Pre-paid SIM card for Europe

Helen

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
According to my search on the word "SIM", it's been just over a year since we had a post on SIM chips for traveling in Europe.

I will be in Italy, France, Austria and Germany for just over two months. I finally upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S9, which is unlocked.

I've emailed an Australian company called Simcorner who sells SIM chips for overseas travelers. They claim their chip will work in my US phone as long as it is unlocked. They get good reviews. It is suppose to work in all the countries I plan to be in.

'Has anyone used this particular chip and did it work well for you? If not, could you recommend another company?

https://www.simcorner.com/us/shop/europe.html

I use my T-mobile account for overseas calling. It also means my US number still works overseas instead of having to deal with a different number.

Before that I bought SIMs locally once I arrived in Europe. And I had to deal with each country, although in one case the SIM worked somewhat in another country.

What phone number do you get assigned? An Australian one? And who is the overseas provider - some Australian cell company that also works in Europe?

It's been 5 years since I looked into these supposed SIMs from other countries for using in Europe, and all the ones I looked into were super kludgey.

I'm sure the SIM works OK in the phone. It's the overseas coverage and assigned phone numbers that I'd be concerned about.

Last edited:
Good point, audreyh1. I forgot to mention that I'm on Verizon due to the great coverage.

Europe no longer charges for roaming, so I would enable roaming on the phone. I'm not sure which network it would use.

The phone number would be a UK based phone number.I don't get many legitimate phone calls, 99% of people who want to reach me do so through text, email or Facebook. I would probably only need to use the phone to call a hotel or other local businesses. It says there is no charge for incoming international calls.

They recommend using a WhatsApp type of application for making calls outside Europe.

I would mostly use this for the internet for GPS and looking for information about the area I am in (restaurants, bike rentals, stores, etc)

Last edited:
Google Fi

Have a look at Google Fi. We've been using Fi since last December when we started a 5 month travel journey that began in New Zealand. Fi has worked flawlessly for us in other places we've visited like Oz, Abu Dhabi, Morocco, France and Italy.

I just enable global roaming on my iPhone on Verizon. I don't make many calls so I just pay by the minute. For data, I use my standard data package (travel pass allows this) but there is a daily charge of $10 per device on days you need data. I generally turn it on when I need to interactively find transportation options and search for stuff on Google Maps and Google -usually in big cities. When I am in more remote areas biking I just use downloaded maps if I need location services and rarely turn data on until I am on a wifi hot spot.

Have a look at Google Fi. We've been using Fi since last December when we started a 5 month travel journey that began in New Zealand. Fi has worked flawlessly for us in other places we've visited like Oz, Abu Dhabi, Morocco, France and Italy.

I looked into Google FI. Right now we are locked into Verizon for two years. We had to agree to monthly payments on our new Galaxy S9 phones to get a $300 Costco gift cards per phone in exchange. The reason we are with Verizon is because it has the best coverage for the west coast. We do a lot of backpacking and hiking so we need good availability.

It looks like Google FI is $20 unlimited talk and text. It's $10 per GB up to 6 GB.

I just enable global roaming on my iPhone on Verizon. I don't make many calls so I just pay by the minute. For data, I use my standard data package (travel pass allows this) but there is a daily charge of $10 per device on days you need data. I generally turn it on when I need to interactively find transportation options and search for stuff on Google Maps and Google -usually in big cities. When I am in more remote areas biking I just use downloaded maps if I need location services and rarely turn data on until I am on a wifi hot spot.

I think this will be our backup plan, but for the amount we would want to use it, it could be pretty expensive.

The Simcorner SIM chip (I posted the a link in the OP) would cover 30 days, so I would buy two of them for $37 each plus shipping. This would give us:

6GB of Data
1000 Minutes within the EU and UK
2000 Texts within EU and UK
Mobile Hotspot/Tethering allowed

We spent last month in Palm Springs and used just over 5 gb of data for both of us. We both surfed the net a bit by the pool and used it when we were out and about, so I think 6gb would be plenty.

WE recently traveled to Italy. First stop was Rome and I stopped in a Tim cellular store. Bought a sim card for about $20 which gave us plenty of minutes and data. Worked well for us.

I think this will be our backup plan, but for the amount we would want to use it, it could be pretty expensive.

The Simcorner SIM chip (I posted the a link in the OP) would cover 30 days, so I would buy two of them for $37 each plus shipping. This would give us:

6GB of Data
1000 Minutes within the EU and UK
2000 Texts within EU and UK
Mobile Hotspot/Tethering allowed

We spent last month in Palm Springs and used just over 5 gb of data for both of us. We both surfed the net a bit by the pool and used it when we were out and about, so I think 6gb would be plenty.

If you're only surfing, 6 GB would be enough.

If you stream video, then it might not be enough.

Last year, the best deal I got was a prepaid SIM for Telecom Italia in Italy, 20 Euros for 30 GB of data.

The networks in Italy are faster than Wifi at hotels so I often try to get as much data as possible just in case the hotel wifi is poor.

Also paid like 2.50 Swiss Francs a day for unlimited data in Switzerland. Again, usually the data was faster for the mobile network than the hotels.

I would buy a SIM once you get to Europe instead, since roaming is free in the EU now, you can buy it in whichever country you get to first, and it will work for your whole trip.

I found this website that shows you the options in the various countries, have a look and see if anything works better than the Simcorner.

https://www.finder.com/ca/best-prepaid-sim-card-italy

Yup, I buy in county, though sometimes a hassle to wait in shops. Most of the time they speak English though.

You may have to take your passport, which they will copy.

It's actually a governmental requirement.

First time I went to Rome in 2005, hotel wifi wasn't common.

So I went to a cyber cafe to get online and they required passport for anti-terrorism reasons.

Even if you check into a hotel now that offers Wifi, they copy your passport for this reason.

Just called T-Mobile yesterday about our first trip to Europe. Just turn on roaming and we have unlimited texting and data. Voice will be 25 cents per minute. We will be visiting UK, France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands. No extra charges. Coverage is great they said.

We will also use our tablet for any personal business we might have to do while we are gone.

Just called T-Mobile yesterday about our first trip to Europe. Just turn on roaming and we have unlimited texting and data. Voice will be 25 cents per minute. We will be visiting UK, France, Belgium, Ireland and the Netherlands. No extra charges. Coverage is great they said.

We will also use our tablet for any personal business we might have to do while we are gone.

I have T-Mobile. The free data is very slow. You won't stream video with it but you can download some email slowly and load websites very slowly.

Unless you need lot of speed away from the hotel, where there should be Wifi.

That is why I still buy prepaid SIM cards

Were happy with the T-mobile data speeds while we are out and about for email, quick web searches, map functions including loading map data. We use hotel WiFi if we need a large download.

One key thing to know - if you use WiFi calling overseas, calls to and from the US are free - there is no per minute charge. Very handy.

You can pay for temporary high speed data passes if you really want high speed data.

Helen,

I think multi-country 6GB for $27 is good. I'd ask if that will get me on "good towers", because there's some really slow cell connections, and on the same hilltop, really fast ones. And also how the coverage would compare to if you had the most popular SIM for each country. Although from the skim I did of the thread, you don't need to stick with just one carrier (roaming is "free"? .. I need to see how that really works some day, but it's got to have quirks).

The good thing about buying from simcorner or someplace like that is that you have someone to call if you can't figure something out. I usually go with a cheap SIM from the airport I land at. Universally, the text messages are in whatever language the country speaks, and so a pain to understand. Then if you want to check your balance or something very basic, it's a RPITA because of the language difference. It seems like if you buy in the UK all that would be in English.

If you go that route, please follow-up after you use it and let us know how it went, ok?

When we had unlocked verizon phones, we just bought a SIM card after we checked into the hotel. Do research for which companies have the best reception in the areas you're going to and see if there is a company store near by.

The first time, I bought the SIM from a convenience store & had a tough time getting it to work because I didn't understand Swedish. After that, I've learned to ask for help at the store & leave only after I know its working. Easier to do this at a cell phone store than a convenience store. We've used SIMs in Finland, Sweden and the UK.

The no roaming charges is good news. I just bought SIM cardsin each country.

Now we have t-mobile.

Helen,

I think multi-country 6GB for $27 is good. I'd ask if that will get me on "good towers", because there's some really slow cell connections, and on the same hilltop, really fast ones. And also how the coverage would compare to if you had the most popular SIM for each country. Although from the skim I did of the thread, you don't need to stick with just one carrier (roaming is "free"? .. I need to see how that really works some day, but it's got to have quirks).

The good thing about buying from simcorner or someplace like that is that you have someone to call if you can't figure something out. I usually go with a cheap SIM from the airport I land at. Universally, the text messages are in whatever language the country speaks, and so a pain to understand. Then if you want to check your balance or something very basic, it's a RPITA because of the language difference. It seems like if you buy in the UK all that would be in English.

If you go that route, please follow-up after you use it and let us know how it went, ok?

The customer support for pre-sales has been fantastic, even over the weekend via email. So, I think I will order two of the 30 day SIM cards. She told me if they didn't work I could send them back for a refund once I return. In case that happens I can either buy locally or go with Verizon on a day by day basis.

I will post back here once we return in July to let everyone know if this SIM is as good as the reviews say they are.

Thank you to all who have responded.

I just got back from Europe (I was there for the whole month of April). For phone usage, I used both T-mobile iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S5 with Simcorner (ordered the 12gb sim before the trip from Australia).

The simcorner gave me an UK number, it it works great calling and texting many European countries (it does not call or text US number at all, for that I used whatsapp or simply use the Tmobile Iphone).

Data speed is fast enough for Uber, google maps, email, facebook messenger, searching for restaurants review etc... it is definitely faster than Tmobile unlimited data at 2G speed. Sometimes, I used the Samsung simcorner as a hotspot for the iPhone, since my iPhone XR is much faster with better gps for google maps.

For GPS, I used both rental car GPS and google maps on iPhone, I found out google maps is better (given that your phone has data or pre-load offline maps)

12gb lasted me for the whole month, however, I did not upload photos or sent too many photos via text messaging (for that I used hotels or airbnb's wifi)

If you have an unlock phone then simcorner is a no brainier, for $30 + shipping you can get the 12gb version. Just be aware that you can't call and text US number at all (use skype, whatsapp for that). I am sure that you could get something similar cheaper at the airport over there, but it could be a hassle for first timer :)

I just got back from Europe (I was there for the whole month of April). For phone usage, I used both T-mobile iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S5 with Simcorner (ordered the 12gb sim before the trip from Australia).

The simcorner gave me an UK number, it it works great calling and texting many European countries (it does not call or text US number at all, for that I used whatsapp or simply use the Tmobile Iphone).

Data speed is fast enough for Uber, google maps, email, facebook messenger, searching for restaurants review etc... it is definitely faster than Tmobile unlimited data at 2G speed. Sometimes, I used the Samsung simcorner as a hotspot for the iPhone, since my iPhone XR is much faster with better gps for google maps.

For GPS, I used both rental car GPS and google maps on iPhone, I found out google maps is better (given that your phone has data or pre-load offline maps)

12gb lasted me for the whole month, however, I did not upload photos or sent too many photos via text messaging (for that I used hotels or airbnb's wifi)

If you have an unlock phone then simcorner is a no brainier, for $30 + shipping you can get the 12gb version. Just be aware that you can't call and text US number at all (use skype, whatsapp for that). I am sure that you could get something similar cheaper at the airport over there, but it could be a hassle for first timer :)

Where were you in Europe? I have a few more days in Italy and my Simcorner chip is not working. It worked for about 10 minutes then stopped working. I eventually selected '2G only' and could get it to connect but it was too slow to use.

If it doesn't work in France I will buy a new chip. I should have bought one already, I was being cheap.

Too bad. It really stinks when you get somewhere and your phone is not working.

Currently in Italy now. Paid 30 Euros to activate and use TIM International package with 30 GB of data.

For calls and texts, I use Viber. I bought a $5 credit last year and have almost $4 left. It cost me 2 cents a minute to call back to the US to sort out a rental car issue.

I did text an Italian number and it should be free for T-Mobile One accounts. We will see.

But a lot of the B&Bs I'm staying in, the people have WhatsApp so I use a little bit of the data from my iPad, which is a hotspot for my iPhone.

Free calls and texts, other than the data I pay for. But honestly, I'm convinced the T-Mobile free roaming international data would be good enough for some VOIP calls and messages on WhatsApp.

About 10-15 years ago, Skype was common in Europe, though people weren't using smart phones and data as much.

Now, WhatsApp seems to have taken over for mobile to mobile calls by data and Viber for calls to regular mobile and landline numbers.

Usually people have both since the apps. are free.

Sometimes I think about getting a SIM with phone calls and texts included but see no reason to.

Currently in Italy now. Paid 30 Euros to activate and use TIM International package with 30 GB of data.

Does that have a time limit on it? The Simcorner card I bought had a 30 day limit. Does TIM work all over Europe?

Where in Italy are you? We are currently in Lucca after visiting Rome, Siena, San Gimignano (day trip) and Florence. Wow, every place has been amazing. France is next then 3 nights in Switzerland, then Austria then Germany then NYC via a cruise from Hamburg. We get home July 4th.

Where were you in Europe? I have a few more days in Italy and my Simcorner chip is not working. It worked for about 10 minutes then stopped working. I eventually selected '2G only' and could get it to connect but it was too slow to use.

If it doesn't work in France I will buy a new chip. I should have bought one already, I was being cheap.

I was all over Europe - Germany, Czech, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Belgium, Netherlands. I do notice that in the rural Italy and France, it seems hit and miss, but when we get closer to the urban areas, it works just fine. It works great everywhere in Germany, Belgium, Netherlands. I spent a bulk of my time in Germany.

I did download load offline maps on the phone ahead of time, so it helps in the area that I don't have coverage.

Back
Top Bottom