Prepping for Long Distance Move

PackRat

We used and highly recommend PackRat. They are like Pods, which were not available in our area. They drop a trailer sized box, you pack it up and lock it, they pick it up, drop it at your place, you unpack it, and they pick it up. Reasonable price, great service.

CT to FL — in the middle

I’m in the middle of my move right now.

Doing 1 PackRat 16’, 1 U-Box. Also shipping an SUV on a car-hauler and he lets packing up to the windows. So all fragile items are going in the shipped car.
Had College-Hunks move heavy furniture into PackRat. Then 100 boxes into remainder of PackRat and U-Box. This is not a full house move, only partial.

Upack.com for moving

U-haul website to locate loaders and unloaders with reviews.

We did this 12 years ago and worked out great.

Amtrak Auto train from Lorton VA, to Sanford,FL right near Orlando is an option. It will save you about 12 hours driving. Leaves VA at 4p.m. And arrives in FL at 9am. I've taken the auto train. The seating is as big and roomier than flying first class. Dinner and breakfast included in the price.The auto train takes big SUVs so check to see if they take a commercial van.

+1, but get a roomette - with the pandemic its nice to have your own little cabin to isolate yourself from the rest of the passengers

Upack.com for moving

U-haul website to locate loaders and unloaders with reviews.

We did this 12 years ago and worked out great.

THIS!!! It's amazing. Make sure you have all your stuff packed and schedule the loaders in advance. The day comes, you go get the truck, the loaders show up and load everything. Drive to your destination, the unloaders show up and move everything in your new place! Fuel up, return the truck and start unpacking!

I read a statistic somewhere, sometime that was something like - Storage rentals are initially rented with 1-2 years in mind and end up going for 8-10 and the value of the items stored is never even close to the cost of the rent. I myself did exactly this but luckily my former company was paying for it. At the end of it, I could barely remember what was in there, haha!

Back
Top Bottom