Post Hurricane info on Charleston SC needed.

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The first two stops on my October road trip to the South were going to be Savannah, GA and Charleston SC.

It seems that Savannah survived the hurricane in good shape from what I have heard.

Charleston remains a bit of a mystery to me. It did not get beat up as badly as places up North, but I still don't know if it will be worth visiting. There is no point in going there if many places are closed and being repaired.

If you have news of Charleston, I would appreciate hearing it.

Other than that, we have decided to avoid the North Caroline coast, Most of south Carolina north of Charleston, and instead Go West. Ashville is still on the list, along with Tennessee and Virginia. And it looks like we might add Kentucky, a favorite of mine since I spent a weekend there 30 years ago. Or maybe just spend more time in Tennessee.

Try calling the Red Cross in Charleston. They get a lot of calls like this and should have some answers for you.

Last year, I was entertaining the idea of going to the Gulf to have some seafood, particularly fresh wild-caught shrimp when Hurricane Harvey hit. Bummer.

Why would you waste their time calling for travel information? I'm sure they have more important things to focus on.
+1, definitely.

Find the online sites for the local TV stations and newspaper. If you had a hotel booked, call them and ask. See what the city government page has to say.

Why would you waste their time calling for travel information? I'm sure they have more important things to focus on.
Actually, this kind of support is one of the things that Red Cross does. I am a Red Cross Disaster Services volunteer and a few days ago there was a call for people to man the phones at our local office, far from the disaster, because they expected to get a flood of calls seeking information. Volunteers were to be provided with scripts, information, and places to refer callers for additional help.

Actually, this kind of support is one of the things that Red Cross does. I am a Red Cross Disaster Services volunteer and a few days ago there was a call for people to man the phones at our local office, far from the disaster, because they expected to get a flood of calls seeking information. Volunteers were to be provided with scripts, information, and places to refer callers for additional help.
I'll take your word because of your experience, but I'd think if there's a flood of calls it should be left available for the residents to try to get their lives back on track, and not tie up the volunteers letting tourists know where they can still make dinner reservations and such.

I'll take your word because of your experience, but I'd think if there's a flood of calls it should be left available for the residents to try to get their lives back on track, and not tie up the volunteers letting tourists know where they can still make dinner reservations and such.
Well (1) ARC doesn't get to choose who calls or why. (2) I believe the majority of calls are inquiries about matters like relatives the caller cannot reach, conditions in specific areas, etc. A brief call from the OP asking about general conditions would not, I think, be considered an imposition. A request for dinner reservations might. :LOL:

Well (1) ARC doesn't get to choose who calls or why. (2) I believe the majority of calls are inquiries about matters like relatives the caller cannot reach, conditions in specific areas, etc. A brief call from the OP asking about general conditions would not, I think, be considered an imposition. A request for dinner reservations might. :LOL:

Sorry, but no. This is the mission of the American Red Cross: "The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.​"

A "brief call...asking about general conditions" relative to tourism simply doesn't fit. As a volunteer, you should know better than to encourage people to place this type of burden on the ARC.

The appropriate place for this inquiry? https://www.charlestoncvb.com/

Charleston looks to be fine https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...harleston-minimal-impact-forecast/1311141002/

Although 95 is still closed in NC, so depending where you are it will still be a pain getting there for a few days. I would probably check on the western mountains. Steep slopes and 10 inches of rain does not mix well. I know the storm went further west, but not sure how bad.

I am currently in the NC mountains (Linville) and we had no damage from the storm. The Blue Ridge Parkway was closed a few days but now is back fully open. I have talked to friends in Asheville, no problems there.

So come on up to western North Carolina, with the leaves starting to change it will be beautiful. Check out Altapsss Orchard in the Blue Ridge Parkway near Spruce Pine where I spend alot of my weekends. Very nice apple orchard and music venue. On Saturday and Sunday afternoons, live music (free, mainly blue grass), clogging and flatfooting lessons, hayrides, hiking, etc.

Sorry, but no. This is the mission of the American Red Cross: "The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.​"

A "brief call...asking about general conditions" relative to tourism simply doesn't fit. As a volunteer, you should know better than to encourage people to place this type of burden on the ARC.

The appropriate place for this inquiry? https://www.charlestoncvb.com/
Really? Did someone give you some stone tablets that say this? Do you also clog the left lane to keep people from driving faster than your approved speed?

BTW, the cvb's response is highly predictable. They will say what they are paid to say.

Back
Top Bottom