Power rate increase

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our power company was bought by another recently. I had seen a lot of complaints about increases on social media, but I didn't see the increase until I got my next bill. I'm in North Florida.

My latest bill includes a 21.7% increase in the cost of electricity. This is just the electricity cost, not all the government taxes and fees.
That seems very large increase and I'm surprised the PSC allowed it. On the other hand we had a terribly distinctive hurricane in 2018 and I suspect some of the increase is to harden the existing system. The Power Company says, that by 2025 we will have a decrease from what we pay now and their other customers in South Florida (who have a lower cost) will be paying more.
It is a two tiered system 14.226 Cents up to 1000 kWhs and 16.262 Cents for any use over 1000 kWhs.

Just one more reason to over save!

The winter storms of last year is costing us dearly in the electric and NG rates. They just approved a rate-payer backed bond that will mean an increase of $7/ish a month for the next TWENTY SEVEN YEARS!!! Yes, that means that each rate payer is on the hook for about $2,300 for a few days of very cold weather last year. Looking at the regulatory filing...the ACTUAL cost to each rate payer is about $450.

Oh, and I have to laugh at the OP's company that says the rate will DECREASE in 2025. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Last edited:
Ours increased as well. The cost went up roughly $100/month in the winter. I was getting bills in the range of $240-260 in the coldest months but now its $360/month for our bill. It does include gas and electric. They are gonna get theirs up here in MN.

Oh, and I have to laugh at the OP's company that says the rate will DECREASE in 2025. Yeah, that ain't gonna happen.

Oh Ye of little faith,

"Based on the approved rate settlement agreement and FPL's September filing for fuel and other clauses, the standard 1,000-kWh typical monthly residential bill benchmark in Northwest Florida would be:
FPL Northwest Florida Bills – 2021-2025
$129.24
$137.49
$134.44
$130.25
$126.47
"2021" reflects Gulf Power's average bill during the year 2021. "2022-2025" reflects the current projection for the typical 1,000-kWh customer bill in Northwest Florida from 2022-2025, which includes approved base rate adjustments as well as current projections for fuel and other clauses. All bill totals include the state's standard gross receipts tax and regulatory assessment fee, but do not include any local taxes or fees that vary by community. Bills also do not include surcharges for hurricanes. All rates are subject to change.

With a caveat :)

"This news release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995."

This goes on for 1,443 more words about why, what they just said might not be true. :)

My utility company decreased their rates (by a small amount), but they more than made up for it in fee increases, solar users also got a nice 'grid connection' fee added to their bill. Saw my average electric bill go up ~15% even with a rate ($/kwh) decrease, definitely affected low usage users like myself more than heavy users.

Last edited:
My gas company announced a rate increase that would result in an increase in the average bill of $1.72, or 2.8%. So, OK, I get this month's bill and it's 50% above the bill from a year ago ($149 vs. $100) - for slightly less usage. I picked it apart and the base cost for gas had doubled and the delivery fee had stayed the same for the first X units but then doubled over that, with X being a pretty small value.

I get that energy prices have gone through the roof and it's even worse in Europe- but their measly estimate of the impact was a bald-faced lie.

I look at our bill and at first I'd swear our rate is zero - except for all the extra charges. When it gets all finished, I think we paid of $.38/kwh this past month. We keep using less and paying the same. How is that possible? Oh yeah, now I remember. It's the cost of Paradise. YMMV

Gas is 50% higher this winter here. Gas company says because of feds new regulations and calls for less production and exploration etc etc...

I’m so glad I locked in my gas rate for three years a little over a year ago. Pennsylvania allows shopping around for gas and electric suppliers. It’s paying off this year!

Gas is 50% higher this winter here. Gas company says because of feds new regulations and calls for less production and exploration etc etc...

I feel your pain! I still recall moving into my first house in the early '70s. The furnace used propane for heat. The cost was $0.17/gallon when we moved in. During the first and second oil shocks, our cost went to $1.20/gallon. Not a fun time to be heating a house. I still recall watching TV through clouds of condensed breath! It was then I began using wood to heat the house as much as possible. YMMV

I’m so glad I locked in my gas rate for three years a little over a year ago. Pennsylvania allows shopping around for gas and electric suppliers. It’s paying off this year!

Georgia pulled this off a number of years ago..."deregulation" they called it. Open the market to competitors they said. All it really did was increase the bill since you still had to pay a "pass through" charge to the utility that owned the distribution system in addition to the "gas" you bought. So, all they REALLY did was add in a middle man (a marketer) to take their cut (and add in a little juicing fee, of course) of the pie. :blush:

Georgia pulled this off a number of years ago..."deregulation" they called it. Open the market to competitors they said. All it really did was increase the bill since you still had to pay a "pass through" charge to the utility that owned the distribution system in addition to the "gas" you bought. So, all they REALLY did was add in a middle man (a marketer) to take their cut (and add in a little juicing fee, of course) of the pie. :blush:

We still have to pay some fees to the local utilities that are responsible for delivery, but we can choose suppliers. Overall it’s worked well for us. We’ve been in the same house for 21 years and our electric/gas bills are lower than ever.

We're very thankful to have TVA power at around 10.5 cents per KWH. Our rates have been pretty stable in spite of Washington making TVA shuttle their coal fired steam plants one by one. TVA is Federally owned. Thankfully we still have 3 nuclear plants.

Heating is mostly with electric heat pumps supplemented by LP powered fireplaces.
Most seasons are moderate use electricity months. We usually have a month or two in summer with high electricity/cooling bills and maybe one month in winter (this month) of cold temperatures.

Electricity is the same at $.137 but gas has gone up around 55% since last year for the usage rate. The base rate is the same. My bill for last week or Dec and first 3 weeks of Jan was the highest yet in the 6 winters at this house.

Our electric rate went up 1/1/2022. One of the things they've done over the years is change the tier levels. We used to use more, and be solidly in the lowest tier (because we have all led lights, unplug vampires, etc) or very slightly into the middle tier... But they changed the levels so we were more and more in the 2nd tier.

Coincidentally, we had solar panels installed today. Should be inspected and turned on w/in two weeks. Looking forward to not caring about electric rates.

In the past 9 months NV energy has raised prices 3 times.

I have no problem paying my electric bill, and to be honest, it causes me absolutely no angst. :rolleyes:

You all know I don't spend my money on international (or local) travel, fancy cars, boats, planes, RVs, motorcycles, designer clothes, parties, booze, etc. Won't DO it. As a result, paying my electric bill is not a hardship for me and I am happy to oblige.

For me, being comfortable is a high priority, and that includes temperature control and good lighting in my home. THAT's where I want to spend my money. Also good food is right up there in my priorities.

I have no problem paying my electric bill, and to be honest, it causes me absolutely no angst. :rolleyes:

You all know I don't spend my money on international (or local) travel, fancy cars, boats, planes, RVs, motorcycles, designer clothes, parties, booze, etc. Won't DO it. As a result, paying my electric bill is not a hardship for me and I am happy to oblige.

For me, being comfortable is a high priority, and that includes temperature control and good lighting in my home. THAT's where I want to spend my money. Also good food is right up there in my priorities.

Same here. So far. We spent about $200 to $400 extra on natural gas over the summer heating our pool. I was happy to do it. In the northern climate it extended the pool usage and brought many smiles to the family get togethers. I could have spent way more on a couple dinners out with everyone but this was more fun.

Now it's not that I don't care or that increases don't concern me, but so far, I'm willing to pay the extra cost.

And, that comfort thing that W2R mentions - the gas fireplace has burned a little extra lately. It's cold up here and it's one of the simple pleasures me and DW enjoy in the evening.

I just received the bill for Jan 2022. It cost me $86.72 for an average usage of 24 kWh/day. The home is all electric, with a pool.

Back in Jan 2018, it cost me $149 for an average usage of 49 kWh/day.

The difference is attributed to my off-grid solar+battery system. It could do a bit better, if the ground-mounted array were not partially shaded by my own 2nd-story in the winter when the sun was low.

The big pay-off of the solar system comes in July, when it reduces the bill from $350 for a daily consumption of 90 kWh in 2017 to $105 in 2021 for 29 kWh/day.

It will take many years for the solar+battery to pay back, but I am doing this for fun, and to learn something.

Last edited:
Forgot to say, my lowest bill was $34.42 for Nov 2021.

There was no heating nor cooling for that month. The average daily consumption off the grid was 5 kWh/day, as the solar system provided the rest.

I will be adding 6 more panels (320W each), and another 2kW of inverter.

Apparently, not all places have a minimal service charge as they do where I am, or if there is, it must be very low.

At my metropolitan home, the service charge is $20/month. At my high-country boondocks home, the minimum charge is $31/month.

At my city home, the bill of $34.42 for Nov 2021 means only $14.42 for electricity, again thanks to the solar+battery system.

At the boondocks home, when we are not there the lowest bill is $41, and only $10 goes to the electricity for the fridge. The electric rate is $0.08/kWh, and the fridge burns a bit more than 4 kWh/day.

Last edited:
PG&E rates in CA are .28/.36/.44 per KWH. We got solar a year ago and the ROI is just a hair over 4 years.

still under $0.10/kWh here including taxes.

no decent payback for solar unless you are able to incorporate and so then depreciate the system at your 'business.'

Apparently, not all places have a minimal service charge as they do where I am, or if there is, it must be very low.

At my metropolitan home, the service charge is $20/month. At my high-country boondocks home, the minimum charge is $31/month.

At my city home, the bill of $34.42 for Nov 2021 means only $14.42 for electricity, again thanks to the solar+battery system.

At the boondocks home, when we are not there the lowest bill is $41, and only $10 goes to the electricity for the fridge. The electric rate is $0.08/kWh, and the fridge burns a bit more than 4 kWh/day.

I guess I should feel "good" that my only "monthly" charge is $11.50 (whether I use a KWH or not.) Of course, when I divide my total KWH by my total bill (which includes 8 other charges) it comes out to over $0.38/kwh. So maybe I shouldn't feel "good" after all, but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom