Prescription copay vs Direct payment

I agree that drug companies should make a profit on the drugs they develop. That is why the US gives the companies a 20 year patent. But after that patent runs out there should be generics. I just don't understand why Abbvie, the manufacturer of Humira has been able to stop generics. The Humira patent ran out in 2018 and since then Abbvie has continued to be successful in stopping Humira generics. It is a racket.

Another trick that they do is give it a minor tweak and get a new patent, then market it as much better than the old version.

There are only two countries in the world where direct to consumer prescription drug advertising is legal: The USA and New Zealand. How much would we all save if the companies weren't allowed to advertise?

I picked up two prescriptions at Costco today. In both cases the pharmacist told me it was cheaper to pay the Costco direct price than the copay on my insurance. This has happened to me several times now. Which leads me to wonder what the purpose of my prescription insurance is.

Both of my prescriptions were generic, which likely had something to do with it. Is prescription insurance now only for exotic prescriptions that can’t be purchased generically?

Always check GoodRX, too. I don't take any meds but if my kitty needs any meds, I get them at Costco pharmacy (she has her own profile) and typically use GoodRX. Picked up a prescription for my neighbor's pup and used GoodRX to reduce the price.

Generic drug pricing is a scam. Safeway and Meijer have offered us lower prices w/o asking. Walgreen will just go with the higher insurance price unless you are proactive. Not sure if that is corporate of just a local policy. As I understand it, the insurance company isn't paying for most generic drugs they are just getting you a discount.

I just checked my cat's thyroid meds at goodrx.
Vet cost $27.10 for 90 day supply, only $12.85 at Walgreens with goodrx coupon which is cheaper than the costco pricing.
That's amazing.
My vet wanted like, $50 for an antibiotic that I could get literally for free at the grocery store pharmacy. I never get meds at the vet unless it is an emergency.

Do any of you take really expensive medications? DH take Humira which without insurance runs about $10,000 per month.

I take two that are pricey but not in that league, one is $600/90days and the other is a tad more. My copay is $5. I pay ~$700/month plus Medicare ($135/month now? I forget) and DW will start on Medicare next month, the other remains unchanged. That said, I consider myself very, very lucky to have heavily subsidized health insurance from my former employer (we pay 30%). Between that and Medicare I rarely see a medical bill and when I do it's on the order of $5 or $10. With my cardiac issues I've run up multiples of six-figure bills in the last five years. It's been easy to see why otherwise financially stable and responsible people go bankrupt from medical bills.

Seeing some of the copays I see others posting, I'll take that deal. And I don't feel bad for the insurance companies. For about 25 years of my employment the only doctors I saw (aside from dental and eye exams) were the ones for the work-required physical exams, and only sporadically the last five years, but I was paying the premiums all that time.

I just transferred my prescription for my albuterol hfa inhaler to Amazon Pharmacy from CVS. I’m saving $82.50 for three inhalers. Much better than GoodRx too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom