Prove cost basis non covered MF shares (no records)

A thing to remember with Roth conversions is that they are irrevocable. Once you push that "submit" button on a Roth conversion, there is no "undo" procedure if you change your mind later in the year based on new information. (There used to be; there isn't any more.)

That sometimes means it's helpful to do Roth conversions towards the end of the year when you know your full income and tax picture.

There are reasons to do them at the beginning of the year or even in the middle of the year sometimes, but that's a more advanced discussion.

I just looked up my RMD at 73 OMG.

Ridiculous that I am broke as hell now and will have too much income if I live that long. I guess my taxes will be higher than I thought. . . . :(

Seems like punishment for trying to save money. Should have had more fun.

Last edited:

Ridiculous that I am broke as hell now and will have too much income if I live that long. I guess my taxes will be higher than I thought. . . . :(

Seems like punishment for trying to save money.

Make sure you're calculating it right. It should be between three and four percent of your IRA balance when you're 73.

Not punishment, just the prescribed end of the tax deferral.

You can help mitigate the problem by Roth conversions, as @pb4uski has been mentioning.

Seems like punishment for trying to save money. Should have had more fun.

That's why it's called tax-deferred and not tax-free! :facepalm:

It makes no sense that someone would be "broke as hell now" and will have "too much income later". You must be misinterpreting something or are embellishing because you are upset that you have to pay taxes on tax-deferred withdrawals.

If your taxes will be higher than you thought then you didn't think things through or you are badatmath. :D

Even though your taxes are higher than you thought if you are typical your taxes paid on any tax-deferred withdrawals will be far less than the taxes saved when you deferred that income.

I think that I'm fairly typical... I saved 28%-32% in federal tax when I deferred that income and will be paying 10-17% when I withdraw it or convert it to a Roth. I also saved ~7% in state income taxes when I deferred that income and will pay 0% when I withdraw or convert it because I now live in a state with no income tax. So together, I am saving 25% - 22% in tax!

Last edited:
Make sure you're calculating it right. It should be between three and four percent of your IRA balance when you're 73.

Not punishment, just the prescribed end of the tax deferral.

You can help mitigate the problem by Roth conversions, as @pb4uski has been mentioning.

I got more than that so I must be doing it wrong it was more like 6%. But either way I was expecting my RMD to be less. 3-4 would still be more than my salary (once added to pension and SS). And that would be the pension I wanted to increase to prevent me eating cat food in my 70s. . .

That's why it's called tax-deferred and not tax-free! :facepalm:

It makes no sense that someone would be "broke as hell now" and will have "too much income later". You must be misinterpreting something or are embellishing because you are upset that you have to pay taxes on tax-deferred withdrawals.

If your taxes will be higher than you thought then you didn't think things through or you are badatmath. :D

Well of course I expected to pay tax. I did NOT expect to earn more in retirement than when w*rking but that may be the case. It doesn't make sense but . . . it looked like it. But as you say I am probably confused and definitely badatmath. I will have to start over with fresh eyes another day

And as my income since 4/1/23 has been a $97 rebate check yes I think it is fair to say I'm feeling very broke and not enjoying it but have been trying to play the long game and hang in there. Apparently I am not even playing with the right pieces and the rules are in another language.

Keep in mind too that the pension (which I haven't started) is so low if i took it next month I'd qualify for like reduced utilities and stuff if i was a little older. (It was on my last bill so I checked).

Last edited:
Figure it this way.

When you deferred all that income that is in your tax-deferred accounts today, you expected that your income taxes in retirement would be lower that your income taxes when you deferred that income, right? Otherwise, you never would have deferred that income.

If it turns out that you were wrong, that your tax rate in retirement will actually be more than when you deferred that income, then tax-deferral didn't work for you... BUT it alos means that you ended up being much more financially successful than you thought that you would be... so that is good, right.

So, you are either saving on taxes or ended up much more financial successful that you expected to be... either way, you win! :dance:

The age 73 divisor is 26.5. So take your current IRA balance, increase it by whatever you think your investment returns will be between now and age 73, then divide that number by 26.5. That'll be your RMD dollar amount for your first year.

If you're broke now and have too much income later, there are ways to even things out. How old are you now?

Figure it this way.

When you deferred all that income that is in your tax-deferred accounts today, you expected that your income taxes in retirement would be lower that your income taxes when you deferred that income, right? Otherwise, you never would have deferred that income.

If it turns out that you were wrong, that your tax rate in retirement will actually be more than when you deferred that income, then tax-deferral didn't work for you... BUT it alos means that you ended up being much more financially successful than you thought that you would be... so that is good, right.

So, you are either saving on taxes or ended up much more financial successful that you expected to be... either way, you win! :dance:

I guess that is a nice way to think of it but I'd have preferred a little less sucess and a little more fun along the way. Also, my current home is in a pretty marginal location for safety and it is trending down. But my house is below median price and I cannot easily trade it for a different one. I am not one who can just sell and downsize - it would be an upsize with a need to bring a substantial balance to the table.

The age 73 divisor is 26.5. So take your current IRA balance, increase it by whatever you think your investment returns will be between now and age 73, then divide that number by 26.5. That'll be your RMD dollar amount for your first year.

If you're broke now and have too much income later, there are ways to even things out. How old are you now?

55. "Too much" would not even register as "enough" for most of you I'm sure. At current balance my RMD would be about 50K so less than I first feared but more than I ever considered. I am too bad at math to guess what it would grow to by 73. I expected IDK perhaps half that. I'd still prefer the pension higher only because I can't screw it up or lose it.

It is no wonder I seldom post in the money forum I clearly don't know anything about it.

Thank you both very much for your help.

Last edited:
Thanks, SecondCor521. I don't see how I can use specific id with no statements to back myself up for the earliest years but I will see what NT says. Back then I was buying every payday so there would be at least 26 transactions per year I think.
There is price data out there. It is possible to reconstruct.

You could do it by payday, by month, by year.

But you need to know how much you invested and when.

If this potential sale would be taxed at 0% then there is no sense to fretting about the basis at all. Or perhaps you can split the sale so the non-covered shares are 0% taxed.

Am I understanding you correctly that NT is saying that for covered shares the basis based on average cost is $65.82/share and that the average cost basis for non-covered shares is $48.11/share? If so, I would use whatever Northern Trust provides you since you do not have any better information that can be used as evidence. And just cross your fingers that the various custodians over the years have keep track of the non-covered shares basis correctly.
Who would question NT's records?

IRS has no way to reconstruct it that's different from any method OP could use.

Last edited:
55. "Too much" would not even register as "enough" for most of you I'm sure. At current balance my RMD would be about 50K so less than I first feared but more than I ever considered. I am too bad at math to guess what it would grow to by 73. I expected IDK perhaps half that. I'd still prefer the pension higher only because I can't screw it up or lose it.

It is no wonder I seldom post in the money forum I clearly don't know anything about it.

Here's an intro article to some options you have to even out your income. It describes three options you have (Roth conversion ladder, SEPP, and just pay the 10% penalty):

https://www.madfientist.com/how-to-access-retirement-funds-early/

I skimmed it and it looked like it might be good for you based on your handle here. :) At least the first part where he lays out the three options. (*)

I'm guessing you don't have a 401(k) or similar at a job you left this year. (If you did, there might be a fourth option in addition to the three mentioned above.)

(*) He does get some very very minor technicalities wrong, but at least it's a starting point for you to learn about some of the options. If you like any of the options there then you can dig into them more or people here can probably answer questions about them.

Here's an intro article to some options you have to even out your income. It describes three options you have (Roth conversion ladder, SEPP, and just pay the 10% penalty):

I skimmed it and it looked like it might be good for you based on your handle here. :) At least the first part where he lays out the three options. (*)

I'm guessing you don't have a 401(k) or similar at a job you left this year. (If you did, there might be a fourth option in addition to the three mentioned above.)

(*) He does get some very very minor technicalities wrong, but at least it's a starting point for you to learn about some of the options. If you like any of the options there then you can dig into them more or people here can probably answer questions about them.

The money I wish I had not saved so much of is in a 401K. I'd have just saved it somewhere else or spent it on a better life if I could do over. I will check the article in the morning when I am in a less cranky frame of mind. Odds of me living to even 73 are not that great - not to say I have a ton of issues but almost none of my family has lived that long. (No they didn't smoke - they just . . . died).

Last edited:
There is price data out there. It is possible to reconstruct.

You could do it by payday, by month, by year.

But you need to know how much you invested and when.

NT might be able to get my actual old transactions (not just old prices) depending on if the previous admins have them on file.

The money I am whining about now is in a 401K. I understand it would be possible to take without penalty since rule of 55. (Not 100% sure my plan allows this).

It just never occurred to me that I'd even want to/could afford to/if allowed to by plan. And now I have no pension strategy which I thought I had figured out.

Last edited:
The money I am whining about now is in a 401K. I understand it would be possible to take without penalty since rule of 55. (Not 100% sure my plan allows this).

It just never occurred to me that I'd even want to/could afford to/if allowed to by plan. And now I have no pension strategy which I thought I had figured out.

You can call the 401(k) plan administrator and find out. Or ask to see the full plan document and look for yourself; the info should be in there.

It's puzzling to me if you have too much money in the 401(k) and only $97 of income and think your life expectancy is 18 years or less and know one of the ways to take it why you wouldn't.

It's probably the "afford to" part. Have you run FIREcalc with your numbers or posted a case study here? People are usually pretty generous with their help here on those sorts of things.

If it turns out the plan lets you and you want to and can afford to, I don't know what other obstacles there would be to doing so. Maybe fear of doing the math wrong or end of life expenses.

... 55. "Too much" would not even register as "enough" for most of you I'm sure. At current balance my RMD would be about 50K so less than I first feared but more than I ever considered. I am too bad at math to guess what it would grow to by 73. I expected IDK perhaps half that. I'd still prefer the pension higher only because I can't screw it up or lose it.

Well lucky for you, I'm decent at math.

Your 50K RMD based on current balance *26.5 = $1,350,000 today.

At 3% growth in 18 years at age 73 it would be $2.26 million, at 5% it would be $3.19 million and at 7% it would be $4.48 million.

Formula is $1,350,000*(1+i)^(73-55).

Or using FIRECalc with beginning portfolio of $1,350,000, $1 spending, 18 years and 50/50 AA:
... FIRECalc looked at the 135 possible 18 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $1,325,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.

Here is how your portfolio would have fared in each of the 135 cycles. The lowest and highest portfolio balance at the end of your retirement was $1,295,304 to $6,804,025, with an average at the end of $3,120,336. ...

Last edited:
...The money I am whining about now is in a 401K. I understand it would be possible to take without penalty since rule of 55. (Not 100% sure my plan allows this).

You should look into 72t or SEPP (substantial equal periodic payments). You should be able to withdraw $30-65k annually without any early withdrawal penalty.

Yeah I realized that money won't be worth much by the time I get to 73 so really isn't anything. Numbers more different than I expected that is all.

This might have already been mentioned but just in case -

Covered shares are shares bought on or after January 1, 2011 and subsequently sold.

Uncovered shares are shares bought before January 1, 2011 and subsequently sold.

I think this means that prior to 2011, brokerage firms or companies were not required to report cost bases.

My parents sold some stock that they had been accumulating since the 1950s. I entered everything in Quicken that I could figure out (purchases, sales and dividends), we guessed on the rest and reported it on their tax return. As long as you try to figure it out and are honest, you will probably be fine.

Just keep good records of the sales and which lots you sell if you don't sell all.

NetBasis.com

Contact NetBasis.com

Not sure if they can help with mutual funds or just work with stocks.

Back
Top Bottom