Printer Inkjet Strategy

And perversely, people are probably taking 100x more photos today than they did in the era of photo albums. And nobody will ever see 95% of them.

I think that's the reason for never sitting down and looking at old photos. Instead of a few highlights from each month, you have several hundred every month.

Makes me think it would be a good idea to put together a highlight album.

OTOH, the main comment made when going over old photos is, "Wow. Look at how much younger we were!"

Yes. Ten years since that post, and now I rarely print anything. I always laugh when in books or movies, they print everything out.

Here's a change that people might not realize: Years ago, we would occasionally sit down on the couch with family and go through old photo albums. True, that can be done today with a tablet, but I suspect it rarely happens.

That was one of the main reasons I got Apple TV (hardware). You can mirror your iPad. So, now we sit on the couch, the chairs, the floor, whatever and watch the TV as I scroll through the pictures. Not that we do it often, but when we do, it's enjoyable family time. But no, nothing gets printed anymore, at least not photos. DW scanned a bunch of them and that's the type of thing that will get us to look at different pictures.

I've noticed the same thing about photos. Think about this: 20 years from now when Facebook is a thing of the past, and all the cloud services have morphed into whatever is the next big thing, there will be a whole generation with no photos of their younger days.

I go through my digital photos, delete all the duplicates and blurry ones, label them, and organize them on a well-backed-up storage device.

From time to time, we'll use an on-line service like shutterfly to print a bound photo album book to give as a gift. People love them! We've done them for special events, and for a whole season of activities. Kids especially like them. When the family of a deceased man donated a boat to a cause he'd believed in, I made them a photo album of how it was used that whole first season. They loved seeing how his spirit lived on through their donation.

Photo albums are still great, and it's easy and inexpensive to produce some really nice ones nowadays. It's amazing how few people do this.

Don't print much anymore. About every two years, I get a discontinued wireless printer/scanner from Walmart for about $20, with enough ink to last.
Big problem is how to discard the used up printer.

Oh well... or is it Orwell?

This is relevant:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/crews-...printers-from-new-hampshire-property/28821947

SALEM, N.H. —
Crews are cleaning up thousands of printers from a Salem property that neighbors have been calling an eyesore.

Nadeau said some of the ink cartridges have been removed and likely sold. He estimated the property is filled with 5,000-7,000 printers, and removing them will cost $20,000 to $25,000.

It isn't a printer setting. In the document (this would be for a word processing document), set the color of the text to something other than black. I said BLUE above, you might want to try CYAN or MAGENTA, as each of those are a separate cartridge. YELLOW is the other cartridge (CMYK - the "K''/"Key" is black), but YELLOW is awfully hard to read.

-ERD50

k: "Didn't find anything initially and thought it was because it's a basic text edit program.......not a full-fledged WP........but eventually I found a picture on the menu bar.......looks like a choice of selecting any color on a rectangular color bar, not just the 4 basics...........so thanks for the idea........will give it a try soon ."

Well,I guess I counted my chickens before they hatched........printer will COPY in color (except black). I can change picture on the menu bar in the text editor to a specific color like blue but when I try to PRINT, there is nothing.

edit to add: just before I was going to surrender and ask for help, I got this(positive) premonition so went back to the text editor and hovered over that
square on the menu bar: it said click to change text color. I thought once I changed that color, it would print text in that color but on the second try I guessed correctly.........highlighted all the text and then changed the color in the menu bar. The text changed to blue and the printing was successful!

so thanks again ERD50. I guess my next letter will be red! Certainly non-conventional but certainly legible.

Here's a change that people might not realize: Years ago, we would occasionally sit down on the couch with family and go through old photo albums. True, that can be done today with a tablet, but I suspect it rarely happens.

Our phones are set to automatically upload recent photos to our home theater computer. All of our old photos and slides have been scanned into the collection.

Now we use the photo collection as a computer screen saver. We have our coffee and watch random photos pop up on the big TV. Lots of fun.

Our phones are set to automatically upload recent photos to our home theater computer.

OK, that got my interest.

I have no desire to send every photo I snap to Google, Apple or any other Evil Empire. If for no other reason, then because I end up going through and deleting probably 80-90% of them as blurry, duplicates or close-ups of my finger. That's easier to do locally than on the cloud.

But having them go directly to a NAS that I control would work. Tell me more.

k: "Didn't find anything initially and thought it was because it's a basic text edit program.......not a full-fledged WP........but eventually I found a picture on the menu bar.......looks like a choice of selecting any color on a rectangular color bar, not just the 4 basics...........so thanks for the idea........will give it a try soon ."

Well,I guess I counted my chickens before they hatched........printer will COPY in color (except black). I can change picture on the menu bar in the text editor to a specific color like blue but when I try to PRINT, there is nothing.

edit to add: just before I was going to surrender and ask for help, I got this(positive) premonition so went back to the text editor and hovered over that
square on the menu bar: it said click to change text color. I thought once I changed that color, it would print text in that color but on the second try I guessed correctly.........highlighted all the text and then changed the color in the menu bar. The text changed to blue and the printing was successful!

so thanks again ERD50. I guess my next letter will be red! Certainly non-conventional but certainly legible.

Glad it helped. All this just makes me so happy I switched to lasers though!

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom