble burst, i came across this bit of neon in our little nightclub/bar/cafe area. testing? why, around here, you can hardly even buy a shabby chic 2nd hand blouse or barker lounger without one.

img_748899_0_54e7531879cc72a487ef7a9365a32c5e.jpg

The USA or the world could not possibly pay for bone marrow transplants to cure all the AIDS patients.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom