Putting auto insurance out to bid

Unfortunately I found that if you have an umbrella policy - your home and auto need to be with the same company.
So I found it to be an "all or nothing" - same company with home/auto/umbrella
I wouldn't assume that.

We have our home insurance with Armed Forces Insurance (AFI.org). We've had personal-property policies and homeowner's policies with them for over 25 years. Admittedly they're not very good at avoiding losses in hurricane-prone areas, let alone making money, and they may start restricting policies or jacking up the premiums. But they offer good service and we've only made a few claims.

AFI doesn't issue auto policies directly, but in Hawaii they partner with Progressive.

We have our auto insurance with USAA (nearly 30 years). They're a lot cheaper than GEICO & Progressive and we haven't had a rate increase in at least two years. Currently USAA won't issue homeowner's policies in [-]hurricane[/-] Hawaii unless it's a first-time purchase, but when they were writing policies they were more expensive than AFI. But then USAA is probably a lot more financially stable than AFI.

We have umbrella liability insurance with AFI. They don't quibble about the auto policy being with USAA but they require a certain minimum level of auto liability before the umbrella kicks in. Never had to make a liability claim and I hope we never do.

USAA's umbrella liability insurance is way more expensive than AFI.

I don't think mileage has much of an affect on the auto insurance rate. I would say you were being ripped off in prior years.

I was told in the past that it didn't matter, but since I was spending time on my auto insurance I asked about it. It turns out it does matter, but I can't remember how much. I got one quote, lower than Progressive, than another lower one after the low mileage came up, under 7500 per year. They ask for regular proof of my mileage. I had to ask for the discount.

I think I was gouged a bit in earlier years, but I have to take into account I got older. Frankly, for a solid ten years I didn't ask anything about my insurance.

USAA gives about a 5% discount for low mileage and they have not asked for proof of mileage for about 15 years now. They used to send out a form every year to fill out the mileage but, as I said, they stopped. They also give a newer vehicle discount (5%) and a "Premier Driver Discount" (guess that means long time customer or just old drivers) of about 7.5%. The USAA umbrella ($1MM-5MM) required we carry $300K liability on the car and the home.

I wouldn't assume that.

We have our home insurance with Armed Forces Insurance (AFI.org). We've had personal-property policies and homeowner's policies with them for over 25 years. Admittedly they're not very good at avoiding losses in hurricane-prone areas, let alone making money, and they may start restricting policies or jacking up the premiums. But they offer good service and we've only made a few claims.

AFI doesn't issue auto policies directly, but in Hawaii they partner with Progressive.

We have our auto insurance with USAA (nearly 30 years). They're a lot cheaper than GEICO & Progressive and we haven't had a rate increase in at least two years. Currently USAA won't issue homeowner's policies in [-]hurricane[/-] Hawaii unless it's a first-time purchase, but when they were writing policies they were more expensive than AFI. But then USAA is probably a lot more financially stable than AFI.

We have umbrella liability insurance with AFI. They don't quibble about the auto policy being with USAA but they require a certain minimum level of auto liability before the umbrella kicks in. Never had to make a liability claim and I hope we never do.

USAA's umbrella liability insurance is way more expensive than AFI.

Thanks for info. I don't know about the "association" insurance companies - but all the "public" insurance companies I investigated required home/auto/umbrella all to be in same place.

I've never been in service, father was in Korea. Looking at websites, looks like children of serviceman is possible. However USAA looked like it would require father to join USAA. Maybe I can get some quotes and check out further.

I courious about the actual dollars we are talking about here.
$425 - Townhouse ins - cost apx 300K includes furnishing replacement
$900/yr - auto & trailer ins - 2000 Dodge dakota w/500 or 1000 deductable - I forgot
- no ticktes
- live outside the Atl.

I don't think I could do much better then what I have through Erie. It's all bundled for maximum discounts. My rates won't go up at all if I make any claims. I keep trying to find ways to lower my car insur. Just got a 7% discount for switching to annual pmt.

$960 car insur for 2 vehicles 2000 & 2003
$550 home ins for 285k house
$135 for 1 mil umbrella ins

Anyone know any online companies besides the above that offer Auto + Umbrella? (I know that each insurer only offers certain policies in certain areas).

USAA does if you qualify -- I think you need a military connection to qualify to buy their insurance products.

I used to shop my auto and home policies around every six months or so but gave up. Every single time I've tried, USAA has been cheaper by far.

2Cor521

Without knowing the coverage limits, deductible amounts, accident and violation record, etc. comparisons are not too meaningful.

Don't forget also USAA has "savings accounts" for some members whereby they, in effect, receive a rebate every year. This makes the premium considerably lower and should be considered when shopping.

A am with State Farm for the whole shabang - I had to have vehicles and home with them to get the umbrella - 5 years ago I even bought some CDs from their bank(wish I could get those rates now)
I am in pretty close contact with my agent and his people - being involved with your policies and asking questions has kept my costs down. I got an older van(heavy and plenty of airbags) and called to have it insured and they gave me a quote of $68 per month. I stopped in and asked if there was a better price - since it was my 4rth vehicle(including motorcycle) they could call it an "extra vehicle" and the cost was $33. per month. I pay monthly for all insurance(auto-deduct) - it is very convenient.

My daughter just got her license :-/ They gave me a quote of $65. more on the van (now you know why I got the van!) - I am stopping in there this week to talk.....

I agree comparisons aren't too useful without coverage information. My new six month premium is 226.90. I dropped collision on my 2001 Honda Accord. I have full glass and comprehensive coverage. I have 500,000 bodily injury coverage limits and underinsured coverage. I get four discounts.

I worked in negligence defense for awhile, long enough to learn plaintiffs sue for insurance coverage, not more unless you are special.

I subscribe to the philosophy I first heard from my aunt. If I hurt anyone, I want them to be compensated.

I thought about an umbrella policy, since I have three policies with the same insurer, but my agent told me it's not a good idea.

kate

Should I drop the collision on my 2000 van? It has 100k miles on it and the kbb resale value in 'good' condition is 8k. I plan on keeping it for another 100k miles.

I have to dig up paper work to see what my collision premium is.

I
I thought about an umbrella policy, since I have three policies with the same insurer, but my agent told me it's not a good idea.

Kate - I'd ask your agent WHY it's not a good idea.

Not a good idea because the umbrella is typically cheaper $ for $ coverage, and he's afraid you'd reduce your other coverages and [-]he'd make less commission[/-] your total insurance payments would go down? :)

Depending on what your limits are, you could consider dropping your coverages on your 3 policies and add in an umbrella to give you additional coverage on all of your policies.

HOWEVER - most insurers will require minimums in certain policies to give you an umbrella (IIRC, State Farm required that I carry 250/500 liability coverage on my auto policy to have a $1MM umbrella. I wanted to lower it since I was getting an umbrella, but they said "no dice").

Back
Top Bottom