Product shortages in your area ?

BJs sells a "nothing but peanuts" PB which is a pain in the neck. I need a stirring paddle on my electric drill to mix it up, and no matter how careful I am, peanut oil gets out of the jar, on my hands and all over the counter. I do like the way it tastes, but not for that much trouble.

The bit of sugar in PB doesn't bother me, although I'm not pleased to be eating palm oil, which isn't good for anybody.

The mixing is a bit of a pain. But DW didn't think I did a good enough job, so she has taken over that task, so now it's no trouble at all! :)

Sure, people will have different preferences, but mine are for zero sugar, I just don't like PB with sugar. Then I add (a little) jam, which has a lot of sugar! :LOL:

Maybe it's the contrast I like? Sweet jam and sweet PB would be too much for me? But I also like the no-sugar PB plain too (like on plain bread, a cracker, etc).

-ERD50

Everyone is beautiful at closing time! :D

To quote Paul Simon:

She looked me over
And I guess she thought
I was all right.
All right in a sort of a limited way
For an off-night.

So I need to replace the refrigerator at a vacant rental. The appliance company the property managers all deal with has exactly two stainless steel models in stock. I need black to match all the other appliances. Home Depot is out of stock, Lowes had one earlier, now sold. It's not a problem today, as the property also needs paint and carpet, but it will be in two weeks.

On the brighter side, the washing machine I use was in stock at the appliance place, at least it was earlier today. The property manager suggested renting without appliances, but that will likely lead to broken tiles and gouged vinyl plus potential leaks at the hook ups.

So I need to replace the refrigerator at a vacant rental. The appliance company the property managers all deal with has exactly two stainless steel models in stock. I need black to match all the other appliances. Home Depot is out of stock, Lowes had one earlier, now sold. It's not a problem today, as the property also needs paint and carpet, but it will be in two weeks.

On the brighter side, the washing machine I use was in stock at the appliance place, at least it was earlier today. The property manager suggested renting without appliances, but that will likely lead to broken tiles and gouged vinyl plus potential leaks at the hook ups.

Good luck on the fridge.

For our home, delivery is scheduled 2 months after purchase, and that is for a white side by side, with ice maker/water in door. The common type that has been around for over 20 years!

I was curious about 'All Natural' and "no-stir". To me "All Natural" PB means peanuts and salt, nothing else.

From Sam's site:

90% peanuts? That's a lot of "other stuff"! Let's see, my TJ PB is 140mg Sodium in 32 gram serving, so 99.5625% peanuts (and that's probably a rounding error in their whole numbers?).

Peanut butter by law has to have a minimum of 90% peanuts. So really any peanut butter at 90% is a minimum product (IMHO).

"Peanut butter produced in the United States contains a minimum of 90% peanuts, a maximum of 10% added ingredients including oil, sweeteners, and salt to enhance flavor or stabilizers to prevent oil separation, and the final product shall not contain greater than 55% fat (21 CFR 164.150) (Woodroof, 1983)."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/peanut-butter

BJs sells a "nothing but peanuts" PB which is a pain in the neck. I need a stirring paddle on my electric drill to mix it up, and no matter how careful I am, peanut oil gets out of the jar, on my hands and all over the counter. I do like the way it tastes, but not for that much trouble.

The bit of sugar in PB doesn't bother me, although I'm not pleased to be eating palm oil, which isn't good for anybody.

Yep, I made the mistake of buying one...it's like glue, but you have to mix it every time you use it because the peanut oil separates & floats on top.

Someone needs to sell a peanut butter that is just peanuts plus an emulsifier.

I tried a few natural PB products. The outcome was always the same. It wasn't just the separation and need to stir in the oil each time BUT once I did it was too loose and thin so I dripped everywhere. Made PB&J very messy to eat.

Cheers!

Yep, I made the mistake of buying one...it's like glue, but you have to mix it every time you use it because the peanut oil separates & floats on top.

Mix it up once. Do a thorough job. Refrigerate the peanut butter and it will stay mixed.

Now that I am used to PB that is nothing but peanuts and salt, the Big Name brands taste like overly sweet, over processed goo.

Last edited:
Speaking of running out...

DW informed me today we are down to our last TP roll and no paper towels left. Looks like I am off to the store today...:eek:

Mix it up once. Do a thorough job. Refrigerate the peanut butter and it will stay mixed.

Now that I am used to PB that is nothing but peanuts and salt, the Big Name brands taste like overly sweet, over processed goo.

Exactly what we do. Also agree that the Big Name PB tastes weird.

Same for Dry Roasted Peanuts. DW bought some at Aldi, they have all these additives - malto-dextrine, onion powder, maybe some form of yeast powder, etc. Didn't taste bad, but when I buy peanuts, I want peanuts (and salt).

She also bought Cashews at Aldi - I love cashews, hard to stop eating them. These didn't taste so great. The labels says cooked in peanut oil? What's peanut oil doing in my Cashews?

-ERD50

Six-week expedition to BJs. Only the biggest turkeys were left, and few of those. There was a whole case of turkey breasts, but we didn't buy. We like dark meat.

Nice-looking chicken breasts, with a limit of 2 packages per buyer.

They had rearranged the freezer cases, probably to disguise a skimpy selection of frozen seafood compared with past offerings.

No chocolate ice cream. No walnuts (they haven't had those for months).

Still no Lysol Power & Free spray. The only toilet bowl cleaners were harsh ones, with bleach or hydrochloric acid. I won't use those, since we are still on a septic tank (although the city intends to force everyone to convert to public sewer).

The dental care aisle was thin, too. No Reach floss. No disposable electric toothbrushes.

OTOH the produce selection was good.

Our bill was the highest we've ever had ($550.00 before rebates and coupons), without even buying any meat (we did buy salmon and shrimp). Nearly every item cost $1.00 or $.50 more than last time. The package of green peppers cost about the same, but with only 4 peppers instead of the 6 we used to get.

DW informed me today we are down to our last TP roll and no paper towels left. Looks like I am off to the store today...:eek:

I hope this does not escalate to a catastrophe for you. Do you still have some Kleenex or paper napkins for use in an emergency? ;)

By the way, for wiping kitchen counters and other cleaning tasks, we have been using kitchen towels, which are washable instead of disposable paper towels. We still use the latter for wiping really dirty or greasy kitchen hardware, but the washable towels are less expensive and greener, I believe.

I hope this does not escalate to a catastrophe for you. Do you still have some Kleenex or paper napkins for use in an emergency? ;)

By the way, for wiping kitchen counters and other cleaning tasks, we have been using kitchen towels, which are washable instead of disposable paper towels. We still use the latter for wiping really dirty or greasy kitchen hardware, but the washable towels are less expensive and greener, I believe.

I have a bundle of shop rags in the garage I bought at Harbor Freight. Some have oil and grease stains on them, but I believe some are unused. We are good to go until I make that Costco run later.

I'm pretty sure we are out of or low on napkins and Kleenex too!

Good Luck! I'm guessing you'll have no problem. However:

I don't ever want to let myself get that low. After the shortage last year, we built a stash and replace it as we go as the store runs sales. Sure, I could live without TP (have a bidet seat) and paper towels (cloth works just fine), but I appreciate the convenience of those products to make a reasonable effort not to run out but not to go as far as hording.

Good Luck! I'm guessing you'll have no problem. However:

I don't ever want to let myself get that low. After the shortage last year, we built a stash and replace it as we go as the store runs sales. Sure, I could live without TP (have a bidet seat) and paper towels (cloth works just fine), but I appreciate the convenience of those products to make a reasonable effort not to run out but not to go as far as hording.

I'll have to let DW know she is falling down on her inventory control job and needs to step up her game. (I'm sure that will go over well!!):LOL:

Thanks for the idea on a bidet!

Went to Costco last night. Totally out of TP. Second time. Luckily, we didn't really need it now, but still....
did buy protein bars, multivits, and impulse buy of chocolate caramel macadamia clusters:facepalm: Haven't had those for a couple of years. Usually able to limit myself to one a day, so they last a while, unless the kids get into them when they are here!

Checked the cat food shelves during my weekly grocery run. Yep, empty, however, the now empty spots are filled with small bags of dry cat food. They didn't fool me :LOL:; the shelves were still empty.

Went to Costco last night. Totally out of TP. Second time. Luckily, we didn't really need it now, but still....
did buy protein bars, multivits, and impulse buy of chocolate caramel macadamia clusters:facepalm: Haven't had those for a couple of years. Usually able to limit myself to one a day, so they last a while, unless the kids get into them when they are here!

Sanders salted chocolate covered caramels are on sale now... milk and dark, depending on location. $6.95 for 36 oz is a screaming deal!

Six-week expedition to BJs. Only the biggest turkeys were left, and few of those. There was a whole case of turkey breasts, but we didn't buy. We like dark meat.

Nice-looking chicken breasts, with a limit of 2 packages per buyer.

They had rearranged the freezer cases, probably to disguise a skimpy selection of frozen seafood compared with past offerings.

No chocolate ice cream. No walnuts (they haven't had those for months).

Still no Lysol Power & Free spray. The only toilet bowl cleaners were harsh ones, with bleach or hydrochloric acid. I won't use those, since we are still on a septic tank (although the city intends to force everyone to convert to public sewer).

The dental care aisle was thin, too. No Reach floss. No disposable electric toothbrushes.

OTOH the produce selection was good.

Our bill was the highest we've ever had ($550.00 before rebates and coupons), without even buying any meat (we did buy salmon and shrimp). Nearly every item cost $1.00 or $.50 more than last time. The package of green peppers cost about the same, but with only 4 peppers instead of the 6 we used to get.

+1
No walnuts unless you are a squirrel here either. Amazon to the rescue their brand is very nice.
Our grocery store has been lacking cheese too.

TP notes: Remember never to flush Kleenex or paper towels!

As for bidet seats; the air-dryer is pretty lame. A certain amount of TP is still needed.

Charmin is still in stock at Target. Free delivery, although they did just raise the price $2.00 for the 30 roll pack. When Costco was out of stock, I decided to roll the dice. Paid a bit more, but boxed and on my porch within 24 hours.

I'll have to let DW know she is falling down on her inventory control job and needs to step up her game. (I'm sure that will go over well!!):LOL:

My wife does a very good job of keeping everything well stocked. Sometimes way too well when she found a good deal on household products or food stuff.

I am just playing chauffeur to drive her on grocery and shopping errands. She does not want to drive, and I need to get out of the house, so it works out OK.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom