Psychotherapy helpful?

Having spent the past few years researching in psychology, I would differentiate between several "levels" of psychotherapy, or perhaps widening things a bit, "talking therapies".

If you have a reasonably clearly defined mental health problem such as addiction, OCD, or anxiety/depression then an evidence-based therapy with a clinical psychologist can help.

If you have long-term emotional issues then a good psychotherapist can help. Shop around. Ask your potential therapist to give you a short introduction to their theoretical position. If it sounds like a cult then walk away.

If you have a personality disorder or a severe psychosis then you probably need a psychiatrist, who can prescribe medication. Clinical psychologists typically cannot do that, although they will work with your regular doctor for things like antidepressants.

If you have a transient but major life issue (death of a close family member, divorce, etc) then there is a form of short-term psychotherapy that is often called "counseling" that can help. (But the word "counseling" is also often used to mean many other things. Carl Rogers invented this word because he couldn't get accepted as a "psychotherapist" because he rejected Freud's ideas.)

Finally, if you have some difficulties in seeing ahead clearly, perhaps as described by the OP, you can find yourself an existential coach. This is simultaneously a disclaimer and a shameless plug, because I work (a little - I'm FIREd, after all!) as an existential coach. :)

Note that all of the above categories can overlap and interact. None of this should be considered as professional advice. I can try and answer more questions by DM.

+1
In general, counseling/therapy doesn't hurt and usually helps define issues and guide you to answers that are correct for you. YMMV

I have only utilized therapy/counseling a few times. A couple were mediocre - you got the feeling they were very reliant on tools and proscribed interpretations. Lots of questionairres. Catch phrases (although I still use the term 'crazy-making' from one guy).

Then there was this one lady who I saw during a period of self-inflicted turmoil and anxiety. She laser-focused and pinpointed many things. I just talked and answered questions. It is because of her that I first realized that I had, in fact, been raised in a fundamentalist religious home, and the impact that has had on my life ever since. I consider it a big turning point for me.

So it depends on the therapist. For much of my life I laughed at the concept of therapy. It seemed like something rich New Yorkers do for a hobby. I don't laugh about it any more...

I'm in my early fifties and reasonably happy with life but find myself in a bit of a mental rut in some ways-spending a lot of time thinking about my finances and existential musings about what will be drivers of happiness (and unhappiness) in the future for me....

Oh, darn !!
Does this mean I need brain training as well ??

No, it means you are looking forward and seeing that your life is drastically going to change by being retired.
And that the comforting weekly paycheck will not be there, so how will you live/exist/thrive while living off your savings ?

It means you are smart enough to recognize the next 30+ years are a big unknown and of course this can cause anxiety/worry and repeated "what-if" thoughts about your savings and spending and where to live, and the world calamities that might affect you.

You are normal and aware/smarter than normal dolts wandering around in a fog having no idea what a SWR is.

Not for me to give advice, but as a self appointed professional observer of people, and a one-time psychologist hopeful, my thinking is that we are all built on the same foundation, and that position in life is a function of ego.

No one's own ego, but the ego of others. We fit in by measuring ourselves with regard to others. Wealth, Freedom, Position, Power, Personality, Confidence, Luck, Health, Strength.

Then what "they" do, or what "they" have.

Travel, Party, Belong, Operate, Instruct, Lead,

Houses, Cars, Stuff, Summer homes, Businesses, Trophy Wives:blush:

We're always in in a position of competition, envy, frustration, hope, disappointment, and yeah, a measure of hate. Highs, lows, and "not sures".

But with all of that, times where the "what if's" take over. The good ones are usually temporary highs... Promotions, raises, windfalls, the "right" person, and maybe winning the lottery.

Unfortunately, the good things are not usually the stuff of happy dreams, or for some reason slide into the category of "normal", rather than success.

So we (the all encompassing generic "WE") keep all of the uncertainty, worry, anxiety and concern at the top of our psyche. "Happy" is almost always in the future, simply because...
..........................................................................................
Methinks that anyone who isn't in the middle of this, just isn't normal. So what to do? My own solution is to list, mentally or on paper, the worst scenarios.. and then to put them aside. Part two, is to set up the ideal, and to put the think effort into the means to that end...
.........................................................................................
Condensed version:
Out of career position to own business stopped by cancer scare.
Not enough money to retire according to financial advisor. Needed five more years of employment.
Planned, planned, planned for a less costly life.
Learned better, less expensive ways
Decided it was me and mine... not what the other guy thought and did.

Boil it down... okay?... Give it a try on one's own terms... young enough to recover if necessary. Having a good buddy along the way helps. Listen, learn
but it's gotta be a personal roadmap.

Back
Top Bottom