Pride of Ownership

For electronics we don’t buy the most expensive as they don’t last anyways. Our furniture is all solid wood. I still have my antique dining room table and chairs that I bought 35 years ago. For stuffed furniture we buy medium quality. After 10 years I am sick of my couch even if it still looks okay. Our cars are 2008 and 10 with 50k/miles and 85k. Will have those for a long time .

I paid big bucks for my LG OLED screen and it rocks!

This group is a pretty conservative bunch in my estimation. Never the less I would like an opinion regarding owning "things" and minimal waste in our lives. For example when putting away our lawn furniture my DS exclaimed that we should get the record for lawn stuff lasting over 25 years. Likewise our inside furniture, kitchen (all white which I guess is back in fashion) other than a new faucet and 50 knobs is over 25 years old. DW's Lexus is 14 years old and spotless. We clean the street and gutters in front of out house. Old time German approach to belongings and an attitude of preservation.
I feel that this basic attitude contributes greatly to success, rather than discussions about AA, SWR and when to take SS. Thoughts?

Very funny because about 3 years ago we got rid of our still in great condition 41 year old Redwood outdoor furniture we received for my bridal shower! And- ready? We replaced it with NOTHING! Because we rarely entertain or sit on our deck and if we want to we take out our 2 camping chairs! LOL!:LOL:

1) I buy a lot of books and CDs (sometimes downloads though).

2) Bought a new Silverado Z-71 last October for the hikes using gnarly roads. I'm hoping it lasts 10-15 years (I only put 11000 miles on it this year, mostly long trips to Seattle/Cali). We'll see. Inspired by Robbie Blow the Dough thread.

3) I spent a lot on speakers which I've had 12 years and 10 years (in the man cave; these are Jamo bi-amped towers--side bi-amped woofers--with a matching middle speaker but I got them on clearance for....... 299$--the surrounds went to my youngest DS). The former electrostatics replaced my beloved JBL-100Ts (35 years old), which I gave to my son the winemaker after reconing--but they looked rough. I buy the other components as high as I can but on sale (high end Sony and Yamaha reciever). I'm still using my Stanton turntable (15 years), but am likely to replace it next year, finally. The replacement stylus pops. I have two pairs of >300$ headphones, one Sennheiser 590s that I've had 20 years, but replaced the cables twice. I might buy an electrostatic from Massdrop however; it's been a dream for 45 years.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much a value purchaser (cost/quality tradeoff).

I'm using my son's 60" LCD TV in the mancave here; it wasn't compatible with his receiver's HDMI (but it works fine for me and my Yamaha receiver down here). The Panasonic plasma TV upstairs (used by DW) is almost 15 years old, but I'm holding my breath for OLED big screens to go down below 2k or 1.5k; then a new one will go up on the wall.

Last edited:
I paid big bucks for my LG OLED screen and it rocks!

The 65" at Costco? DH and I have been ogling it, but haven't pulled the trigger because we have 3 good, large, flat screens :facepalm:. Maybe next Christmas (we're giving ourselves the XS Max this year).

^^^ yeah... why can't those older flat screens just die so we can justify getting the latest and greatest... I have one that just won't die.

^^^ yeah... why can't those older flat screens just die so we can justify getting the latest and greatest... I have one that just won't die.
I'm in the same predicament. I'm justifying buying the latest and greatest with the fact that I may die before the old one does and if that happened I would really regret waiting. :)

My problem with a new screen is most of the cable content is HD and my current screen handles that fine. Also, new TVs seem to have really cut back on speakers, expecting people to add a sound bar or home theater setup.

My problem with a new screen is most of the cable content is HD and my current screen handles that fine. Also, new TVs seem to have really cut back on speakers, expecting people to add a sound bar or home theater setup.
I can't believe you'd let those insignificant details get in the way of buying a new TV with a screen so large you have to step into the next room and watch it through the doorway.

A little different "take" on the subject that involves a look to the future.

We bought our "villa" in 2004, just a few years old. At the time, we bought all new furniture. In the past 14 years, we haven't had to replace anything of consequence.

We no longer entertain at home, as our social life usually centers on our Liberty Village CCRC "campus", so the decor becomes what we're comfortable with, and not to follow trends. Wear and tear is minimal.

The plan is to keep expenses low, and when the time comes for us to move into some part of our community... apartments, assisted living etc., we'll have the interior redone and updated... paint, carpeting (that's important for senior housing) and anything that shows wear. Experience shows that resale prices in the community are much higher for homes that don't need work. At this point, we look at the home value as part of our long term planning. Our cars, 96 Cadillac and 98 Town Car, look great, run great, and at a total of 3,000 mi./yr... and should last forever.

We won't do anything to update our Woodhaven lakefront getaway, as it will sell as-is for much more than we paid for it in 1989.

I guess the takeaway from all of this, is that we're happy with what we have today, and aren't too concerned about keeping up with the neighborhood. Just a continuation of our frugal lifestyle. It's peace of mind, knowing that we're good for the long term... safely calculated through our early 90's. Just imagine... by then, it will mean 40 years of retirement. :dance:

Last edited:

I've been watching TV through external speakers for decades so the speaker quality or lack of is a non-issue.

Late to the topic. I want to stick up for my MDF countertops! Don't call it particle board. :)

Crafted them myself 7 years ago to refresh the kitchen. Uses some of the best Formica brand laminate around, with custom edging. From any distance greater than 3 ft., looks like granite. When you use it, it is not harsh like granite. We love them, and loved making them. Very affordable way to refresh the kitchen.

But if we ever sell the house, the kitchen will be declared a hazard zone because there is no granite.

This thread go tme thinking to the oldest furniture pieces we had. None are "fancy", but they are functional. We find it hard to replace things that are old but still functioning well.

Our kitchen table is the first new piece of furniture I bought after I graduated from college 39 years ago. It was the kitchen/dining table for my first apartment. It has survived several moves and still looks good, primarily because we kept it covered while the kids were growing up.

I have a large desk that I bought for the then pricey sum of $500 after we moved into our first condo 34 years ago, and we had a room to use as a study. I made the mistake of ordering it and paying up front, and then had to hound the store for 3 months about getting the order from the factory. But it has also lasted and looks great.

I still have my Technics turntables from my college and post-college DJ moonlighting days. The cartridges have been replaced, but they function fine, and I now use them convert my vinyl record collection to digital media.

Though it has been boxed up for close to 20 years, I still have the first PC I bought, one of the first IBM Personal Computer models.

My justification would be that the older flat screens are much thicker than new ones and use a lot more electricity. We have an old one in our bedroom which we hardly use, but when we do use it, it heats up the room.

We have some relatives who are very much into pride of ownership.

The challenge is the ownership issue.

They have the pride but not the ownership. I do not know if even know, as they approach retirement, that they realize this. Ownership rests with the organization that provided the financing. It is why one of them is still working at 70.

My justification would be that the older flat screens are much thicker than new ones and use a lot more electricity. We have an old one in our bedroom which we hardly use, but when we do use it, it heats up the room.
Plasma screen? Some of those older models were vertical griddles.

Got one. 6 years old. I really like the softer yet brighter picture than LCD.

Being late generation, it doesn't run that hot, but yeah, throws a bit of heat.

We'll keep it until it dies. Since they don't sell them anymore, we'll move on. I think the newer LCDs address most of my concerns.

Didn't know about plasma screens, but no, the one we have is a 42 inch 720 LED or LCD (whichever came first) HDTV, which I believe is over 10 years old. It is thick and quite heavy, unlike new flat screens TV's.

Last edited:
Got one. 6 years old. I really like the softer yet brighter picture than LCD.

Being late generation, it doesn't run that hot, but yeah, throws a bit of heat.

+1 on the plasma screen picture. We bought one (LG) four years ago that we really liked but unfortunately it died after two years.

+1 on the plasma screen picture. We bought one (LG) four years ago that we really liked but unfortunately it died after two years.
+2

I’d get a new, larger plasma if it were an option, I’m not a big fan of the LEDs.

Wow, glad to hear other plasma fans out there!

Too bad we got voted off the island.

Today I had a great opportunity to replace the TV. Our HOA signed a new contract with Comcast and I got a new STB. The only way to connect it is HDMI, but my TV has two slots and they’re both taken. For now, the DVD player is disconnected. The grandkids will be back the week of Christmas, so I’ve got ‘til then to figure something out.

Today I had a great opportunity to replace the TV. Our HOA signed a new contract with Comcast and I got a new STB. The only way to connect it is HDMI, but my TV has two slots and they’re both taken. For now, the DVD player is disconnected. The grandkids will be back the week of Christmas, so I’ve got ‘til then to figure something out.

Too bad this didn't happen a week ago. There were some nice TV deals you just missed. :)

Of course you could always get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-HDMI-1-Out-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2

Last edited:
Too bad this didn't happen a week ago. There were some nice TV deals you just missed. :)
I know. Even if I could, I can't, as there’s another issue to deal with. The previous owner of our house had an entertainment center built in the family room. It’s really nice, well thought out, but has one issue - the TV set he used was rear projection, so it sat flush to a cutout area that is for a 4x3 type screen. The widescreen doesn’t fit. I have some ideas, but so far DW hasn’t bought. Until we can agree on how to fit a new screen, this one stays.

Back
Top Bottom