Product shortages in your area ?

So you, like us, are still bitter about that even though it's been at least 10 years since ice cream came in 1/2 gallon cartons. :LOL:

BJ's Wellsley Farms brand still comes in 1/2 gal, though, and it's pretty good, especially the chocolate.

I'll bring a 1.5 qt. half-gallon of ice cream to the meeting. :eek: :D

weird shortage of Saltines (all brands) today at publix. I wasn't shopping for them, but noticed the big vacant shelf spots.

So you, like us, are still bitter about that even though it's been at least 10 years since ice cream came in 1/2 gallon cartons. :LOL:

Oh yes, I'm still infuriated by that. One must keep the important things in mind.:)

The one kind of cat food that my elderly cats will eat is currently out of stock at Chewy. This happened one other time earlier this year, and it came back within a couple of weeks, IIRC.

I always order a month's worth of food, so I probably have enough to last them until it is available again.

The one kind of cat food that my elderly cats will eat is currently out of stock at Chewy. This happened one other time earlier this year, and it came back within a couple of weeks, IIRC.

I always order a month's worth of food, so I probably have enough to last them until it is available again.

Canned cat food, especially Friskies, has been in and out of stock at Chewy's and Amazon on and off for quite awhile. I always have at least two months' worth on hand. Fortunately, Costco has not been out of the Kirkland dry food yet, but I'm always a full bag ahead there too.

Canned cat food, especially Friskies, has been in and out of stock at Chewy's and Amazon on and off for quite awhile. I always have at least two months' worth on hand. Fortunately, Costco has not been out of the Kirkland dry food yet, but I'm always a full bag ahead there too.

Yup, I bought their canned food on Amazon for years, then they were out of it for months during 2020, then it sporadically came back but at an astronomical price that I refuse to pay.

So, I switched to Chewy earlier this year, which worked great for a while. Now they too are experiencing the dreaded "out of stock" scenario!

I may have to start ordering a six-week supply rather than one month's worth.

Made me look. Chewy is out of both our little guy's favorite flavors of the prescription food he has to have, but the local Petsmart supposedly has some in stock. We have a fair amount on hand, but the urge to go hoarding is calling me.

Went on my weekly trip to Aldi's today in NC.

I've never seen so many empty shelves. Huge sections wiped out. All kinds of frozen, pasta, paper towels, toilet paper, condiments, several types of meat.

I don't know if a supply problem or people getting nervous and hoarding or both. Very strange.

I was at the hardware store yesterday, the aisle with various chemcial mineral spirits and things such as turpentine and paint thinner looked very skimpy. OTOH, everything else - paint, brushes, rollers, drop cloths, etc. was well stocked.

I got gasoline today for the first time since December 11th, and was startled to see that about half the gas pumps had plastic bags tied over the nozzle (out of gas at that pump).

I know that gas prices are going up, but was not expecting a shortage? Maybe it was just that one gas station. :confused:

At least there were no lines. Gas was $4.19 for regular, which is high for my suburb.

I got gasoline today for the first time since December 11th, and was startled to see that about half the gas pumps had plastic bags tied over the nozzle (out of gas at that pump).

I know that gas prices are going up, but was not expecting a shortage? Maybe it was just that one gas station. :confused:

At least there were no lines.

No gas shortages here (Houston). All pumps open at all stations I drove by this morning.

Reactions: W2R

At least there were no lines. Gas was $4.19 for regular, which is high for my suburb.

Maybe a mechanical issue? The pumps are generally all connected to the same tanks.

Went on my weekly trip to Aldi's today in NC.

I've never seen so many empty shelves. Huge sections wiped out. All kinds of frozen, pasta, paper towels, toilet paper, condiments, several types of meat.

I don't know if a supply problem or people getting nervous and hoarding or both. Very strange.

Since 2020 I have been keeping enough paper towels and toilet paper to last me maybe 6-9 months. Probably qualifies as minor hoarding, I suppose. Maybe others are doing the same.

Might be worth trying a different store? Good luck!

Since 2020 I have been keeping enough paper towels and toilet paper to last me maybe 6-9 months. Probably qualifies as minor hoarding, I suppose. Maybe others are doing the same.

Might be worth trying a different store? Good luck!

Keep in mind that it is only hoarding if items are already scarce. You are stocking up in case there are shortages. You are part of the solution - not part of the problem.:greetings10:

I had a little time to kill in town, so wandered into a Dollar Tree.

What shocked me was not that items are $1.25 versus $1.00. It was the lack of variety and quality, compared with the last time (some years ago) that I perused a dollar store. Fully a third of the store was devoted to party decorations.

Plastic items, such as baskets, were small and flimsy. I remember, in the past, buying half-a-dozen sturdy, stacking storage baskets for $1.00 each; still have them. Nothing remotely like them was on offer.

They did have packs of 4 off-brand AA batteries for $1.25, which is a bargain if you only need four batteries (and you need them NOW).

I've attempted to get chicken at Aldi three times over the last two weeks, and the shelf is bare. I like to get the family sized package of chicken breasts. Nada. It is very strange. I asked about it and they said they can't predict when a shipment comes. What is going on with chicken processing I wonder?

Pasta shelf at Wal Mart the last two times I've been at the store, which was last Friday, March 4, and Feb 25.

Pasta Shelf 022522.jpg

I've attempted to get chicken at Aldi three times over the last two weeks, and the shelf is bare. I like to get the family sized package of chicken breasts. Nada. It is very strange. I asked about it and they said they can't predict when a shipment comes. What is going on with chicken processing I wonder?

Isn't it odd how it's different by region, chain, store? My local Fresh Market still does their discounted 2.99 chicken breast on Tuesdays, like they have for years, and there's been no shortage that I see there or Costco.

Isn't it odd how it's different by region, chain, store? My local Fresh Market still does their discounted 2.99 chicken breast on Tuesdays, like they have for years, and there's been no shortage that I see there or Costco.

I assume that just like any time there are product shortages, some places will feel the pinch sooner than others.

Even though some places are still well stocked that may not last.

Not noting anything persistent here on northern Va.

I'd say stock in general low more often but nothing I regularly buy.

+1. Our generation's version of PTSD, which future generations will mock in years to come.
:LOL:

Long before Covid ever occurred, we had adopted a policy of keeping several month's worth of consumables (canned foods and household products) on hand. We've got plenty of room to store them and it obviates the need for panic buying. I buy canned goods by the case, keep track of the expiration dates and donate them to the food pantry at church before they expire. Then I buy a new case of the same thing. On our weekly shopping runs, I buy what we need for the week, put the new stuff in storage behind the old stuff and bring the equivalent old stuff out to the kitchen for use, so we rotate our stock.

Last edited:
"At this time" I'm not seeing any shortages in my area. We were in Walmart yesterday and everything we normally buy seemed to be fully stocked. Looking around the store there may have been an empty shelf or two but not many. No gas lines, plenty of open pumps but high prices...

I did notice less traffic on the highway the past few days. (Except for big trucks) Maybe that was just an anomaly, but then again, maybe not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom